Is being a Doctor Who Fan Stressful?

dvirgodvirgo Posts: 400
Forum Member
After reading the threads on this site since the show has come back it appears that as fans we've all gone mental.

Lots of anger and venom about show that we all love. Its like Post traumatic stress disorder after every episode. All the worry when the ratings aren't as high as they were in 2005. why is Matt smith not David Tenant.

Lets all take a breath and enjoy it. Honestly someone is going to burst a vein

Comments

• JohnFlawbodJohnFlawbod Posts: 4,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thread of the Year :D:eek::confused::(:o:mad::D:D
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    Answer: no

Posting on forums.....welllll..... ;)

If you just watched the show and never ever discussed it with anyone else, you'd probably be fine!

Or, if you watched the show and found some sort of magical club where only those who agreed with your opinions on the show could be let in (No Homers! :p ) then it'd probably be blissful.

In the real world...however....;)
  • JohnFlawbodJohnFlawbod Posts: 4,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Answer: no

Posting on forums.....welllll..... ;)

If you just watched the show and never ever discussed it with anyone else, you'd probably be fine!

Or, if you watched the show and found some sort of magical club where only those who agreed with your opinions on the show could be let in (No Homers! :p ) then it'd probably be blissful.

In the real world...however....;)

Watched the show and never discussed it with anyone else? I have never heard the like...:eek:
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We haven't all gone mental. There are a few sane ones left.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    I wonder how many pages it will take before this thread is turned into an argument about any of the usual crap that gets discussed time and time again.
  • dvirgodvirgo Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    so far it hasn't. In fact it's pretty calm.

Doctor Who does seem to make a lot of people angry. Maybe its a New Who thing. I remember when Rose was first transmitted and I guy I worked with lost his mind!!!!!!

Did people get this angry during the days of the classic series
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've watched Dr Who since the William Hartnell days, but it does seem on the forum that for some it's almost a quasi-religion.
    Forum Member
    maybe we should write the TIMELORDS PRAYER. Take the Doctors oath
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've watched Dr Who since the William Hartnell days, but it does seem on the forum that for some it's almost a quasi-religion.

Agreed.

I too have watched DW since those days long gone, when the idea of a colour tv was itself amazing.:o

But frankly, I am staggered by the vitriol poured out by some here, whether it is about the Doc's companions, or even about one of the Doc's themselves.
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't find it all stressful. I'm open to a good discussion but sometimes people are like the Sontaran and the Rutans. They end up arguing so much they forget what started them off in the first place! It is only a TV show after all and people seem to forget that at times!:D:D
  • bigaltbigalt Posts: 1,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not at all if you realise it's a tv prog.:D. Some episodes you like some you don't.:) No need to burst a vessel over it.;)

Same for all kiddi-on telly really.

It's only make believe.

Isn't it?;)
  • sertonserton Posts: 730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope it's not, I don't even normally find forum posting stressful... (normally ;) )
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only if you don't have a life beyond DW.
  • SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people really do need to get a sense of perspective. the reaction to the Graham Norton animation thing is hilarious for all the wrong reasons. You would have though that BBC execs have been eating caught babies or something.
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,109
    Forum Member
    I think since Dr Who tried to broaden it's audience that we've now got too many different types of people watching and commenting on the show, and because they are all so different they can never agree on anything.

It was so much better with just fanboys and casual viewers. :D
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    dvirgo wrote: »
    After reading the threads on this site since the show has come back it appears that as fans we've all gone mental.

Lots of anger and venom about show that we all love. Its like Post traumatic stress disorder after every episode. All the worry when the ratings aren't as high as they were in 2005. why is Matt smith not David Tenant.

Lets all take a breath and enjoy it. Hopefully someone is going to burst a vein

I fixed that for you :D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    I am the only person I know who watches Dr Who, and the only place I can get ideas and opinions is here. I've only looked at the forums since new series 4, and I found that it's much more involving hearing others thoughts on arcs and hidden meanings. All the speculation adds to the excitement of the series.
    Fair enough, it can get a little carried away at times with negative comments, but I just avoid those threads completely. Saves on the stress.:)
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SHAFT wrote: »
    Some people really do need to get a sense of perspective. the reaction to the Graham Norton animation thing is hilarious for all the wrong reasons. You would have though that BBC execs have been eating caught babies or something.

TBH it was a pretty distracting thing to do right in the midst of a climatic scene. You can argue that people are over reacting but at the same time if you want to show a suspense filled drama with a cliffhanger ending you don't spoil it by putting an animated cartoon over the crucial moment ;)
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so far it hasn't. In fact it's pretty calm.

Doctor Who does seem to make a lot of people angry. Maybe its a New Who thing. I remember when Rose was first transmitted and I guy I worked with lost his mind!!!!!!

Did people get this angry during the days of the classic series

There was no internet during the classic days but I daresay people would have been equally opinionated in those days.

However, the stress levels of people on here are determined by the people themselves. I don't get stressed out by having a difference of opinion. The whole point of discussion is to hear different view points.
  • LittlemissmolzLittlemissmolz Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I SO agree!! People need to relax lol
    Forum Member
    Calm down, its only a TV show.

Just imagine if the country took the general election as seriously. Actually maybe that would be a good thing
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being a fan is joy, certainly not stressfull.

As others have pointed out using the forums can be stressfull. Still it is a big world and not evryone is going to agree with you all the time. It is also very easy to be nasty on the net as there is very little comeback. I would be willing to bet that virtualy all the 'hate' peddlers on the forums wouldn't dare behave like that in real life.

I recall a while back viewing a post on the offical world of warcraft forums describing how bad and full of hate certain Doctor Who forums are (not DS). You know you have a problem when the 'wow' forum go'ers look down on you ;)
  • aka_luciferaka_lucifer Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maybe we should write the TIMELORDS PRAYER. Take the Doctors oath
    We bow our heads to Rassilon,
    And pray when Doctor Who is on
    If Angels high or beast below
    That Norton will not spoil the show.

Dalek wars or Cyber leaders
    Should not of us make whingeing bleeders,
    River deep or flying eye
    Should not make blood pressure high

Nearly fifty years have passed,
    We love our Doctors first to last;
    From wobbly sets with Verity,
    To Moff replacing RTD.

He is a part of all our lives,
    From Vespiform to leisure hives.
    Every story has its flaws,
    Perhaps we should retract our claws.

That we can still enjoy the show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    I think after taking my valium and numerous other tranqs Miss Duck Pond And Hermen Munsters son may grow on me.:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That Norton will not spoil the show.

Dalek wars or Cyber leaders
    Should not of us make whingeing bleeders,
    River deep or flying eye
    Should not make blood pressure high

Nearly fifty years have passed,