The Soaps Nostalgia Thread

benjwx1benjwx1 Posts: 5,374
Forum Member
Hi all :D A thread to reminisce about your favourite storylines, characters, moments, scenes, whatever you like from any soap or drama here or abroad! Feel free to discuss anything related to the aforementioned, you may also discuss what's going on now in the soaps should you wish :) This thread is not a replacement for the through the night thread, meaning that (for the most part) conversation must stay loosely on topic. However, it's a similar sort of thread in that it brings the whole soap forum together to one place, and I'm intending for it to be fairly lighthearted and fun :)

Please don't bring any discussions relating to last night into this thread, let's start with a clean slate and keep this a friendly and fun thread to be a part of.

Thanks and enjoy :)

Comments

• benjwx1benjwx1 Posts: 5,374
    Forum Member
    Okay, I'll see if can get this going :D What did we think about the early 2000 period of Corrie? It's mentioned by many that 2004 was one of the best ever years for the soap, what are some of the standout moments from that sort of 'era' if you like?
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    I don't know anything about Corrie. I was a big fan of Arthur Fowler and there's been a bit of speculation recently about him maybe having a secret love child with Mrs Hewitt. Would it be a good idea for Martin to find out he's got a secret brother ?
  • BlondeGremlinBlondeGremlin Posts: 5,650
    Forum Member
    Ben96 wrote: »
    Okay, I'll see if can get this going :D What did we think about the early 2000 period of Corrie? It's mentioned by many that 2004 was one of the best ever years for the soap, what are some of the standout moments from that sort of 'era' if you like?

I'm rubbish at remembering eras and what happened when, but during this period I think Steve and Karen were together and they were one of my favourite couples ever. Suranne Jones was just brilliant and although Corrie have given Tracyluv many enemies over the years, this was the best imo (barren Karen)
    It makes me even more mad about where they've taken Steve now when I think back to how he was then, he and Michelle are just not suited.
  • soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lou will love this thread.

Sadly I need more than just a year to have any kind of idea what you are talking about.

I'll google later so i can contribute
  • CuishlaCuishla Posts: 16,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenroe (Irish soap) was at its best between 1983 and 2001. Not many will ever forget the scandal of Miley and Fidelma's roll in the hay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOLV9jBdc74
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cuishla wrote: »
    Glenroe (Irish soap) was at it's best between 1983 and 2001. Not many will ever forget the scandal of Miley and Fidelma's roll in the hay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOLV9jBdc74

:o:o:D:D

I'm still traumatised by that!
  • claremontsclaremonts Posts: 20,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Ben96, this sounds like a great thread.

Just getting the old mind working - i remember a few of the early Corrie noughties storylines. There was Sarah's underage pregnancy storyline (probably just before 2000, which resulted in Bethany being born mid 2000), and then a few years later, Gail married a certain Richard Hillman (Norman Bates with a briefcase)! who left a trail of destruction in his wake.
  • Garibaldi_Garibaldi_ Posts: 18,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved Corrie in the early 00's.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fantastic idea for a thread OP
  • Skittle BombSkittle Bomb Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    I don't know anything about Corrie. I was a big fan of Arthur Fowler and there's been a bit of speculation recently about him maybe having a secret love child with Mrs Hewitt. Would it be a good idea for Martin to find out he's got a secret brother ?
    I loved Arthur. I wish they had never killed him off when Bill wanted to leave. I think it was short sighted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4fyaaUVHso

We should post clips. I love how superb the acting is in that. It was such a grandbreaking storyline as well.
    Forum Member
    Thanks guys :D
    Feel free to reminisce about anything relating to soaps/dramas from the past.
    Any Emmerdale fans in? 'Jebbie' anyone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3-GSLzG7Gs

And Corrie Fans who could forget this iconic character?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A9pQX_TGjQ
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    I loved Arthur. I wish they had never killed him off when Bill wanted to leave. I think it was short sighted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4fyaaUVHso

We should post clips. I love how superb the acting is in that. It was such a grandbreaking storyline as well.
    I saw an interview from him where he said that he was just exhausted at the time. They should have given him a break and seen how he felt then. It would have been lovely to have him back.
  • RickLopezRickLopez Posts: 14,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sarah's teenage pregnancy
    Todd coming out

Two massive storylines which brought Corrie into the 21st century.

And Richard Hillman.
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vald wrote: »

>:(
    I refuse to believe the sainted Arfur Fowler had rumpy pumpy with a bit of old skirt. He was obviously admiring her topiary!
  • notdebbiedinglenotdebbiedingle Posts: 45,817
    Forum Member
    Garibaldi_ wrote: »
    I loved Corrie in the early 00's.

Me too, in fact I loved Corrie throughout the 00s!! :)

What I really loved was the introduction of all the younger characters around 99/00/01 sort of time!
    The old guard had served the show well over the years but in the 90s times had changed & Corrie was beginning to feel stale & old fashioned!! I know others disagree on this but I think the 'new broom' idea worked wonders (in this case Brian Park followed by Jane McNaught between 97-02) & set the template for the future by gradually introducing a whole new generation of characters who have now become mainstays & letting us see them grow up on set!! I am talking the Battersby girls (Leanne & Toyah), the Grimshaw lads (Todd & Jason), the young Platts (Sarah & David), the Webster girls (Rosie & Sophie), Tyrone, Maria, Kirk, Fiz & others now departed like the Harris kids & Candice!!
    As i say many of these have become mainline characters now, some bringing up kids of their own which surely, given some good imaginative castings of these kids as they grow up can propel Corrie into a whole new generation of characters to entertain for years to come!!

