Do you Boycott Sponsors of a Rival Team?

henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Do you Boycott Sponsors of a Rival Team?

I love Aperol Spritz but there is no way I am ever going to drink another drop after they sponsored ManU.

No way I'd buy anything Samsung either.

Comments

• jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't buy Samsung any more either, but that's only because of working for their tech support, the products are crap.

Can't say I actively boycott any sponsors, obviously the S*n goes without saying.

That said I bliddy hated Carlsberg and they sponsored my own team!
  • 1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. I don't boycott anything for any reason.
  • yakutzyakutz Posts: 10,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I'm an adult.
  • clarky323clarky323 Posts: 10,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    as Jennifer said, I only seem to boycott my own teams sponsors too (also LFC fan), never liked Carlsberg.

Also, near where I live is an Adidas shop, I used to shop there a lot but since they had a spat at us, not been in there since! hate them now!
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I have not bought a ticket to Abu Dhabi, since their takeover of City, and sponsor of the council's stadium!

Oh wait, I couldn't afford a ticket even if I did want to go anyway, so not much of a boycott then really!
  • 1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yakutz wrote: »
    No, I'm an adult.

:D:D:D:D:D
  • zielerzieler Posts: 8,038
    Forum Member
    No, I'm an adult.

Yep, this.
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I don't.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The object is not to know who sponsors a rival team
  • MeicYMeicY Posts: 2,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given that Premier League football sponsors nowadays are either posh airlines, online betting companies or financial institutions (who says the prawn sandwich brigade are a myth?) it's fair to say the only thing I avoid is drinking Chang beer.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,373
    Forum Member
    Bedlington Terriers are sponsored by an American billionnaire, so I boycott the United States of America.
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't drink Carlsberg, but that's cos it's shite as opposed to them previously sponsoring Liverpool.
  • TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    There are worse reasons to boycott companies than sponsoring rivals, and even then it still doesn't put me off using their products. If I choose not to buy something from Nike it's because it doesn't appeal to me, not because they make clothes for Man United or use sweatshops.

I use Samsung products even though they sponsor Chelsea. I use oxygen even though O2 once sponsored Arsenal (but then I've never actually disliked Arsenal but I think they're classed as rivals...and I quite like breathing).
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so militant in my non-pointless hatred I not only boycott several companies but also refuse to use the letters *, * and * if I can avoid it.

Work emails are particularly hazardous ha ha
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No that would be silly. But I did once refuse to buy my teams shirt because their sponsor for that season was a major competitor to the firm I worked for.
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if a product on the shelves are showing bias towards any team on the packaging I don't buy them.

Mars confectionery should only be selling Mars bars, snickers, twix bounty and maltesers with biased packaging down south only, not to the whole of the UK.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. The only football related boycott I do is of The S*n, and that will be a lifelong boycott.
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I'm an adult.

Is the correct answer.

If you won't use/buy a product you know you like because they sponsor a rival, then you take football way, WAY too seriously.
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Boycotting a product because they sponsor a rival team is childish beyond belief.

Liverpool fans boycotting The Sun was understandable at the time but is pretty illogical now.
  • timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    Boycotting a product because they sponsor a rival team is childish beyond belief.

Totally.

Which is why you won't be surprised to hear that over the years I've boycotted Adidas, Nike, McEwan's and JJB.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Liverpool fans boycotting The Sun was understandable at the time but is pretty illogical now.

Is it really though? The damage the S*n did is still evident.
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't bank with Barclays so I must be boycotting the PL.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheMunch wrote: »
    I use Samsung products even though they sponsor Chelsea. I use oxygen even though O2 once sponsored Arsenal (but then I've never actually disliked Arsenal but I think they're classed as rivals...and I quite like breathing).

Yeah I just don't tend to like either of these products because they're rubbish but I still use them.
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Is it really though? The damage the S*n did is still evident.

The Sun itself today has nothing to do with The Sun in the 1980s. Different editor, different reporters, different politics etc etc etc. I totally understand the boycott at the time and i totally understand the venom aimed at MacKenzie but it would make more sense to boycott anything he was involved in rather than The Sun itself IMO.
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Sun itself today has nothing to do with The Sun in the 1980s. Different editor, different reporters, different politics etc etc etc. I totally understand the boycott at the time and i totally understand the venom aimed at MacKenzie but it would make more sense to boycott anything he was involved in rather than The Sun itself IMO.

The Sun's an English tory newspaper as well. Worth boycotting it for politics as well