Ipad not connecting to wifi

Lindy_LoueLindy_Loue Posts: 9,874
Forum Member
Hi, I wonder whether anyone can help me with this?

I have had an ipad for 6 - 7 months now and have had no trouble with it connecting to my home wifi internet. However, suddenly it will not connect, and hasn't done for a couple of days now. I have looked in Settings and can see that it recognises the network by name but just keeps waiting to connect. Very frustrating!

My laptop, my daughter's ipad and husband's desktop are all fine - so it seems to be something to do with my device? Of course I can't look at the userguide because I can't access it!

Have tried to contact Apple and IYogi but no reply.

Please can anyone help?

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Your router is obviously working and Im assuming that no changes have been made to it recently.

First thing to try, if you have not done so already, but it will help to resync.
    On your iPad, Tap Settings > Wi-Fi and turn Wi-Fi off and then on again.
  • Lindy_LoueLindy_Loue Posts: 9,874
    Forum Member
    lettice wrote: »
    Your router is obviously working and Im assuming that no changes have been made to it recently.

First thing to try, if you have not done so already, but it will help to resync.
    On your iPad, Tap Settings > Wi-Fi and turn Wi-Fi off and then on again.

Hi lettice

Thanks for reply

I have done this already, I'm afraid
    Forum Member
    Lindy_Loue wrote: »
    Hi lettice

Thanks for reply

I have done this already, I'm afraid

Ok have you tried rebooting your router,? Ask everyone else who is connected first :)
    Also, try the reset networking of youur ipad here, under the 'If you're unable to join a nearby Wi-Fi network' section
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1398
    Forum Member
    Ok have you tried rebooting your router,? Ask everyone else who is connected first :)
    Also, try the reset networking of youur ipad here, under the 'If you're unable to join a nearby Wi-Fi network' section
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1398

Yes, have re-booted the router....doesn't make any difference to ipad :(

Am a bit nervous about your next suggestion...will go and have a read!

Thanks for helping...will let you know how I get on
    Forum Member
    Okay, I was brave, and went for 'reset network settings'

Now I am not connected at all and have no idea what to do....:eek:
    Forum Member
    Okay, I was brave, and went for 'reset network settings'

Now I am not connected at all and have no idea what to do....:eek:

A hard reboot will be necessary after that.

You will need turn wifi on, let is serach for your router, rejoining your network and enter your router password when it asks, all in that link i sent.
    Forum Member
    A hard reboot will be necessary after that.

You will need turn wifi on, let is serach for your router, rejoining your network and enter your router password when it asks, all in that link i sent.

I've put the password in now, and I am back to square one!!

That is, it says wifi is using my network in the settings section to the left of the screen. On the right, the 'waiting' circle (whatever that's called..:o) just keeps going around and around and it's not actually working.....

Never mind, lettice, you have been very helpful but I don't think there's much more I can do. Unfortunately I live a long way from any of the listed Apple service people but I'll have to get someone to look at it I think...

Unless you have any other ideas? I wouldn't like to give up if there is anything more I can do.

Many thanks again.
    Forum Member
    I will leave it to keep trying for a bit before I give up, though :D
  • zapodzapod Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi,

The 'waiting' or searching circle is always active, i.e. the iPad is constantly seeking out networks, so what you're seeing is perfectly normal.

If you've put in your router password, and it's showing connected with a tick against it, try going back to Safari... do you get 'You are not connected to the internet'?
    Forum Member
    Struggling to think what could be the problem, it can get quite complicated from here :)
    as its not your router if others are connecting and no router changes.
    But what your seeing is it trying to connect, you may connect shortly, But see below,

Being brave as you say, resetting just sets the wifi to factory settings for your wifi network connection and saves having to play about with many old options. It does not make any other changes to your iPad.

Notice you have only had it 6-7 months, why not try apple support online, you do not have to take it to an apple store. They are very helpful and its free within your 1st year (or two if you bought in Waitrose);
    Go here to request uk support to call you;
    http://www.apple.com/uk/support/
    Click on Contact Apple Support
    Click on Get Started
    Click on ipad
    Click on internet and airprint
    Select poor wireless signal or connection
    Then in the 'Does the product work in another location?' pull-down, choose No and click on continue
    Click on schedule a call and follow the screen prompts.

Hope you fix it :)
    Forum Member
    zapod wrote: »
    Hi,

The 'waiting' or searching circle is always active, i.e. the iPad is constantly seeking out networks, so what you're seeing is perfectly normal.

If you've put in your router password, and it's showing connected with a tick against it, try going back to Safari... do you get 'You are not connected to the internet'?

Yep, I do get 'You are not connected to the internet'....even though settings seems to say otherwise!!!! :confused:
    Forum Member
    Struggling to think what could be the problem, it can get quite complicated from here :)
    as its not your router if others are connecting and no router changes.
    But what your seeing is it trying to connect, you may connect shortly, But see below,

Being brave as you say, resetting just sets the wifi to factory settings for your wifi network connection and saves having to play about with many old options. It does not make any other changes to your iPad.

Notice you have only had it 6-7 months, why not try apple support online, you do not have to take it to an apple store. They are very helpful and its free within your 1st year (or two if you bought in Waitrose);
    Go here to request uk support to call you;
    http://www.apple.com/uk/support/
    Click on Contact Apple Support
    Click on Get Started
    Click on ipad
    Click on internet and airprint
    Select poor wireless signal or connection
    Then in the 'Does the product work in another location?' pull-down, choose No and click on continue
    Click on schedule a call and follow the screen prompts.

