Options

David Tennant! How dare you!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,670
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Right. As everybody sane realises there is an election to come i thought i should turn you all to Gordon Browns latest weapon: David Tennant.

I have seen various locations in which DT has shown he has an interest for the Labour party. Radio times, Adverts, Articles ETC ETC. THIS IS WRONG!

I understand DT has a right to his opinion but he should not be allowed to broadcast it. I understand as well that everybody can tell there opinion but if you think this then you are, like his actions, wrong.

I, myself, have the Doctor as a rolemodel ( :o ) but a i know limits. Younger viewers however will not. With David Tennant prancing around saying he's a labour man, many people will be swayed to liking them just because he does. It'S WRONG! It would be like a teacher telling his pupils to vote labour. Although, DT is not saying this, but he is suggesting they are good in a manner, which if a teacher did likewise, would probably be fired or punished for it.

This trick by Labour is corrupting our government. Again. And after reading Radio times' interview with Gordon Brown. It shows he is rather fond of DT as well.

This is just like that stunt they pulled awhile ago sending letters to cancer patients saying they would die if Conservative got in! Note: this is suggested by saying they would not get treatment.

David Tennant cannot broadcast his views. All hell would break loose if a blue peter presenter did likewise. People will easily be swayed to vote labour.

I think, therefore, David Tennant should apologize or something. He is misusing his Doctor powers.

Whose with me!?!?!?!

(I also find it odd he teams with the party who will become the Government his most famous character tried to stop. :rolleyes:)

Comments

• Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    He can do what he wants, IMO. At least he's not promoting the Tories.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He can do what he wants, IMO. At least he's not promoting the Tories.

Whoa whoa whoa!

Conservatives are great!

Way better than Labour.
  • Options
    GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right. As everybody sane realises there is an election to come i thought i should turn you all to Gordon Browns latest weapon: David Tennant.

I have seen various locations in which DT has shown he has an interest for the Labour party. Radio times, Adverts, Articles ETC ETC. THIS IS WRONG!

I understand DT has a right to his opinion but he should not be allowed to broadcast it. I understand as well that everybody can tell there opinion but if you think this then you are, like his actions, wrong.

I, myself, have the Doctor as a rolemodel ( :o ) but a i know limits. Younger viewers however will not. With David Tennant prancing around saying he's a labour man, many people will be swayed to liking them just because he does. It'S WRONG! It would be like a teacher telling his pupils to vote labour. Although, DT is not saying this, but he is suggesting they are good in a manner, which if a teacher did likewise, would probably be fired or punished for it.

This trick by Labour is corrupting our government. Again. And after reading Radio times' interview with Gordon Brown. It shows he is rather fond of DT as well.

This is just like that stunt they pulled awhile ago sending letters to cancer patients saying they would die if Conservative got in! Note: this is suggested by saying they would not get treatment.

I think, therefore, David Tennant should apologize or something. He is misusing his Doctor powers.

Whose with me!?!?!?!

(I also find it odd he teams with the party who will become the Government his most famous character tried to stop. :rolleyes:)

Hes no longer the Doctor hes just another jobbing actor,and as a voter he is entitled to his opinion,i personally have no problem with it
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tennant can do what he likes. You might not like who he chooses his support but thats democracy in action. Sounds like you want to suppress his right to free speech because he isn't backing the person you think he should! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    VabosityVabosity Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tennant is entitled to support the Labour party if he so wishes. Likewise, Michael Caine is entitled support the Conservatives, and John Cleese the Lib Dems if they so wish.

What exactly is the problem?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hes no longer the Doctor hes just another jobbing actor,and as a voter he is entitled to his opinion,i personally have no problem with it

Wrong i say! WRONG! :D
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just how many of these children are voting?
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    David Tennant isn't the Doctor anymore and therefore can do what he wants. To be honest, even if he was still the Doctor, he has every right as "David Tennant" to do what the hell he likes - providing he didn't use anything associated with Dr Who in whatever he was promoting.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Whoa whoa whoa!

Conservatives are great!

Way better than Labour.

