Tech info on Virgin Tivo box

NoiseboyNoiseboy Posts: 2,599
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I know there have been a few threads with known info and some guesses, but thought this might be a good place to keep it all in one place.

My question might be impossible to answer yet, but throwing it out there just in case (and any PMs from beta testers gratefully and discreetly received!) We've just signed up to Virgin, and so far so good. One crushing bore though is you can't have HDMI and RGB Scart output simultaneously... I'd definitely move to Tivo for that reason alone if it had it!

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• BenMcr77BenMcr77 Posts: 6,573
    Forum Member
    As the V HD box has both the Scart and HDMI enabled at the same time, it's possible that the TiVo box might as well
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,506
    Forum Member
    BenMcr77 wrote: »
    As the V HD box has both the Scart and HDMI enabled at the same time, it's possible that the TiVo box might as well

One would hope so - there seems no reason for it not to be, it was a very strange failing of the older boxes.
  • NoiseboyNoiseboy Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a Samsung V+HD box, and it's very much one or the other. Are you all saying that there are other current V+ boxes that CAN handle both at the same time?
  • TechnixTechnix Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noiseboy wrote: »
    I have a Samsung V+HD box, and it's very much one or the other. Are you all saying that there are other current V+ boxes that CAN handle both at the same time?

The VCR scart on the Samsung is always active.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Technix wrote: »
    The VCR scart on the Samsung is always active.

Yeah, but AFAIK no w/s switching and no RGB....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else with any insights? This is a major limitation for me right now, the biggest PITA with the transition from Sky+ to V+. I guess what TIVO do in the US isn't very relevant - they don't have SCART of course, and my feeling is that the current setup is a deliberate Virgin cripple to stop dissuade people from running two TVs with only one subscription (which is bonkers, but there we go).
  • BenMcr77BenMcr77 Posts: 6,573
    Forum Member
    Anyone else with any insights?.
    We won't know for definate until someone actually has the TiVo box (and is allowed to tell us)
  • stevelupstevelup Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    The hardware is very similar to the V HD box so I suspect the capabilities will be the same.

It's daft to suggest that on the Samsung box it is a deliberate ploy to stop people running two TV's off one box. If you really want to do that, and want the best possible quality, just get a 1:2 HDMI splitter and run HDMI to each display.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stevelup wrote: »
    The hardware is very similar to the V HD box so I suspect the capabilities will be the same.

It's daft to suggest that on the Samsung box it is a deliberate ploy to stop people running two TV's off one box. If you really want to do that, and want the best possible quality, just get a 1:2 HDMI splitter and run HDMI to each display.

True enough... but seems equally daft to cripple the box otherwise? What technical reason is there to only have one or the other?

It's mad, I'm actually thinking about cancelling under the 28 day thing over this.
    Forum Member
    Just a theory, but quite plausible:-

The decoder chip can either output interlaced or progressive but not both. Or it can output RGB or Component, but again not both.

The VCR socket is then driven via a separate low cost scaler chip that only outputs composite.

There is no way it is a deliberate, conscious decision made just to annoy people - I'm sure it will be a side effect of the hardware design.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stevelup wrote: »
    Just a theory, but quite plausible:-

The decoder chip can either output interlaced or progressive but not both. Or it can output RGB or Component, but again not both.

The VCR socket is then driven via a separate low cost scaler chip that only outputs composite.

There is no way it is a deliberate, conscious decision made just to annoy people - I'm sure it will be a side effect of the hardware design.

Actually I was told by a Virgin rep the reason, and it's to stop people using Magic Eyes and taking an additional subscription. Don't quite get it myself, but that's what I was told.

I got as far as speaking to a nice sounding man in the Tivo department, who "couldn't see any reason" why you couldn't have both together. He went off to check in the office to be sure, and was going to ring me back 10 minutes later.

That was 2 days ago.

