Options

Help

warleywitchwarleywitch Posts: 2,541
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Estate agent's just been to my house and said it looks cluttered (if she knew how much I'd thrown!!!). Anyway she said to get some boxes from removal people but when you try (online) the ask for all your details and when yr moving. I haven't even sold my house yet. Where can I get some boxes with lids to pack all my jewels and crowns and stuff?

Comments

• Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buy some - Argos will sell them?
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or else go down to your local supermarket and ask if you can take some boxes? Then just tape the top shut..
  • Options
    MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Estate agent's just been to my house and said it looks cluttered (if she knew how much I'd thrown!!!). Anyway she said to get some boxes from removal people but when you try (online) the ask for all your details and when yr moving. I haven't even sold my house yet. Where can I get some boxes with lids to pack all my jewels and crowns and stuff?

The estate agent has said that about ours too! I've just had a really ruthless spring clean - anything that hasn't been worn or used for 6 months has gone. I forgot I had a walk in wardrobe!:D

Supermarket is the cheap option, B&Q is the more expensive.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have jewels and crowns? Are you the Queen? You won't have much trouble selling Windsor Castle I don't suppose :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or else go down to your local supermarket and ask if you can take some boxes?

Not so easy these days. Apart from wine not much comes in boxes any more. Most tinned stuff comes on cardboard trays wrapped in cellophane.

OP, are you having trouble selling your house or is it just on the market? If only just on the market and you already have de-cluttered I'd ignore the EA. If you do want to store some stuff though you can buy plastic boxes with lids quite cheaply at places like Wilkinsons.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    Try your local Freecycle/Freegle group - ours always has people passing on boxes & bubblewrap etc. from moving house.
  • Options
    Sally7Sally7 Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your problem will be where do you then put all the packed boxes ! Most folk don't have enough cupboard space to hide loads of cardboard boxes, and having them stacked up around the place will look as bad as the clutter:rolleyes:

Have you considered getting a self storage unit? Most big towns have a place that does it. In Yorkshire they are about £12 a week but obviously it may be different other parts of country. Then you don't have to get boxes, just stuff it in old suitcases, bin bags whatever. If you have it for 6 weeks it will be money well spent if it means you sell your house quicker :).
  • Options
    warleywitchwarleywitch Posts: 2,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sally7 wrote: »
    Your problem will be where do you then put all the packed boxes ! Most folk don't have enough cupboard space to hide loads of cardboard boxes, and having them stacked up around the place will look as bad as the clutter:rolleyes:

Have you considered getting a self storage unit? Most big towns have a place that does it. In Yorkshire they are about £12 a week but obviously it may be different other parts of country. Then you don't have to get boxes, just stuff it in old suitcases, bin bags whatever. If you have it for 6 weeks it will be money well spent if it means you sell your house quicker :).

Oh thanks and also thanks for all the other suggestions...some of which I'm going to follow up today. I KNEW i'd get help from DS people.
    No , I'm not the Queen. I'm about 3,50065 in line to the throne I think. But I do have delusions of grandeur . That's all you can have if you're poor.
  • Options
    humdrummerhumdrummer Posts: 4,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big Yellow Storage sells boxes
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My OH got some good sized plastic crates with lids (so stackable) from Morrisons last week - they were on offer for £2.99 each.
    We've also got quotes for storage places and for smallish ones it was about £18 per week but the first 8 weeks are half price so we're still deciding whether to do that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,095
    Forum Member
    Any local storage facility like big yellow or safe store. They sell them in all sizes :) Not cheap though!