Options

LCD TV Blurred Image

Iv'e read that action scenes on LCD can result in a blurred picture. What type of action scenes would cause this and to what extent. Is it very noticeable ? I am considering the new Sharp series P50 made for Europe. Has anyone experience of these and have they improved blurring.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LCD response time decides if a fast moving image "smears" or "blurs" as the old image hasn't vanished before the new one is created.

This is becoming a non issue, modern LCD's have refresh times under 10ms which when you consider the smearing issue was a major problem with 26ms + panels in years gone by you can see why it's no big thing.

You just have to remember there are a lot of LCD's that are cheap because they are older panels rebadged and will therefore not be upto the spec of modern panels from the companies that do the R&D and make the technolgy leaps first.

DEMO any panel you are considering, ask other users their thoughts on a particular panel perhaps on the LCD forum at AVForums.
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    I'm waiting a wile longer before buying a new TV, the reason is LCD and Plasma have poor overall image quality compared to CRT, Your best waiting for the new technologies to come out or until they make the quality better. Its still early days
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    just purchase a 32 or 36 inch widescreen CRT and be happy with that!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    I will buy a 32 inch LCD 16/9 in 2009 when analouge is switched off

Action scenes - you mean big explosions in action movies :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mr kamran wrote:
    I will buy a 32 inch LCD 16/9 in 2009 when analouge is switched off

By 2009 I expect we will have far more choice in our display technology, LCD may be considered outdated by then:)

No argument though that unless you have a need for what a flat panel gives you a decent CRT is ideal for the current mainstream broadcasts.
  • Options
    joydenjoyden Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    It's simply a matter of weight. I have a 29" TV that I can hardly move.
  • Options
    sean1sean1 Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    joyden wrote:
    It's simply a matter of weight. I have a 29" TV that I can hardly move.

So, you'd prefer an appalling plasma, just because it's light enough to throw in the skip?

No. CRTs have been built for years. They are very very good.

Plasmas are outdated, with dreadfully poor resolutions. Look how few pixels they have.

LCDs represent the future, along with variants on CRTs with modern technology applied.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi! :)

With new techological advances constantly improving the quality of alternative display types, I'd be inclined to wait until the prices of the current LCD displays come down to nearer their true quality vs price level.

I have yet to see a commercially available LCD TV that even comes half way close to the quality of a mid-range CRT TV, so I personally would wait until half the quality costs half the money before even considering changing over. Around the £150 mark for a 32inch LCD would seem like fair value for money to me.

DLP TVs and projectors already wipe the floor with both LCD and Plasma displays, so hopefully the prices of both LCD and Plasma will reduce to reflect this shortly.

I've gone the DLP projector route for around £500 and get a picture vastly superior to any LCD or Plasma that I've ever seen for a fraction of the cost.

Oh, and the response time of DLP displays is much less than 1 millisecond, so no blurring.

It's well worth looking into.

Cheers, Slipstreem. :cool: