Options

The Amazing Race Season 25

Comments

• Options
    Gwaed WaedlydGwaed Waedlyd Posts: 5,401
    Forum Member
    Wow surprise ending, but then they ruin it by showing the team who gets 4th next week in the preview for next week.

Overall a good episode, I am enjoying how unpredictable it is.
  • Options
    starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never watch the previews, never like getting spoiled. Though of course people on US forums for instance always like discussing spoiling previews (while at the same time complaining about them).

I thought the scientists were idiots giving a spot in their transport to the dentists, they deserved to be eliminated for that alone. The arrogant remarks the dentistsroll out like clockwork sound like they are part of a script so I never take those words seriously. The scientists made it clear that their script is to be the underdogs, but I still doesn't make me support them. Mid-leg eliminations aren't my favourite thing and 4 in the final made this leg a bit anti-climactic I thought. The challenges looked reasonably tough again at least.
  • Options
    Alex_B1Alex_B1 Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    Not sure if I like the twist, and no mention of any penalty for coming last? This whole episode meant nothing?

I once read a spoiler at the start of a season about who would win that season, and that ruined the whole season for me. So I avoided sites that give out spoilers. I have no idea who might come fourth or who would win this time.
  • Options
    EnricoIVEnricoIV Posts: 4,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alex_B1 wrote: »
    Not sure if I like the twist, and no mention of any penalty for coming last? This whole episode meant nothing?

I once read a spoiler at the start of a season about who would win that season, and that ruined the whole season for me. So I avoided sites that give out spoilers. I have no idea who might come fourth or who would win this time.

It was essentially just a "To be continued ... " that will be a double leg to the finish line.
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked the twist at the end at least it was a surprise unlike if Amy and Maya had actually been eliminated, having 4 in the final may make it more unpredictable too
  • Options
    CwejCwej Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the preview but didn't work out who comes 4th next week. Maybe I'm not very observant…

I am really pleased to keep Amy and Maya in practical terms, just because I really like them as a team, and I quite like the idea of surprising them with 4 teams in the final as a twist (and I LOVE the 'Keep Racing' for the final leg twist). However, I really wish they hadn't done it a week after ANOTHER non-elimination leg. They had also better tell the other 3 teams that there are 4 teams racing and that it is a mid-leg elimination happening!

For me that was a really good episode though. Lots of good mistakes from the team, which are always the things that add the biggest drama.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Its a continuing leg and they are still racing, so technically not a pit stop.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cwej wrote: »
    I watched the preview but didn't work out who comes 4th next week. Maybe I'm not very observant.
    I assume it's that shot of Phil with the eliminated teams waiting for the final 3 teams to arrive. It went past so quickly and all the teams were seen in the distance, so anyone who spotted anything must have a very keen eye. Still, it is a very silly thing to do because someone would have seen something. If they want to have 4 teams in the finale, then at least keep the fourth-finishing team out of shot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just realised that this being effectively a non-elimination leg means that Jim and Misti have STILL not been eligible for a single elimination since Episode 1…!! They really should have had the Save taken off of them when they handed it in for that non-elimination leg.

I think the way to make the Save really work is if they have to hand it in BEFORE Phil announces their position so that they can use it if they feel there is any risk at all they are last - and if they hand it in and turns out they are not last, then tough. You've lost your save. (Though I'd rather they didn't have it at all).

I hate the fact that the teams now know exactly what position they are in throughout though (with stupid additions like Phil standing around going 'Jim and Misti are in 1st place… ' as they run past him. I also seem to recall that in previous seasons they would put more clues into the clue boxes than there are teams, so that no-one had any idea what position they were in).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I heard they actually blurred out a team at the finish line in a preview in a recent season to stop idiots spoiling it for everyone.

