Are there any Jewish FMs?

lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
Forum Member
It has just occurred to me that I do not personally know, nor have I ever known anyone who is openly Jewish, either practicing or ethnically Jewish.
Is that weird? Jewish people can't be that uncommon in the UK. :confused:

Comments

• Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    No it's not weird, I don't know who is any religion and if they have stated it or said they are atheists I don't really think about it and just forget. I'm more interested in what people say on various discussions.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Mrs Teapot wrote: »
    No it's not weird, I don't know who is any religion and if they have stated it or said they are atheists I don't really think about it and just forget. I'm more interested in what people say on various discussions.

Well, that is true to some extent, but I know people who have mentioned that they are Christian, Muslim and Hindu (as well as people who are avowed atheists).
    But I've never met someone who talks about Judaism as their religion. I've just realised and find it surprising.
  • BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am :)
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's apparently only a few hundred thousand in the UK, but over half of those must live in Jewish areas in London it's not unlikely that somebody who doesnt live in London has never known one

Also not everyone who is Jewish by ethnicity is Jewish by religion, you might have known some and you wouldn't know unless you asked
  • Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Well, that is true to some extent, but I know people who have mentioned that they are Christian, Muslim and Hindu (as well as people who are avowed atheists).
    But I've never met someone who talks about Judaism as their religion. I've just realised and find it surprising.

I see your point, maybe there are but they don't want to be judged when they put opinions possibly, not that they should be.

I think on a discussion forum your opinions should be free of what your are 'meant' to think. :)
  • Danny_SilverDanny_Silver Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I worked for a Jewish company for 8 years, most of the colleagues were Jewish, I like it, was a good experience, I can usually tell when someone is Jewish.
  • Under SoulUnder Soul Posts: 2,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know of several albeit mainly non religious ones. You can often tell by their name. Pretty much all of them have been lovely.
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know a couple of practicing and a couple of lapsed Jews.... Practicing jews will never go out clubbing or pubbing on a Friday night.... That's Shabbos... their Sabbath.... which they observe much more strictly than the Christian sabbath. Even driving a car is banned on Shabbos
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    There's apparently only a few hundred thousand in the UK, but over half of those must live in Jewish areas in London it's not unlikely that somebody who doesnt live in London has never known one

Also not everyone who is Jewish by ethnicity is Jewish by religion, you might have known some and you wouldn't know unless you asked

Manchester has a large Jewish community, around the Cheetham Hill district.
    Forum Member
    Bethaneeny wrote: »
    I am :)

Hoorah! :D I now know a Jewish person!! Sort of.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Of course there are. They don't necessarily flag themselves up as Jewish.
    Forum Member

Actually, I've just realised I do know an ethnically Jewish person - she was my best friend-from-school's mother! :o She was a practicing Christian, though.
    Strangely, she married someone called Goulding, which sounds as though it might be Jewish, but neither he nor any of his family were...
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My missus is Israeli, that's as close as I come.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to uni with quite a number of Jewish people. My younger kids' dad was also Jewish as his mother was Jewish and from an orthodox family, although his dad was catholic. My kids were 'blessed' by a rabbi apparently, or so she said.

My dad grew up in what was then a very Jewish area of Leeds, although most of that community were gone by the time I was a kid - but many of their customers and lifelong friends were Jewish. I remember meeting an elderly lady who was a friend of my grandad who was Jewish. My ex once introduced me to one of his neighbours, an elderly gent in East London who had a concentration camp number tattooed on his arm.

My mum was a Yorkshire lass and grew up on a dairy farm and the rabbis would come out from Leeds on a train, and make the milk they sold kosher. I only found that out when I read it in a little local mongraph, a man in the next village's memoirs that his family had published. He mentioned my great grandma and how she would have the rabbis come to the farm, and they'd give her presents like little biscuits that she shared with the kids who came to our farm to buy milk.

My kids are not Jewish even 'on paper' as it has to be the female side, but in terms of their DNA, they are a quarter Jewish. Their grandma told me her uncles were murdered by nazis in Eastern Europe. Word only got back to the family in England after the War that they hadn't even been sent to a concentration camp, but had been killed with a bayonet as the local nazis thought they weren't worth the train fare or cost of the bullets.

My kids' great grandad got out of Vienna in the 1930s. That's all I know about their Jewish ancestry - that and a couple of their surnames.

