The X Files: I Want to Believe

JCRJCR Posts: 24,068
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ouch at this review: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/37560

I really hope it's not as bad as that says, but Billy Connolly as a
psychic paedophile!
does not exactly fill me with confidence.

Comments

• JimmyJoeJimmyJoe Posts: 17,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really looking forward to seeing it!

Not reading the reviews as I want to avoid spoilers- but of course I've no self control so I did read your spoiler :o:D

Looks good though I thought!

LOL Indeed random casting with Billy but looking forward to seeing how he does in the role!
  • scoobyju1scoobyju1 Posts: 1,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, looks good. The adverts on the tv make it look as though it's going to be really good.

For anyone who's interested, there's a fab interview with them both in this months Empire magazine.
  • IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    I can't imagine that anyone in their right mind takes any notice of AICN's 'reviews', so I for one will judge the film after I've seen it. :)
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I dunno, I don't see what's wrong with a little hyperbole now and then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Iggyman wrote: »
    I can't imagine that anyone in their right mind takes any notice of AICN's 'reviews', so I for one will judge the film after I've seen it. :)

Yeah, AICN has lost any credibility that it once had in terms of reviews imo (it's still pretty good for news though, just don't read the moronic comments left by the userbase. Last week they had a story on the new Terminator and everybody started slating T2...idiots.), and we can definitely write off this "review" anyway due to the fact that the reviewer seems to believe that 'Star Trek Insurrection' is the best Star Trek film (don't get me wrong, i like Insurrection and think it's a good film, but it is nowhere near the best Star Trek film, as i'm sure everybody will agree!).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    Yes, you were correct . It's not that bad as it was expected.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This one has taken me by surprise. Saw the ad the other night. Didn't know there was a movie in the offing.

So is that me not paying attention, it's going to be a stinker, or it's going to be the "surprise" hit of the summer having snuck up on us?
  • tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    So is that me not paying attention, it's going to be a stinker, or it's going to be the "surprise" hit of the summer having snuck up on us?

They've had years to work on it. It's written by two usually reliable X-Files writers. It doesn't have any pressure on it to carry on any existing storylines. I say it's gonna be awesome! :D
  • RaytopsRaytops Posts: 973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like the OP the only thing that is putting me off this film is Billy Connolly.
  • PinkvelvetPinkvelvet Posts: 10,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really looking forward to this and have managed to remain pretty much spoiler free, thanks to my muchused method of putting my hands in front of my face during trailers at the cinema :D
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pinkvelvet wrote: »
    I'm really looking forward to this and have managed to remain pretty much spoiler free, thanks to my muchused method of putting my hands in front of my face during trailers at the cinema :D

Your post genuinely made me laugh! I thought that was really funny! :D

I love you! :o

I'm also looking forward to the X-Files movie. Gillian Anderson is such a babe, more so now than back in the X-Files days. Although what Billy Connely is doing in this i have no idea! :confused: I do not like this man in any films whatsoever. It better be a good story otherwise i'll be really disappointed!

Do not let me down Mulder and Scully!!!:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Gillian Anderson should have an X-Files episode all to herself called: The Case of The Mysterious Accent Changer!:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Gillian Anderson should have an X-Files episode all to herself called: The Case of The Mysterious Accent Changer!:D

Hmm yeah, that was a bit kinda bizarre. She had an English accent in 'Straightheads' but obviously, you know, she's in a film and I thought she changed her accent for it on purpose. But then I saw her in an interview for it at the time and she sounded all posh and British. And now she's back to American again!

I agree with the poster who said she's even more of a babe now. There were a few ebay auctions last week to win 2 tickets to the premiere and meet her in person. Was so tempted to blow all my cash on that :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    When I first saw the trailer with Billy Connelly, and then the rapper xzibit, I thought it was a trailer for a crappy spoof comedy film! Now Pamela Anderson is saying she was nearly cast as Scully?!!!

VERY strange casting. I don't even know if strange is the right word for it to be honest! I don't hold high hopes for this film, but I'll reserve judgment for now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tombigbee wrote: »
    Hmm yeah, that was a bit kinda bizarre. She had an English accent in 'Straightheads' but obviously, you know, she's in a film and I thought she changed her accent for it on purpose. But then I saw her in an interview for it at the time and she sounded all posh and British. And now she's back to American again!

