The Big Holby City Thread (Part 4)

Comments

• george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    Much as I find the idea of Jonny and Adele stomach-churning (in my opinion he is attractive as a horse is blue, and she was equalled in spite only by the repulsive Bonnie) I'd rather they were with each other than anyone else, as there are currently no other characters who could sink so low besides possibly Harry and Amy, and we certainly don't need any more storylines from either of them just now. But I'd rather just not have another soapy storyline, we already have more than enough.
  • greygrey Posts: 5,035
    Forum Member
    I thought that episode was very poor indeed.

It was pure drivel. The inane farmers are not funny any more and Zosia should clearly be in a psychiatric unit getting help. Her CEO father is clearly negligent in allowing her to treat patients and should be dismissed asap.

Raf is a disgrace to the medical profession.

The whole thing was a farce. If this is the best that Holby has to offer I fear for it's future.

Couldn't have put it better myself. I've been watching Holby from the very beginning
    and this was probably the worst it's been

Maybe it's time for a new producer to make it watchable again:(
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grey wrote: »
    Couldn't have put it better myself. I've been watching Holby from the very beginning
    and this was probably the worst it's been

Maybe it's time for a new producer to make it watchable again:(

It really saddens me that a show that has been so good in the past has been reduced to this.

No wonder Hugh Quarshie is off again. I can't imagine that Rosie Marcel will be far behind. She looked embarrassed to be part of that farce imo.
  • cloverclover Posts: 2,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitkat1971, I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. I'm sending you a big hug.

wiggles247 - I can't stand the farmer boys! I enjoy their appearances about as much as Jac does.

Episode review here.
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    I really didn't find last night's that bad and farmer boys did make me half smile q couple of times but in all honesty I didn't take much of the rest of it in (certainly not Raf's angst or why Digby, dom et al were wearing $atching floral nightgowns in an enormous flat).
  • george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    A couple of questions about Amy...

Does anyone know how you're supposed to pronounce her surname? I've always pronounced it TAY-oh - I've never considered why, I think I just assumed that they'd said it like that on the programme. However, last night Zosia pronounced it TEE-oh, so now I'm trying to think when they've pronounced in the other way. Maybe I just imagined it.

Secondly, I'm a little confused as to what capacity she works in at the hospital. As a consultant pharmacist, I presumed that she was involved with all of the wards, and the reason we didn't see her on any other wards besides AAU was that she didn't need to be for any storylines, but that she was always involved behind the scenes. However, last night there was a strong suggestion that she had only ever worked on AAU, seeing as she asked Guy for a transfer. Maybe every ward has its own pharmacist? After all, I suppose the pharmacy department must consist of more than just one person, although with Holby's track record that doesn't usually seem to be the case! (Mr Thompson seems to be the whole gynaecology department, Sharon was apparently the whole Psych department etc...)
  • tenchgirltenchgirl Posts: 11,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unhinged secret escapes continuously unravelling on the wards is now a joke. Daddy dismisses it because he doesn't want to admit he might have played a part by not telling her, mother was dying and protecting his image. And yet none of the staff other than the 2 stooges and blamey Amy know shes out of control and bloody dangerous to herself and the patients.

oh and just how many Darwin Staff is Jonny going to jump, watch out Elliot you could be next...

tedious doesn't even begin to cover these joke storylines.

oh and enough of the Yeo Valley farmers, they are not funny they are just stupid, feckless and reckless.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tenchgirl wrote: »
    Unhinged secret escapes continuously unravelling on the wards is now a joke. Daddy dismisses it because he doesn't want to admit he might have played a part by not telling her, mother was dying and protecting his image. And yet none of the staff other than the 2 stooges and blamey Amy know shes out of control and bloody dangerous to herself and the patients.

oh and just how many Darwin Staff is Jonny going to jump, watch out Elliot you could be next...

tedious doesn't even begin to cover these joke storylines.

oh and enough of the Yeo Valley farmers, they are not funny they are just stupid, feckless and reckless.

