Options

cougar Michelle

Comments

• Options
    ZarlaZarla Posts: 5,610
    Forum Member
    I thought she looked hot tonight! I never had that thought about the old Michelle, I confess.

It's still so jarring having to pretend this character is Michelle. Such a stupid idea from SOC.

Jenna Russell was really good looking as a younger woman and she's still got great bone structure, big eyes and wide full mouth. She had long thick straight hair too ...completely different from Sue Tully as a youngster. The guy at the bar was a student so maybe about 21?
  • Options
    davejc64davejc64 Posts: 6,077
    Forum Member
    Her and Jay will end up shagging.
  • Options
    ZarlaZarla Posts: 5,610
    Forum Member
    davejc64 wrote: »

Yes, he was much too concerned about her chatting up the student and acted like he had a covert interest in her. They are setting them up for an affair.
  • Options
    Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Please no!
  • Options
    supergran0606supergran0606 Posts: 2,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bass55 wrote: »
    I hate this new "Michelle". Bringing her back has been a massive mistake.

Me too, compare her to her old school mate Sharon and she looks so frumpy and old - what are they early 40's, with that hair and her clothes she looks much older
  • Options
    vanessalouvanessalou Posts: 1,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a woman in her 50's, that line the young man said to Michelle when Jay came over "is that your son?" OUCH!!!!
  • Options
    SuperSoaperSuperSoaper Posts: 5,724
    Forum Member
    I'm warming to her a bit more now, but I still don't accept her as Michelle. Instead I see her as an entirely different character.
  • Options
    ChipDouglas82ChipDouglas82 Posts: 6,700
    Forum Member
    She always reminds me of Nicholas Lyndhurst

Michelle?!
  • Options
    davejc64davejc64 Posts: 6,077
    Forum Member
    She always reminds me of Nicholas Lyndhurst

Michelle?!

I see her more as 'Frank Spenser' from 'some mothers do ave em' even sounds like him sometimes, all she needs to say is "Ooo Betty the cat's done a whoopsie in my beret." :D
  • Options
    ilovenicnacsilovenicnacs Posts: 43,397
    Forum Member
    Aren't they all 15 years old in year 10?

Surely Michelle is not interested in them that young.
    That Preston was 17 when they finished so must have been 16 or less when they got together :eek:
    Me too, compare her to her old school mate Sharon and she looks so frumpy and old - what are they early 40's, with that hair and her clothes she looks much older
    Think Michelle and Sharon were 15 or 16 when the show started, so would be around 48 ish :)
    I see her more as 'Frank Spenser' from 'some mothers do ave em' even sounds like him sometimes, all she needs to say is "Ooo Betty the cat's done a whoopsie in my beret." :D
    :D
    http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/12/27/23/3BAC12B800000578-0-image-a-56_1482881746868.jpg
    http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/mOZtDL0RbW0/0.jpg
  • Options
    LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That Preston was 17 when they finished so must have been 16 or less when they got together :eek:
    Or he'd just turned 17 when they first got together.

A year / about a year same difference in most people's eyes. Not that his being 17 at the time would make a difference re law.

The whole story sucks but I'm trying not to imagine the worst case scenarios. It's bad enough without doing that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LHolmes wrote: »
    Or he'd just turned 17 when they first got together.

A year / about a year same difference in most people's eyes. Not that his being 17 at the time would make a difference re law.

The whole story sucks but I'm trying not to imagine the worst case scenarios. It's bad enough without doing that.

Dunno, I just remember Michelle saying HE'S 17, so I assumed he is 17 now... which if they were together for a year and a,couple of months, he would have been 16 or less.. I stand to be corrected if wrong. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dunno, I just remember Michelle saying HE'S 17, so I assumed he is 17 now... which if they were together for a year and a,couple of months, he would have been 16 or less.. I stand to be corrected if wrong. :D
    She said it went on for a year. I can't remember if she said 'he's 17 now' or just 'he's 17.

