Sharp RGB Problem

I've got a 32" Sharp widescreen TV (not sure of the serial no but it's grey!!!). I have my DVD plugged into it via the RGB scart socket but thepicture can not be switched into 4:3 mode. Pressing the button on the remote and going through the options has no effect. The same thing happens if I put Sky through it.

However, if I plug the DVD (or Sky for that matter) into one of the other scarts - no problem. I can switch away to my hearts content but with much reduced picture quality.

Anyone have any ideas!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very strange!

Sounds like there's something wrong with the first SCART socket, pin8 probably locking the Aspect ratio. Althhough I would of thought the TV remote would be able to override it.

Try a diff scart lead too (21 pin connnected type).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to recap....

Can you toggle through other modes except 4:3?
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    De ja vu....

In another DS forum I think someone is having Sharp RGB problems with aspect ratio.... as mentioned there, I'm sure I recall reading on DS that some Sharp WS TV's suffer from odd RGB / aspect ratio switching... something Sharp call a 'feature'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    I can toggle through all the modes (auto,full,normal,cinema,etc) but it has no effect; the picture stays in 16:9.

The really weird thing is that it does this on all of my DVD's (and Sky as I said before) but for one exception. When I play the documentary on the Halloween DVD, the picture suddenly changes to the correct ratio of 4:3!!!!!

What gives???????
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the same thing on a Sony WS TV - all RGB pictures are displayed 16:9 no matter what they start out as, although the zoom feature still works which corrects the shape, but cuts off graphics at the top and bottom of the picture.

Composite switches between 16:9 and 4:3 but the picture quality is not as good.

And the manual says that's the way it should be - I guess that's the same that Sharp thinks!

There must be a logic there somewhere...