BIB - :D:D:D
  • susanne fansusanne fan Posts: 1,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tenchgirl wrote: »

Colette sorta knew I think, and they've messed up showing Guy letting it go, imagine if that was a real situation in a real hospital. If she killed anyone the hospital would be in major trouble, then they'd find out the CEO knew.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    I think the idea with Zosia is that she's always had this mental issue, but it hasn't been as obvious before now. I'm not a mental health expert, but it seems like they are implying she has bipolar disorder with her manic behaviour, but I may be wrong...

And no, I have literally no idea why a pharmacist is confined to one single ward, and an acute surgical ward at that, which would probably not have complex drug issues that needs a pharmacist full-time... also, if she's the sole ward pharmacist, what happens when she wasn't working? Do the medical staff just call the hospital pharmacy like every other ward? :)
  • colincatcolincat Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    wiggles247 wrote: »
    It really was cringe-worthy wasn't it?? (Literally in my case!!)

Although it was out-cringed (for me at any rate) by the end of Raf's little speech in the confessional - 'heal me so that I can carry on healing others|*' or whatever he said = just ucckkkk

* really need the roll eyes smilie for that little beauty
    Much as I find the idea of Jonny and Adele stomach-churning (in my opinion he is attractive as a horse is blue, and she was equalled in spite only by the repulsive Bonnie) I'd rather they were with each other than anyone else, as there are currently no other characters who could sink so low besides possibly Harry and Amy, and we certainly don't need any more storylines from either of them just now. But I'd rather just not have another soapy storyline, we already have more than enough.

I am afraid I went back to reading my book when I saw the kiss was going to happen.
    I also find Johnny a big turn off - his horsey teeth. I was pleased when he said he was going back to Scotland, but it didn't happen. Please, no more affairs.
  • DeschanelDeschanel Posts: 8,745
    Forum Member
    I'm going to re-post this here from the other thread, as I think it needs highlighting as no-one else has mentioned it, yet.

So, it was nice seeing Amy away from the gruesome twosome and not agonising over her baby drama every other scene; I think it showed she could have some potential. But, WTF was that with Guy asking her to covertly assess his daughter? She's a consultant pharmacologist, not a psychiatrist/psychologist, and as she pointed out herself, has no experience is conducting psychiatric assessments. But, it seems the only experience she needs is having dolled out medication to mentally ill patients. What an unrealistic joke. I get that Guy is wearing his father hat, and not his CEO hat, but this was ridiculous. I know Sharon left, but surely they have a psych department that Guy could convince (being the CEO) to assess Zosia off the record.

Zosia is clearly not well. It doesn't take a consultant pharmacologist to see that. Sacha should be concerned, but it's like he's in a dream. The way Zosia treated that patient was awful. And nobody seems to care. Guy even ignored Amy's advice, so what exactly was the point of all that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree that Amy works well on Keller away from Raf and Harry. And she looked absolutely gorgeous in that simple black dress. No more gaudy flowers clothes, please!

Guy knows fine well that Zosia is mentally ill, he is no fool. He will not bring it out into the open so no damage will be caused to her medical career. That makes him a shit CEO, doctor and father as well as a shit human being.
    Forum Member
    Colette sorta knew I think, and they've messed up showing Guy letting it go, imagine if that was a real situation in a real hospital. If she killed anyone the hospital would be in major trouble, then they'd find out the CEO knew.

I'm fairly sure that a real hospital would take a dim view of any board member, let alone a CEO having a close relative on staff simply because of the conflict of interests. Ditto having 2 relatives or romantic partners working in the same department when one has to report to the other.

I mean back in the days when Charles Byrne was Chairman and effectively DOS and did all the staff appraisals (we saw him do Jac's pre them sleeping with each other) - what happened with joseph? Surely his father couldn't do his annual review.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Note that Oliver Kent said with Zosia that whatever she is suffering from is not what it appears to be, so it looks like bipolar but could be something else?
    Forum Member
    I'm also leaning towards bi polar from the symptons we've seen but also am not a mental health expert.

