Options

Hinterland (Y Gwyll): BBC / S4C

Comments

• Options
    ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,067
    Forum Member
    JT Effect wrote: »
    I was under the impression that each episode was a self contained storyline, in which the crime gets solved. Have I got that wrong?

No you're right, they're all self contained episodes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    No you're right, they're all self contained episodes.

Yes; some confusion might have arisen because each story was originally a two-parter on S4C, so 6 episodes in all.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JT Effect wrote: »
    I was under the impression that each episode was a self contained storyline, in which the crime gets solved. Have I got that wrong?

I was hoping there would be a monster of the week, plus a longer story arc. It's an established plotting device that has proven very successful on many series.

This was a self contained story as far as the murder of the old lady, but there were some loose ends that I thought might be tidied up as we find out more about all the minor characters (chief of police, doctor, priest, etc).
  • Options
    the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was hoping there would be a monster of the week, plus a longer story arc. It's an established plotting device that has proven very successful on many series.

This was a self contained story as far as the murder of the old lady, but there were some loose ends that I thought might be tidied up as we find out more about all the minor characters (chief of police, doctor, priest, etc).

I wouldn't get your hopes up about that - am not expecting that to be the case here.
  • Options
    misfittmisfitt Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    Hinterland (Y Gwyll) is an original Welsh interpretation of the classic Scandinavian crime dramas that have proved popular on these shores for the past few years. People will ultimately draw comparisons with the 2013 hit Broadchurch and it is true there are similarities: the brooding outsider detective who moves to a small community area under secretive circumstances, his female colleague who is fiercely protective of the community she was born and bred in to, the pillars of the community who appear to be hiding secrets...But I believe these can be put down to general crime drama tropes and as the series progresses, I think we'll get more divergence.
    I'm getting ahead of myself though. Let's focus on the first episode! In the opening scenes we're introduced to two characters: DCI Tom Mathias and the Welsh landscape. Indeed Wales has never looked so cinematic and beautiful...in a menacing, brooding kind of way. A perfect case of pathetic fallacy. Before DCI Tom Mathias has a chance to spruce up his shoddy caravan, he's been called to investigate the disappearance (and later murder) of a former children's home manager.
    We are taken on many twists and turns through the episode and are treated to some Welsh folklore about an old woman outsmarting the devil who was so embarrassed he fled Wales. However, Mathias isn't convinced. He doesn't think the devil ever left and judging by the revelations of what went on in that children's home, you would agree with him. All actors give stellar performances but special mention should go to Sara Lloyd Gregory. Her performance is amazing.
    Overall, this is a well-crafted drama that I would highly recommend. Did anyone else see it and what did they think?

I have to say for a Monday evening I thought this was fine but far from brilliant and far from the level of writing of Broadchurch. I did like Richard Harrington though so it definitely has potential. I thought it lost its way in the middle though the last 30 mins definitely livened up and the woman playing the killer was excellent so I am sure we will see her in much more. I do not mind brooding detectives if done well and for me Matthias was closer to Kurt Wallander than other detectives which is no bad thing. I think the writing needs to improve and then it could be a contender for the Saturday night BBC4 slot.

Best

M
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    misfitt wrote: »
    I have to say for a Monday evening I thought this was fine but far from brilliant and far from the level of writing of Broadchurch. I did like Richard Harrington though so it definitely has potential. I thought it lost its way in the middle though the last 30 mins definitely livened up and the woman playing the killer was excellent so I am sure we will see her in much more. I do not mind brooding detectives if done well and for me Matthias was closer to Kurt Wallander than other detectives which is no bad thing. I think the writing needs to improve and then it could be a contender for the Saturday night BBC4 slot.

Best

M

I completely agree. The stories are actually pretty dull.
  • Options
    misfittmisfitt Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »

I watched the first 30 mins this evening before switching off which is unlike me so shame as a missed opportunity as I will not be watching anymore now.

Best

M
  • Options
    Hairy HaggisHairy Haggis Posts: 127
    Forum Member

I loved last weeks, but this weeks was a bit boring for me, switched off after 20 minutes which is a shame because I really enjoyed last weeks.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched it for the first time last night, drawn to it because it is set in Aberystywyth, where I used to live. Must admit, I didn't enjoy the storyline at all, and didn't find the characters at all engaging. Loved the views though!
  • Options
    culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I forgot this was on at 9pm and so I recorded the overnight broadcast but it's got that bloody signer all the way through. Does anyone know if this episode is being broadcast again without the signer?
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    culttvfan wrote: »
    I forgot this was on at 9pm and so I recorded the overnight broadcast but it's got that bloody signer all the way through. Does anyone know if this episode is being broadcast again without the signer?

Yes later in the week.
    DRAMA: Hinterland
    On: BBC 4 (Freeview)
    Date: Friday 9th May 2014 (starting in 2 days)
    Time: 00:05 to 01:40 (1 hour and 35 minutes long)

Detective drama series. At a remote Welsh farmhouse, 69-year-old Idris Williams is discovered bludgeoned to death and the investigation into his murder reveals the mountain's bloody past. (In Welsh and English with English subtitles).
    (Stereo, Repeat, Widescreen, Subtitles)

Starring: Richard Harrington, Mali Harries, Alex Harries, Hannah Daniel, Aneirin Hughes, Steffan Rhodri

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/?p=1&r=7346

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks a lot, but is it without the signer for the deaf? TV guides don't seem to mention it.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh this old chestnut:D

Why would people not be speaking in their first language to other people who share that first language?