Hope you fix it :)

Thanks lettice...think I'll try this, but may be tomorrow now. Not sure I'm making much sense any more!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok, so iPad sees the router...

Go to Settings>Wifi then look for your network, with the tick against it.

There will be a blue circle with an arrow to the right - tap this.

This page shows your current network settings. The IP address should be something like 192.168.0.X where x is... a number!

The router address will be something like 192.168.0.1

The button marked ’DHCP' should be selected (blue), and at the foot of the page the bit marked 'HTTP Proxy' should be 'Off'.

Next, tap 'Renew Lease' - the iPad will ask you if you want to renew, so tap 'Renew'. This basically forces the iPad to request a fresh IP address from the router, often it will be the same as before.

Tap the 'wifi' back arrow to get out of this screen, then try Safari again.

If you got this far, well done! If it still isn't working, like lettice, I'm struggling to see what the issue might be, so best to do as he advises and contact Apple direct for guidance.

Hope you get it working.
    Forum Member
    zapod wrote: »
    Ok, so iPad sees the router...

Go to Settings>Wifi then look for your network, with the tick against it.

There will be a blue circle with an arrow to the right - tap this.

This page shows your current network settings. The IP address should be something like 192.168.0.X where x is... a number!

The router address will be something like 192.168.0.1

The button marked ’DHCP' should be selected (blue), and at the foot of the page the bit marked 'HTTP Proxy' should be 'Off'.

Next, tap 'Renew Lease' - the iPad will ask you if you want to renew, so tap 'Renew'. This basically forces the iPad to request a fresh IP address from the router, often it will be the same as before.

Tap the 'wifi' back arrow to get out of this screen, then try Safari again.

If you got this far, well done! If it still isn't working, like lettice, I'm struggling to see what the issue might be, so best to do as he advises and contact Apple direct for guidance.

Hope you get it working.

Hi zapod

Many thanks for this helpful post.

The trouble is that there is no tick against the network, just the name.

I ignored this fact and went through the process you suggest - no joy I'm afraid.

The only thing I can say is that there is no number against the router, but there is one against something called 'subnet mask' (which is a field between network and router).

Curiouser and curiouser!! :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like it sees the network... Try tapping the name, you will be prompted for the password, then more spinny thing, then...? Normally at this point you'd get connected... sorry we can't be more helpful
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is your iPad synched to your computer using iTunes? If so you may want to try and upgrade the iPad software via iTunes. There is a new iOS version 6.1.3 out now, it may not make a difference to your WiFi problem, but it is certainly worth a try.
    Forum Member
    psionic wrote: »
    Is your iPad synched to your computer using iTunes? If so you may want to try and upgrade the iPad software via iTunes. There is a new iOS version 6.1.3 out now, it may not make a difference to your WiFi problem, but it is certainly worth a try.

Err....the answer to that is, I'm not sure :o:o

It is synched for email etc and I have an Apple cloud 'control panel' :cool: But how or whether that would enable me to update the iOS from the laptop, I don't know. I've been putting off doing it on the ipad itself, to be honest, as everything was going so smoothly!! Ironic, really ;)

Thanks for the idea, though, I might pursue it tomorrow.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you tried connecting to a different wireless network?
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Have you checked your router settings? It's possible the router is blocking your iPad from accessing the internet.

Most routers will have a section where they show you the devices connected to the internet, you might want to check that for some reason your device isn't being blocked.

As another poster also stated, try connecting to another network, if you have a phone that can create its own wifi hotspot give that a go or take the tablet to a McDonalds or Starbucks and see if it will connect to the free wifi.
    Forum Member
    Have you checked your router settings? It's possible the router is blocking your iPad from accessing the internet.Most routers will have a section where they show you the devices connected to the internet, you might want to check that for some reason your device isn't being blocked.

As another poster also stated, try connecting to another network, if you have a phone that can create its own wifi hotspot give that a go or take the tablet to a McDonalds or Starbucks and see if it will connect to the free wifi.

BIB - That's my instinct actually Rodney. However I don't know how to check router settings.....would be willing to give it a go though.

Got to get to work now though so will be back later.
  • kirstiemcnabbkirstiemcnabb Posts: 457
    Forum Member
    BIB - That's my instinct actually Rodney. However I don't know how to check router settings.....would be willing to give it a go though.

Got to get to work now though so will be back later.

Have you tried apple support, they are very helpful. I have 10 iPads within my business and they have just helped me without fail on a couple of occasions. That is home support not any kind of business deal.
    They will take you through the wifi home setup if it seems wrong, They did for me for one of my girls.
    We had an ipad mini that actually got replaced after a few months with a wifi fault, they just replaced no quibbs over phone support.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seriously, you need to try connecting it to another wireless network to try and narrow down the problem.

Also, if you can't find the advanced router settings, doing a full reset of the router will probably fix this. Obviously that will mean the SSID and password revert to the default manufacturer ones though.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you do that update on about the 19th?

They often make stuff incompatible, sometimes permanently.(can happen with other OS systems too on so called upgrades)
    Also a hard reset(removes all apps?) is a much touted fix all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Did you do that update on about the 19th?

They often make stuff incompatible, sometimes permanently.
    Also a hard reset(removes all apps?) is a much touted fix all.

I would ignore this for now. A full reset is a drastic option and not required until you've eliminated some of the possibilities already discussed on this thread.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would ignore this for now. A full reset is a drastic option and not required until you've eliminated some of the possibilities already discussed on this thread.

If it got updated then it becomes the main suspect.