I may have been spoiled on two teams not winning anyway, spoiler people are everywhere and they think they are so clever knowing what will happen they want to spoil any thread they go in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No surprise on the winners, the edit was building them up to win it. I liked the last task, seemed difficult and really challenging.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great result. But then, I had a 50-50 chance of a team I liked winning. So happy on the fourth out. What miserable, awful people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The stunt task was an utterly pathetic processional effort. A mid-leg elimination is questionable anyway but after something like that it's just ridiculous. I've seen more exciting stunt tasks than a few jumps like that anyway, I'd expect better from the main country of film making and the money they have available.

The memory task was ok though it didn't take much time in the HLs and so didn't seen to have much drama. And the editing made a big deal of creating suspense around who finished it first so it was obvious that the winner left first.

The good thing was the leg had self navigation even if we had to listen to car adverts to get that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm happy that the wrestlers went out at 4th place, but I would agree with them that they shouldn't have been in that position in the first place. There was really no challenge up until their elimination apart from driving to the right location (if they had followed the surfers properly they would have been OK), so it is kinda unfair to them. It is just a simple roll of the dice as to who got eliminated.

The final roadblock is a good-ish challenge, but otherwise it hasn't been a great finale. I'm OK with the scientists winning (apart from the feeling that they should by right have been eliminated in Manila), but would have preferred the surfers. Overall an OK-ish but enjoyable season. Next season looks interesting, plenty of opportunities for fireworks when you throw strangers together in stressful situations.
  • Options
    chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An epic fail season finale. They really should lengthen it to 2 hours.

And what a ridiculous elimination.

The only good thing about the finale was the 2nd roadblock.

It was a shame because I quite liked this season but the SF really ruined it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really liked Maya (and Amy, though she was kind of nothing-y), so pleased for them, but I agree it kind of feels wrong that they were still in it at all following the weird non-elimination in the last episode. But they pulled a good leg today and though she's been the more redundant member of the team, Amy was the person who won it for them, in what I think is one of the best final challenges they've used in 25 seasons.

I wasn't the hugest fan of Jim (though I really liked Misti - she kind of reminded me of Valerie Cherish at times :D ) but they really really did deserve to win more than any team. I'm hoping that the producers have realised how useless the Save is though and get rid of it. It made them invincible for bloody ages.

And the other team that were basically invincible for most of the race were Adam and Bethany with their Express Pass. Having said that, they didn't use it until they had to, because they never needed to and that is testament to how consistent they were.

I think the final 4 teams were all pretty well cast teams and I'll remember them in the future, so I think it's been a decent season. Not one of the best, but not one of the worst either.

Season 26 looks interesting - I love the idea of First Dates… I assume these are couples that have been internet dating or something.
  • Options
    FiercefanaticFiercefanatic Posts: 3,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved the winners! I love how Maya was so involved with the race and wanted to take in the beautiful cultures and everything - it really showed what the race is about and not just a competition.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm happy that the wrestlers went out at 4th place, but I would agree with them that they shouldn't have been in that position in the first place. There was really no challenge up until their elimination apart from driving to the right location (if they had followed the surfers properly they would have been OK), so it is kinda unfair to them. It is just a simple roll of the dice as to who got eliminated.

The final roadblock is a good-ish challenge, but otherwise it hasn't been a great finale. I'm OK with the scientists winning (apart from the feeling that they should by right have been eliminated in Manila), but would have preferred the surfers. Overall an OK-ish but enjoyable season. Next season looks interesting, plenty of opportunities for fireworks when you throw strangers together in stressful situations.

It's unfair to them that they weren't able to just piggy-back on another team's efforts to keep themselves in the race? Yeah, that seems really "unfair" to me. Not.

And it wasn't a simple roll of the dice. It was who was able to think and act for themselves. Had they been five minutes behind the others, maybe I'd have some sympathy. But they were ages behind. They had their destinies in their own hands. Not in the hands of a cab driver. And they blew it.