I wish they hadn't done this story at all. All it's done is put a tricky recast up against it even more.
  • Options
    EvilredzebraEvilredzebra Posts: 16,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Exactly what I thought. He's far too concerned that she's making a fool of herself for such a new acquaintance. I've quite enjoyed Jenna Russell in the role up to now but the cougar thing is making me rapidly change my mind.
  • Options
    AbsolutelyAbsolutely Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprised that Stacey and Martin are not wondering when she is going back home again. I know she explained to Sharon, but not to them about her losing her job, and why.
  • Options
    Chihiro77Chihiro77 Posts: 1,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good on her! There are a lot of jealous people on DS.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It will obviously take time for people to adapt to new Michelle it's likely Jenna is in it for the long run! She was meant to be Mary The Punk and a big close fan of the show!

How long though?

I just look at Michelle as a new character now. I have given up trying to remember she is the original Michelle. Too distracting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LHolmes wrote: »
    She said it went on for a year. I can't remember if she said 'he's 17 now' or just 'he's 17.

I wish they hadn't done this story at all. All it's done is put a tricky recast up against it even more.

I'm sure she just said "he's 17, Sharon, he's 17", so I took that to mean he's 17 now. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure she just said "he's 17, Sharon, he's 17", so I took that to mean he's 17 now. :confused:
    Yeah he's definitely 17 now, what I mean re whether or not she said '17 now' after saying the affair went on for a year or just 'he's 17' is if she'd said the latter that leaves it open to interpretation that she might never have been with him when he was 16. As to most people a year or about a year are pretty much the same thing.
    How long though?

I just look at Michelle as a new character now. I have given up trying to remember she is the original Michelle. Too distracting.
    What were people expecting though?

On the issue of it not being Susan Tully, short of bringing her back (can't be done) or recasting with an identical twin she was never going to be.

No recast is ever exactly the same. That said this one has been more jarring than most but I can't help but wonder how realistic some people were being in their expectations to begin with.

I'm more disappointed in her secret and some of the characterisation than I am by the fact it's not Susan Tully. That was always going to be strange but I could've lived with that had the writing not sold her down the river.
  • Options
    The Queen VicThe Queen Vic Posts: 5,775
    Forum Member
    I really like Michelle - what's the problem with her coming on to that guy in the bar last night? He was legally of age and he seemed to be pretty up for it too. Of course, she's got form and she did break the law in America, which I only assume is going to come back and haunt her. I think Jenna Russell's doing a brilliant, very difficult job, and I like the fact they haven't brought Michelle back to 'safe' stories - Michelle ALWAYS made bad decisions with men.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really like Michelle - what's the problem with her coming on to that guy in the bar last night? He was legally of age and he seemed to be pretty up for it too. Of course, she's got form and she did break the law in America, which I only assume is going to come back and haunt her. I think Jenna Russell's doing a brilliant, very difficult job, and I like the fact they haven't brought Michelle back to 'safe' stories - Michelle ALWAYS made bad decisions with men.
    Truthfully I've not minded her so much in recent episodes. I just think they shouldn't have gone there with the sleazy secret. They have also made Michelle a creature to be pitied which I wouldn't have done.

The jokes about her being unsafe around children of Denny's age are old. She broke the law but you can't compare what she did to paedophilia with young children. Did Carol's relationship with Connor suddenly make her interested in 10 year olds?

At least they've said or inferred that she's going through some sort of midlife crisis hence the interest in younger blokes. And the saving grace of last night's scene with the student and the Jay stuff (if it goes anywhere) is at least it's legal unlike the relationship with Preston.
  • Options
    KatEndersKatEnders Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Exactly, It's been 20 years since Michelle was last in the show and she has changed! I do think people get all nostalgic about Michelle and overreact sometimes on how her character use to be and how it's changed.. These are the same people who want EE to move on and keep with the times and not look to the past....
  • Options
    Damien_JohnsonDamien_Johnson Posts: 2,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not usually one to cry political correctness - but there's a bit of sexism on this thread.

So it's ok for Max to chase after younger girls, but when Michelle does it it's 'creepy'?

They were both consenting adults wanting some no strings attached sex. Good for them. I didn't think it was 'creepy' at all.