Maybe it was a demographic blip then, but there were a lot of Jewish people at my uni on my course. One of my friends was the niece of a well known TV producer. Another friend came from a quite orthodox family in London.

I once went shopping with my ex in East London, and an old bloke came up to us and yelled: "JEWS!" It was a bit disconcerting.
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member

I always tend to imagine the Jewish population being much larger that it is and it's probably because there are so many well known Jewish celebs. Rachel Weisz, Alan Sugar, Nigella Lawson, Claudia Winkleman, Jason Isaacs, Esther Rantzen, Rachel Stevens, Neil Gaiman, Milliband brothers, etc. Then there are those with one Jewish parent: David Beckham, Stephen Fry, Joan Collins, Daniel Day Lewis, Helena Bonham Carter, etc. So TV has definitely skewed my perception about their ubiquity in Britain even though I've only knowingly crossed paths with a handful in my life.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Teapot wrote: »
    I see your point, maybe there are but they don't want to be judged when they put opinions possibly, not that they should be.

I think on a discussion forum your opinions should be free of what your are 'meant' to think. :)

Strongly agree with that, Mrs T.

Many people have views which span the entire left/right spectrum, and definitely do not tow any party line. It shows they think rather than blindly follow.

As for Jewish people, I've known one or two. Possibly the most curious was a local shopkeeper who I got talking to once about a noisy neighbour (years ago) and he asked me if I had a gun - he wasn't joking either :o
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Strongly agree with that, Mrs T.

Many people have views which span the entire left/right spectrum, and definitely do not tow any party line. It shows they think rather than blindly follow.

As for Jewish people, I've known one or two. Possibly the most curious was a local shopkeeper who I got talking to once about a noisy neighbour (years ago) and he asked me if I had a gun - he wasn't joking either :o

Sounds like Kosminski to me! :o:D
  • kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my cousins is married to someone Jewish.
  • blue eyed guyblue eyed guy Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Dad's Mum i.e my grandmother was born in Bethnal Green in London in 1883, and that area had the highest concentration of Jews in Europe at that time, so my grandmother mixed with jews for years, so that makes me a quarter Cockney, and sort of jewish. :blush:
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite a few all my life, but not many as friends. Those I knew well were from London, Luton/Watford, Newcastle, Liverpool and Bristol. Also Japan and the U.S. Most weren't that religious except for certain days, traditions and customs. A childhood friend's mother and aunts wore wigs or occasionally, head-scarves. Attended a couple of Jewish weddings. That's about it, really.

My deaf brother has loads of Jewish friends, though. There's a large Jewish deaf community in London that's connected to all major cities in this country, and has its own organisations - the Jewish Deaf Association, the Jewish Deaf History Society, etc. I attended a couple of plays organised by, if I remember correctly, the Jewish London Deaf Drama Group.
    Quite a few working stage/TV deaf actors/directors/musicians are Jewish. Twins Paula and Fiona Garfield, and the Woolf brothers are good examples. Yeah, there's a strong Jewish presence in the British deaf community. Same with the deaf communities around the world. American deaf actor Marlee Matlin is Jewish.
  • oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So many Jewish peeps become famous songwriters, film stars, TV presenters, movie directors, genii in general as well as those who are jewellers and accountants, that there are very few left around to mix with us commoners!
  • hils0912hils0912 Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    I am Jewish, was bought up in Leeds and was told by part of the Jewish community in Leeds that I couldn't be Jewish as I was too down to earth.. Enough said really (and yes both my parents are Jewish).
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    Manchester has a large Jewish community, around the Cheetham Hill district.

There was quite a few Jewish kids from Prestwich went to my school in Bury......

I saw a lot of Jews yesterday.........it was the annual Jewish Music Institute bash in Regent's Park, London and I stopped off during my daily walk to listen to a bit of 'Klezmer'.......it's that Jewish music, bit gypsy, bit jazz, that you see people dancing to with their arms outstretched.......this kind of thing......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9MfZEoVR3M
  • TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone I've known who is Jewish by ancestry has not been Jewish by faith. I don't know what conclusion (if any) should be drawn from that.
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    A good friend of mine converted to orthadox Judaism and is now living in Isreael.

He did have some mental health issues though, so i think that goes some way to explaining it.