The Tories are a bunch of homophobes. Always have been and always will be. I would never even consider voting for them on that basis alone.
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    DT can support whatever party he wishes, as can Matt Smith.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Snip*
    Whose with me!?!?!?!

What has this got to do with Doctor Who, this isn't a politics fourum :confused::confused::confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vabosity wrote: »
    David Tennant is entitled to support the Labour party if he so wishes. Likewise, Michael Caine is entitled support the Conservatives, and John Cleese the Lib Dems if they so wish.

What exactly is the problem?

Oh thats an idea, sod the voting. lets put David Tennant, Michael Caine and John Cleese in a cage fight to the death. whoever wins is the champion and their party win the election.

David has youth on his side, but Michael Caine is a wise old codger. John Cleese...well he's good for laughing at and will put a respectable fight but nothing too serious.

Because nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wrong i say! WRONG! :D

sorry but who are you to say that:confused:,we are all entitled to our opinions but saying that someone else's is wrong is very condescending
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whoa whoa whoa!

Conservatives are great!

Way better than Labour.

And right there you prove my prior post.

If Mr Tennant was behind the Tories you'd have no problem with him speaking up.

And the tories are a threat to the BBC and to Doctor Who by proxy, btw.
  • Options
    Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's Scottish isnt he - which other party will he be promoting?! not Conservitive thats for sure.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    It's hardly a state secret that David Tennant supports Labour! I don't think people are so easily swayed as to vote for a political party solely based on their favourite TV character (who isn't even in the role anymore!)! If they are, they're too stupid to vote!
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    If he was still the Doctor I would agree. But he's not.

And I actually think it is quite a brave move for a (currently) unemployed actor to back an unpopular government.

Don't forgot that the Tories treated Scotland appallingly when they were in power. They even introduced the Poll Tax in Scotland a year earlier to 'try it out' before introducing it to the rest of country.

Can you imagine that? A government using your home country as a 'guinea pig' for a new form of taxation.

So that's (one reason) why Scottish people have particularly strong views about the possibility of a new Conservative government and I can't say I blame Scottish celebrities for speaking out.

I'm not Scottish, by the way.
  • Options
    Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's hardly a state secret that David Tennant supports Labour! I don't think people are so easily swayed as to vote for a political party solely based on their favourite TV character (who isn't even in the role anymore!)! If they are, they're too stupid to vote!

lol - agreed! people should be making their own minds up.
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't much care about David Tennant, and God knows i can't stand the Labour party. But we live in a democratic society where everyone has a right to express their opinion. The fact that the man is a celebrity doesn't have any bearing on that whatsoever. He can support who he likes, as can we all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't much care about David Tennant, and God knows i can't stand the Labour party. But we live in a democratic society where everyone has a right to express their opinion. The fact that the man is a celebrity doesn't have any bearing on that whatsoever. He can support who he likes, as can we all.

well said, I may have a very different view on DT and, to some extent, Labour to you, but, as you say, any one of us are free to air our political views how we choose.

I also think DT was careful to steer clear of making these statements when still in the role because he was aware of his responsibility.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol - agreed! people should be making their own minds up.

exactly most voters make their mind up by doing this totally random thing like listening to the policies of the party,not by which celeb is backing them this week:D
  • Options
    KIIS102KIIS102 Posts: 8,539
    Forum Member
    Voting age is 18. I'm sure at 18 people would grow out of being led by people on tv no?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whoa whoa whoa!

Conservatives are great!

Way better than Labour.

DT cannot but you can.
  • Options
    VirginMediaPhilVirginMediaPhil Posts: 2,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounds like you're saying that it's wrong for David Tennant, who used to be the Doctor and loved by millions of children, to support the Labour party, but fine for him to support the Conservative party?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bl**dy hell....now we have to live in a country where a person isn't allowed to show their support to their political views (which are not racist/bigotry etc)...because some kids happen to look up to him, despite not being able to vote themselves? :confused:

David has been a Labour supporter since forever....and most of his fans already know this....

And do you want both RTD and Moff to do the same, because they too have been vocal in their support for labour and against Tory....