I agree with the poster who said she's even more of a babe now. There were a few ebay auctions last week to win 2 tickets to the premiere and meet her in person. Was so tempted to blow all my cash on that :D

The american accent is the put on one. She's either Canadian but lived most of her life in England, or in fact English.

I know I was surprised when I heard her in an interview and discovered that. only having ever seen her in X Files I assumed she was american - as you would.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They've had years to work on it. It's written by two usually reliable X-Files writers. It doesn't have any pressure on it to carry on any existing storylines. I say it's gonna be awesome! :D

I certainly hope so. Can't remember the last time I was actually blown away by a movie. As I get older I find movies more and more disappointing generally.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always been an X-Files fan from back in the day and love Mulder and Scully and i'm so disappointed with what i've been hearing about this film - basically it's a dud! :(

I've been looking forward to the film but it seems it's just not very good and laying the blame on the story and that it comes across as a below-average episode of the series and nothing particulary special. I'm so disappointed! I wanted this to be SO good! I'll watch it and make my own mind up but still..

I don't understand why they couldn't have got some half-decent actors to play alongside Duchovny and Anderson. Billy Connoly and Xhibit - puh-leeeeze! :mad:
  • UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    A friend of mine is an X-Files obsessive and he didn't like the film at all!!
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it took $10.2 million in the usa over last weekend which is pretty bad even if fox are claiming the figure is OK as it only cost $30M.

The first X Files movie took $30.1M on it's opening weekend (and tickets were cheaper in 1998). I'm just not sure theres much interest anymore.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    Well it took $10.2 million in the usa over last weekend which is pretty bad even if fox are claiming the figure is OK as it only cost $30M.

The first X Files movie took $30.1M on it's opening weekend (and tickets were cheaper in 1998). I'm just not sure theres much interest anymore.

Of course there will be less interest now than then. There will be a lot of younger cinema-goers who have never watched the series and therefore are less likely to see the film. Others are probably put off my the last 2/3 seasons that were a bit lacklustre. I personally will go to see it as I was a fan back in the 90's and don't really care about most critic reviews as it is my opinion that matters.

Box office figures do not indicate the quality of a movie. Plenty of standard fodder blockbuster make big takings, but are just a pile of crap. Unfortunately, a lot of people enjoy piles of crap :) ooh...explosions...cgi...wow!!! lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A friend of mine is an X-Files obsessive and he didn't like the film at all!!

I'm hoping I'll be an X-Files obsessive who does!
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    Went to see this film, a mate works for Fox and got press screening tickets.

I've been an X-files fan for years. The next bit of my post is not a spoiler but,
    I don't want to dishearten a lot of fans going to see this film. It is terrible, an insult to the X-files. Chris Carter has destroyed his own creation. Its a lazy arsed embarrassment. Even Geaorge Lucas had more respect for his own creation and that is saying something. I can't even begin to describe how bad it is
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member

She explained the accent thing once during an interview. When she was a little kid her parents moved to London and she was brought up in Crouch End until the age of 17. She learnt to speak English in England, so basically had a strong English accent. When she moved back to the states her English accent faded over time and she picked up her native American. However, every time she comes back to England she falls into an English accent, she can't explain it, it just happens.

its the same for me. I was born in England, moved to Scotland from the age of 5, came back to England at 12 with a strong Scottish accent. I lost it in about a year, but everytime I go back to Scotland my accent changes to a Scottish one almost instantly. And i'm now 36.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers for the explanation. Cleared that up.

As for the movie, it can't be that bad surely! I'll be gutted if it is. Surely they couldn't mess it up after such a long wait to come up with a story. If it is disappointing then it'll be a big missed opportunity.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Um, ok. Saw this on Monday night in the States, and I'm afraid to say I found it to be pretty awful. Was thinking it over on the flight home this morning. The plot is very good, or at least had potential to be before someone took it, stretched it very thin and ensured that the whole film moved at glacial pace. Ugh..really disappointing :(