Guy is clearly trying to find any way to help Zosia that will not leave a stain on her medical career but he is actually letting her down very badly both as a father and boss, not to mention her colleagues and patients.

Getting Amy to observe her is ridiculous. A shrink would prescribe the medication for a mental health issue after appraisal, not a pharmacist.

I agree that Amy is halfway bearable when she is not stuck with Harry and Raf and bleating on about babies ad nauseum. In short, actually doing her job!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I spent the episode wondering why being manic was making Zosia accent words as if she was reciting Gilbert and Sullivan, or auditioning for a Hinge and Bracket memorial show.

The AAU scenes were very good, except for having Raf and Harry in them.

Did I hear right, Ric is going to Ghana...right. Is it easy to get health insurance if you are a cancer survivor flying into an Ebola region? And presumably the Jess incident was so mad that the writers are hoping we'll forget about it (because he can't be on bail awaiting trial).

kitkat - so sorry to hear about your mum. It is frightening how easily such infections kill older people. How awful for you.
  • ChzzaChzza Posts: 567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lucien_Di wrote: »

And no, I have literally no idea why a pharmacist is confined to one single ward, and an acute surgical ward at that, which would probably not have complex drug issues that needs a pharmacist full-time... also, if she's the sole ward pharmacist, what happens when she wasn't working? Do the medical staff just call the hospital pharmacy like every other ward? :)

These days pharmacists are ward based. Wards have their own pharmacists who are based on there full time. They sort out patient meds, check drs have prescribed correctly and sort out discharge meds. Most hospitals now have computer robots in pharmacy picking the tablets so there's no need for the pharmacists to be in there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    Chzza wrote: »
    These days pharmacists are ward based. Wards have their own pharmacists who are based on there full time. They sort out patient meds, check drs have prescribed correctly and sort out discharge meds. Most hospitals now have computer robots in pharmacy picking the tablets so there's no need for the pharmacists to be in there.

Fair enough. I'm out of touch, it seems :) Pharmacy robots sound awesome though...
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought that episode was very poor indeed.

It was pure drivel. The inane farmers are not funny any more and Zosia should clearly be in a psychiatric unit getting help. Her CEO father is clearly negligent in allowing her to treat patients and should be dismissed asap.

Raf is a disgrace to the medical profession.

The whole thing was a farce. If this is the best that Holby has to offer I fear for it's future.
    It's the first I've seen the farmers and from what I'd seen, I'm glad of so. No, not funny in the slightest, just annoying, and was the main reason why I felt Johnny act is showing the friend the operation was well placed. Then again, I've harboured a longing for doing something like that to some of those who commit crime, so I quite like the idea of a short shock when someone doesn't respond/adhere to needed advice.
    Deschanel wrote: »
    I'm going to re-post this here from the other thread, as I think it needs highlighting as no-one else has mentioned it, yet.

So, it was nice seeing Amy away from the gruesome twosome and not agonising over her baby drama every other scene; I think it showed she could have some potential. But, WTF was that with Guy asking her to covertly assess his daughter? She's a consultant pharmacologist, not a psychiatrist/psychologist, and as she pointed out herself, has no experience is conducting psychiatric assessments. But, it seems the only experience she needs is having dolled out medication to mentally ill patients. What an unrealistic joke. I get that Guy is wearing his father hat, and not his CEO hat, but this was ridiculous. I know Sharon left, but surely they have a psych department that Guy could convince (being the CEO) to assess Zosia off the record.