Sigh...
  • zantarouszantarous Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The simple reason why this happens, and it not just Virgin but all sorts of consumer products have done this for quite sometime, is that the the HDMI and RGB scart will share the same board. used to happen all the time when DVD players had component inputs that the RGB socket became disabled and only top end exoensive players could do both.

The fact that the Tivo only has one scrat makes me think that it must be able to output RGB while the HDMi is active, if it does I might even start using my DVDR again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zantarous wrote: »
    The fact that the Tivo only has one scrat makes me think that it must be able to output RGB while the HDMi is active, if it does I might even start using my DVDR again.

It's obviously what I want to hear, but I don't follow your logic... could you elaborate a little more?
  • TAZMANUKTAZMANUK Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when is the national launch
  • timpotimpo Posts: 1,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TAZMANUK wrote: »

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, good question :D
    Forum Member
    Actually I was told by a Virgin rep the reason, and it's to stop people using Magic Eyes and taking an additional subscription. Don't quite get it myself, but that's what I was told.

Except it doesn't achieve that goal does it? You can still use a magic eye and video extenders, it's just that the signal is composite and not RGB.

With the greatest of respect, a VM customer service agent is not going to have any idea about the commercial and technical reasoning behind the VCR SCART only outputting composite video!
  • zantarouszantarous Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's obviously what I want to hear, but I don't follow your logic... could you elaborate a little more?

Because the current V HD box does this and is built by Cisco.

Edit: Actually I never had a look to see if it ouputs RGB while the HDMI is active.
  • Jodie98Jodie98 Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    TAZMANUK wrote: »

I've been told by VM March for existing customers at a cost of £149 + £40 installation fee.
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,027
    Forum Member
    Jodie98 wrote: »
    I've been told by VM March for existing customers at a cost of £149 + £40 installation fee.

I was told by Virgin Customer Services
    and the Tivo Team Department that it is £159 for the box,
    plus a choice of £20 self-install or £40 for an Engineer Install,
    that is what they told me this week, when I phoned 150
    to enquire about it, they also told me to phone back
    in April to order it
    I was also told that to move the current Box
    to another room would cost another £99,
    on top of the £159 Tivo Box fee

The Tech Sepc is as follows

Three Tuners - with the Third Tuner enabled sometime in 2011,
    via a Software Update Patch
    Has its own 10MB Broadband connection for Youtube
    and other internet uses and apps
    Remote Record via the Virgin website
    1TB of Hard Drive Space
    HD and 3D compatible

Im not sure about the Sockets at the back though,
    it definitely has an HDMI Socket, not sure about the rest
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zantarous wrote: »
    Because the current V HD box does this and is built by Cisco.

Edit: Actually I never had a look to see if it ouputs RGB while the HDMI is active.

Sadly it doesn't - hence my quest for info.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know if you will be able to play content from your own network on the Tivo such as dlna or smb sharing.

If not then it would be a good feature to have, already TV's, BD players can connect to a dlna server etc and let you watch movies you have backed up.

Just would be nice to have one device that does it all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unlikely, due to copyright issues.

Tivos can play content from other tivos in the house, but anything else is subject to rights management (eg. Tivo to PC is possible in the US but unlikely in this country as historically the rights holders have not allowed it).
  • rfwrfw Posts: 833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's now a page advertising the forthcoming VM Tivo box:

http://tivo.virginmedia.com/

Click on 'watch demo' for a video (slow to load, keeps pausing - not a good start)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rfw wrote: »

Click on 'watch demo' for a video (slow to load, keeps pausing - not a good start)

Watching this on my 50mb connection stutters too much so gave up as you say poor work by Virgin Media.
  • ek-ukek-uk Posts: 2,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rfw wrote: »

liedown wrote: »
    Watching this on my 50mb connection stutters too much so gave up as you say poor work by Virgin Media.

The page has been there for weeks and the video played fine when they first put it up and is still playing fine now on my 10 meg connection. Could have just been a blip? Try again now.