Yeah no-one speaks it, you know. We've just invented it as a special 'code' specifically to confuse English tourists.
    The French do this as well, and the Germans - what a ruse lol.

It might be an old chestnut, but it's a true one as I have experienced this myself. It's very effective in making a tourist feel uncomfortable.

There is a slight difference between the Welsh and the Germans and French. The Germans tend to speak German to each other, and the French, French, rather than English, then switch to their native tongue as soon as they hear and English person speaking English.

I think you missed the point somewhat.
  • Options
    saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The two stories so far have been surprisingly similar - old person found murdered, backstory of long-ago history, children involved, one of those grown-up children the murderer.

Together with the echoes of Broadchurch and the Wallanderish look and feel, there's a sense of someone trying to cash in on the success of umpteen other cop dramas. Richard Harrington is very watchable, but someone needs to inject a sense of personality into the concept.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    comment removed - incorrect
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorted. The Fri 0:05 repeat doesn't have the signer.
  • Options
    RobMilesRobMiles Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched both episodes, and enjoyed both of them. For me, the plot is almost secondary to the atmosphere created by the direction, cinematography and landscape, although I did find both plots interesting myself. Also, the acting by all cast members is great.

I enjoyed Broadchurch, but it's probably one of the most overrated programmes of the last 5 years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    culttvfan wrote: »
    Thanks a lot, but is it without the signer for the deaf? TV guides don't seem to mention it.

They do, this is last night's repeat
    DRAMA: Hinterland
    On: BBC 4 (Freeview)
    Date: Tuesday 6th May 2014 (Already shown)
    Time: 02:00 to 03:35 (1 hour and 35 minutes long)

Detective drama series. At a remote Welsh farmhouse, 69-year-old Idris Williams is discovered bludgeoned to death and the investigation into his murder reveals the mountain's bloody past. (In Welsh and English with English subtitles).
    (Stereo, Repeat, Widescreen, Subtitles, Signed)

Starring: Richard Harrington, Mali Harries, Alex Harries, Hannah Daniel, Aneirin Hughes, Steffan Rhodri

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/?p=1&r=7346

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.
  • Options
    pinkwaferpinkwafer Posts: 933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've watched both of these but find my concentration wandering. It's just all a bit dull and gloomy and with characters that you don't care much about. I find the female PC really irritating.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    trevgo wrote: »
    It might be an old chestnut, but it's a true one as I have experienced this myself. It's very effective in making a tourist feel uncomfortable.

There is a slight difference between the Welsh and the Germans and French. The Germans tend to speak German to each other, and the French, French, rather than English, then switch to their native tongue as soon as they hear and English person speaking English.

I think you missed the point somewhat.

You've yet to tell me why two people, living in a Welsh-speaking community, speaking Welsh as a first language would be speaking to each other in their second language?
    It's completely absurd.

It's also pernicious attack as it denigrates someone who has every right to be speaking their own language in their own country, implying they are only doing so out of some xenophobic motive.

Every single thread where the Welsh language features (in this case a TV drama) gradually descends into these degrading insidious little stories, in a way it *never* would when discussing, say, a 'Scandinoir' production, or another European language.
    Sad.
  • Options
    Lisa_NaylorLisa_Naylor Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This show really likes using ex-Pobol y Cwm actors. Another sad episode. Idris didn't deserve to die. I hope Rees gets years in prison.

Tom's boss keeps coming across as dodgy. I wonder if it'll turn out he is. I'm quite enjoying this show. They should have put it on BBC 2. It barely has any Welsh in it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    You've yet to tell me why two people, living in a Welsh-speaking community, speaking Welsh as a first language would be speaking to each other in their second language?
    It's completely absurd.

Every single thread where the Welsh language features (in this case a TV drama) gradually descends into these degrading insidious little stories, in a way it *never* would when discussing, say, a 'Scandinoir' production, or another European language.
    Sad.

I also find it bizarre; it's as if some posters are convinced that Welsh isn't used as a day-to-day language and that it's just used as a way to communicate when non-Welsh speakers are around.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The amount of Welsh spoken in this seems little and what there is a bit obvious.
    As a drama it's no worse than some.

Anywat...

Has Mali Harries been "nominated" in the "Best Boobs on TV" thread yet?
  • Options
    the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pinkwafer wrote: »
    I've watched both of these but find my concentration wandering. It's just all a bit dull and gloomy and with characters that you don't care much about. I find the female PC really irritating.

If you mean the blonde one, she's a DS. They're all detectives, not uniform. The lowest ranking one is the geeky looking guy - he's a DC. The older woman with the brunette bob who works alongside Mathias is a DI.

I didn't find this plot very compelling - preferred last week's although even that wasn't too intriguing until the last 30mins. Am still enjoying watching Harrington's performance though plus the stunning cinematography. I just hope the plots liven up a bit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pinkwafer wrote: »

I don't find her particularly 'irritating' but presumably if she is then it is because of some future plotlines. There are a number of features of the various characters that don't make sense at the moment, Episode 4 is going to be busy if they are all resolved!