Zosia is clearly not well. It doesn't take a consultant pharmacologist to see that. Sacha should be concerned, but it's like he's in a dream. The way Zosia treated that patient was awful. And nobody seems to care. Guy even ignored Amy's advice, so what exactly was the point of all that?
    So right, I can see why you posted it here.

kitkat - I'm sorry to hear about your mum's passing, I hope Holby gave you that little break from the upset you're going through. :(
  • RixionRixion Posts: 768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know why Amy is only a recurring character and what has happened to Mary-Claire?
  • srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    I'm so sorry to hear of your loss kitkat1971.

The farmers were/are unbearable.
    I don't think Jonny was unreasonable (for once) since they're such stupid, irresponsible, childish little boys and nothing anyone said, in this episode or previous, would get through to them. I think the way the team treated the guy was perfectly justified and am relieved their words finally got through his thick skull. I cannot believe the pair of them, surely no one could be so stupid and immature, and laugh in the face of such serious medical drama.

The Zosia business is getting ridiculous. As if she'd still be allowed to treat patients, surely to god she'd be having some kind of treatment herself and be kept well away from work for the foreseeable. It's just laughable. Amy being asked to assess her was plain ludicrous, Guy was just repulsive about the whole thing.

The Raf business annoyed me. Yes fine hate Harry and try to punish him, whatever, but doing that by putting an innocent person's life in danger is despicable. Not to mention hypocritical with his whole smug carry on about how perfect and professional he is when he was laughing at Harry's CPR technique. What happened to always putting patients first? Argue with Harry in your own time.
    Not that I have any sympathy for Harry himself, he's irresponsible and unprofessional frequently. I'll never forget his disgusting conduct with the gastric band patient, I don't think I've ever been so angered by anything else on Holby.

Johnny/Adele was vomit inducing.

I do wish Jac would mention Emma, or ask to see her, or say she made a mistake and wants her back… anything… That she hasn't done any of that at all in like 6 weeks or something strains credulity to the extreme imo.
  • skteoskskteosk Posts: 19,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last week I said that Guy surely wouldn't let Zosia come back to work next episode as if nothing had happened. This week, Guy lets Zosia come back to work next episode as if nothing had happened. He was thoroughly repellent here, more concerned with his daughter's career and his own image than in what's best for her. She's clearly having some sort of psychotic break and he's basically decided to ignore it.

I actually thought this was the best Jac has been in a while, there was some lovely byplay between her and Jonny, especially his list of things she hates. I do think Jonny was out of line with the way he handled the situation. Not so much the fact he took the guy into the observation room to make him see the results of his actions but the fact that instead of letting the facts speak for themselves he bullies, snarls and sneers at him, then compounds the offence by wilfully distracting the medical staff who are trying to save a man's life (and incredibly, instead of telling him to shove off, Jac joins in). Heidi was very cute. I didn't actually mind Jonny and Adele but looks like the door's slammed shut.

I've got no sympathy for Raf whatsoever. It's all right begging for forgiveness but he won't get true absolution unless he owns up. Harry was wrong to take the credit for Raf's suggestion, but that does not justify Raf trampling all over medical ethics the way he did. Harry didn't do himself any favours with some of his comments but essentially he read the notes properly so doesn't deserve to be penalised for Raf playing games. And oh look, it's the guy from The Biz. (Terence Harvey, two roles each in Casualty and Holby City according to IMDb.)
    Forum Member
    Rixion wrote: »
    Does anyone know why Amy is only a recurring character and what has happened to Mary-Claire?

They must only have the actress that plays Amy on a short term contract - same as Bonnie was. I guess if she is successful they might extend it.

Niamh McGrady had to take an extended break from Holby to film the second season of The Falls but will be back. Within the show, Mary-Claire has returned to Ireland to look after her poorly mum.
    Forum Member
    Thank you all for your kind words.

I did find the farmers quite funny in their first appearance last Spring but I think the joke has worn a little thin now.

Yep, Terence Harvey played Diane Lloyd's father in season 9 - he turned up at her funeral and he was in a very good season 8 episode of Casualty called, iirc Sunday, Bloody Sunday.
This discussion has been closed.