The Top 10 Greatest Gay / Lesbian Marriages of All-Time?

GrimmGhostGrimmGhost Posts: 1,556
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So? What were they?

List them then we will take a poll of the "best out of ten"..

Comments

• JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    Can someone clear up the nomenclature for me,

Is the word gay only applied to men?

Is the phrase 'gay men and women' incorrect?

I was listening to a BBC news item on BBC Scotland about allowing gay marriage (as opposed to civil partnerships) up here and the newsreader referred to 'homosexual and lesbian couples'.
  • Lain AndrewsLain Andrews Posts: 1,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gay service members from Army soldiers to Air Force.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's also the problem of the word 'marriage' itself. It seems to have become customary for those in a Civil Partnership to call the service a marriage, and to refer to themselves as married.

While I can see absolutely no harm in this, and I've even used the word myself, it does lead to confusion when people are camapigning for the right of same sex couples to be married.

So could we call it "The Top 10 Couples in a Civil Partnership of All Time"? Unless we restrict it to couples who've actually been married in a country where it's legal?
  • BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is the point in such a list?
  • PaleHorsePaleHorse Posts: 5,681
    Forum Member
    And you would be ranking them based on :confused:
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GrimmGhost wrote: »
    So? What were they?

The 'best' gay marriages are the ones where no feels the need to trivialise and patronise them in a Top 10 list.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    So? What were they?

So none from you then?

Myself, I think it's pointless to list one over another.

Marriage is marriage and regardless of sexuality.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No1 has to be Jeremy Clarkson and Kelvin McKenzie.

They make such a lovely couple.
  • HenryBaneHenryBane Posts: 4,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you wanting showbiz marriages or just marriages generally, like you want to nominate your friends and give reasons why?
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not even sure how I'd choose the top ten heterosexual marriages, to be honest. My best mate and his wife would probably be in there, but I don't really think that would be of interest to the good people of DS.
  • GrimmGhostGrimmGhost Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still, Where are the Historical Homosexual Marriages of the Past?

Where Did Homosexual Marriage Begin?
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dude, nobody's biting. You should probably just do yourself up and walk quickly out of the supermarket, metaphorically speaking.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    Dude, nobody's biting. You should probably just do yourself up and walk quickly out of the supermarket, metaphorically speaking.

This makes me :D
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    trevgo wrote: »
    No1 has to be Jeremy Clarkson and Kelvin McKenzie.

They make such a lovely couple.

At one point it looked like Jezza and Will Young would have made a lovely couple.
  • Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    Gay service members from Army soldiers to Air Force.
    I'm not so sure this is as much as a suggestion or more of a fantasy...... :cool:
  • Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »

I'll bite.:D

Sir Elton John and David Furnish are the most high profile couple I can think of,
    followed by Ellen DeGeneres and Portia de Rossi.

Found THIS and THIS.

Of course there are bound to be more, as Sir Dirk Bogarde had his manager, Anthony Forwood, sharing his homes with him but never came out.
  • Hobbes1966Hobbes1966 Posts: 5,368
    Forum Member
    Dennis Heymer and Frankie Howerd were together for 37 years before Frankie's death.
  • Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dai13371 wrote: »
    At one point it looked like Jezza and Will Young would have made a lovely couple.

:D "Well you are quite fit". And talking about soft furnishings. Loved that TG episode!:p
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't go as far as to call it epic, but my step-sister and her girlfriend 'tied the knot' a couple of weeks ago. We did wonder beforehand whether either or both were going to wear a white dress, but neither did in the end. My step-sister was in a cream dress, her partner wore a dark trouser suit. It's the second time my step-sister has been married, the first time was to a bloke. Yes, he did attend this one too. Someone had to mind their 5 children after all...
  • ejr278ejr278 Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    So? What were they?

MY civil partnership last year!! =D We ad a black and pink theme (I wore a pink shirt, black trousers and black waistcoat.. On which the pockets had been dressed with material from the shirt), my partner wore a black dress.. We ad page boy n little bridesmaids in baby pink n big bridesmaids in shocking pink. We ad bags of popcorn(pink n black) with personalised stickers with homemade place cards stuck onto black cocktail sticks n put into the bags. Instead of usual centrepieces we ad sweet bouquets in mirrored cubes, we decided instead of table confetti to use pink n black sweets. We ad black chair covers with alternate pink bows - baby n neon - n we ad cupcakes made instead of a cake which were all dressed with maltesers and the like... And we bought white paper bags n personalised them all for the kids n made up little activity packs so they wunt get bored thru meal n speeches!! =D
  • GrimmGhostGrimmGhost Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ejr278 wrote: »
    MY civil partnership last year!! =D We ad a black and pink theme (I wore a pink shirt, black trousers and black waistcoat.. On which the pockets had been dressed with material from the shirt), my partner wore a black dress.. We ad page boy n little bridesmaids in baby pink n big bridesmaids in shocking pink. We ad bags of popcorn(pink n black) with personalised stickers with homemade place cards stuck onto black cocktail sticks n put into the bags. Instead of usual centrepieces we ad sweet bouquets in mirrored cubes, we decided instead of table confetti to use pink n black sweets. We ad black chair covers with alternate pink bows - baby n neon - n we ad cupcakes made instead of a cake which were all dressed with maltesers and the like... And we bought white paper bags n personalised them all for the kids n made up little activity packs so they wunt get bored thru meal n speeches!! =D

A Warm Congratulations to both you and your intimate spouse, and both of your Families!

Best Wishes for Both of You! and both of your prosperous futures! :D

So far... You are the first to be nominated as couple Number 1-One.