Sorry this post is probably far too long for this thread but you know what I'm like when I get 'off on one' about Corrie!! :blush::p:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all :D A thread to reminisce about your favourite storylines, characters, moments, scenes, whatever you like from any soap or drama here or abroad! Feel free to discuss anything related to the aforementioned, you may also discuss what's going on now in the soaps should you wish :) This thread is not a replacement for the through the night thread, meaning that (for the most part) conversation must stay loosely on topic. However, it's a similar sort of thread in that it brings the whole soap forum together to one place, and I'm intending for it to be fairly lighthearted and fun :)

Please don't bring any discussions relating to last night into this thread, let's start with a clean slate and keep this a friendly and fun thread to be a part of.

Thanks and enjoy :)

Great idea Ben. I would agree with Rick, Claremont and Blonde Gremlin's choices. Corrie struck gold with those storylines Rick mentioned and Karen McDonald was utterly brilliant. :)
  • TheGraduate2012TheGraduate2012 Posts: 14,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With Whitney being heavily featured on EE this week, I've been thinking back to her earlier storylines and how great Shona was during them, even though they were harrowing stories to watch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With Whitney being heavily featured on EE this week, I've been thinking back to her earlier storylines and how great Shona was during them, even though they were harrowing stories to watch.

She was the best thing about Bianca's 2008 return.
    Forum Member
    Me too, in fact I loved Corrie throughout the 00s!! :)

What I really loved was the introduction of all the younger characters around 99/00/01 sort of time!
    The old guard had served the show well over the years but in the 90s times had changed & Corrie was beginning to feel stale & old fashioned!! I know others disagree on this but I think the 'new broom' idea worked wonders (in this case Brian Park followed by Jane McNaught between 97-02) & set the template for the future by gradually introducing a whole new generation of characters who have now become mainstays & letting us see them grow up on set!! I am talking the Battersby girls (Leanne & Toyah), the Grimshaw lads (Todd & Jason), the young Platts (Sarah & David), the Webster girls (Rosie & Sophie), Tyrone, Maria, Kirk, Fiz & others now departed like the Harris kids & Candice!!
    As i say many of these have become mainline characters now, some bringing up kids of their own which surely, given some good imaginative castings of these kids as they grow up can propel Corrie into a whole new generation of characters to entertain for years to come!!

Sorry this post is probably far too long for this thread but you know what I'm like when I get 'off on one' about Corrie!! :blush::p:D

Hi ndd :) I'm too young to have watched Corrie properly around 99/2000/2001 Ish, but have seen clips and competely agree with you, I would also add that the younger characters were more 'normal' (for want of a better word) :D then, they went out and did things etc. Whereas now, the likes of Chesney, Sinead, Sophie etc aren't ever seen with friends outside of the street, they aren't seen out & about and enjoying themselves. I think this is something Corrie really need to work on, like I say they did in so well in the early 2000s, so why not now? Hopefully with the younger cast getting a bit of a boost we will start to see some of this in the near future.

On a completely unrelated note, ndd, may I ask, seeing as you only watch Corrie, why is your name Emmerdale related? :D:p
  • Dax_5Dax_5 Posts: 4,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it limited to soaps or does the thread include stuff like Casualty and Waterloo Road ETC? (I know there's a Waterloo Road Favourite Moments or something thread).
  • TheGraduate2012TheGraduate2012 Posts: 14,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    0...0 wrote: »
    She was the best thing about Bianca's 2008 return.

Definitely.
    Forum Member
    xItzDannyx wrote: »
    Is it limited to soaps or does the thread include stuff like Casualty and Waterloo Road ETC? (I know there's a Waterloo Road Favourite Moments or something thread).

Danny the OP states that you can discuss anything related to any soap or drama past or present, anything at all. So, yes those programmes are included in that :)
  • BlondeGremlinBlondeGremlin Posts: 5,650
    Forum Member
    xItzDannyx wrote: »

I loved Waterloo Road in the early days with Chloe, Mica, Dante etc. I still vividly remember the episode where Tom was marrying the blonde teacher (her name escapes me) and he was carrying on with Jill Halfpennys character (memory blank on her name too!). I think it might have been the first episode. I loved it back then, and then of course was the crash involving the youngsters. Twas brilliant before it got a bit daft.

Eta Lorna and Izzy were the names, my memory is shocking!
    Forum Member
    I loved Waterloo Road in the early days with Chloe, Mica, Dante etc. I still vividly remember the episode where Tom was marrying the blonde teacher (her name escapes me) and he was carrying on with Jill Halfpennys character (memory blank on her name too!). I think it might have been the first episode. I loved it back then, and then of course was the crash involving the youngsters. Twas brilliant before it got a bit daft.

Eta Lorna and Izzy were the names, my memory is shocking!

Hi BG :) I was a big Waterloo Road Fan , especially the earlier series but not exclusively :) So many standout moments, too many to mention! It lost it's way a bit later on, graudally got more & more far fetched. Izzy's stabbing always sticks in my head, very sad scene and so unexpected at the time :( Brett, Mika, Donte etc were my favourite characters ever I think, the originals are always the best! :D
  • MR_PitkinMR_Pitkin Posts: 30,750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic idea for a thread OP

It belongs in Chatter.