The dolts got what they deserved.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was just the first three that turned up at the stunt challenge who went on, but the challenges are meant to be part of the drama and suspense. There wasn't even an elimination mat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    EnricoIV wrote: »
    It's unfair to them that they weren't able to just piggy-back on another team's efforts to keep themselves in the race? Yeah, that seems really "unfair" to me. Not.
    Piggy-backing has always been part of Amazing Race, a bit late to complain about it now.
    And it wasn't a simple roll of the dice. It was who was able to think and act for themselves. Had they been five minutes behind the others, maybe I'd have some sympathy. But they were ages behind. They had their destinies in their own hands. Not in the hands of a cab driver. And they blew it.
    The complaint about roll of the dice is that if everyone had driven to the place correctly and on time (which can happen in TAR because people often follow each other), then it is simply chance as to who got eliminated. There was no challenge in any task they had to do (and the wrestlers were eliminated before doing the stunt). For example if the wrestlers had followed the surfers, then it would be the dentists who got eliminated, I'd say that would be very unfair.

As I've said, I'm happy that the wrestlers got eliminated first, so the fact that I'm agreeing with them, having sympathy for the villains as it were, it shows that the producers got it wrong in the way they designed the finale.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Piggy-backing has always been part of Amazing Race, a bit late to complain about it now.

I'm not complaining that anyone piggy-backs. That's something I can't stand hearing so many idiot contestants saying ... complaining that the team trailing them is "following them" when they're all headed down the road going the same place. Of course they're following them. Doesn't mean that they're relying on the head team to lead them. It's just something stupid to complain about. You can't do anything about it.

I was complaining because you said it was unfair that they were eliminated because their own poor navigation made them unable to piggy-back. It's not. It's totally fair, and was their own damn fault. They failed to keep up with the team they decided just to follow. So they lost. And deservedly so.

As for it being chance ... the whole game is a huge chance. However, all you have to do is look at how many legs, or even just segments of the race, where the leads change quite a bit, to see that it's not just chance. They're not traveling in a straight line, one after the other. Look at how many things happened just upon their arrival in Los Angeles that affected their position. People stopped to ask directions and lost time, people got lost and lost time, people didn't take off their stunt-man costume and lost time, they swam out to the rescue dummy slower than others and lost time. That's not random, or chance. That's how they performed that got them there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was complaining because you said it was unfair that they were eliminated because their own poor navigation made them unable to piggy-back. It's not. It's totally fair, and was their own damn fault. They failed to keep up with the team they decided just to follow. So they lost. And deservedly so.
    You misunderstood. It is unfair because there was no challenge. In another circumstance another team could have been eliminated, it is not specifically about the wrestlers. If the dentists or surfers got eliminated this way, there would have been lots of complaints. It just so happens that it was the wrestlers who got eliminated, I would have said it is unfair whoever it was that got eliminated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Navigating yourself from point A to point B is a challenge. And in this show, it's always a HUGE challenge. Very often the deciding factor.

You're making the mistake of thinking that they have to be doing either a Roadblock or a Detour, to be doing a challenge. The whole race is the challenge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And in this show, it's always a HUGE challenge. Very often the deciding factor.

Not in modern times so much actually, in the early seasons definitely.

The roadblocks/detours are an important part of the show and if there is a silly mid-leg elimination they really to be difficult in the early part of a leg.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Navigating yourself from point A to point B is a challenge. And in this show, it's always a HUGE challenge. Very often the deciding factor.

You're making the mistake of thinking that they have to be doing either a Roadblock or a Detour, to be doing a challenge.
    I have watched the show since season one, and you want to tell me how the show works?
    The whole race is the challenge.
    And that is the point, when the whole race is reduced to a simple driving test, it is unfair. The whole race is split into legs, at the end of the leg a pair of racers may be eliminated, and it is very rare that they eliminate racers in the middle of a leg - there was for example a season when a pair of racers were eliminated right at the start for finishing last in finding a clue, and it did feel unfair for the racers to be eliminated like that. Normally racers goes through a series of tasks where they have the opportunities to fight not to be eliminated. This is in fact what makes TAR worth watching, otherwise it is just a boring travelogue.

Most times when someone reached a location last, they can fight back by doing the task well, and if you remove the chance for the racers to fight back, it will not be a meaningful race, and it'll be a very boring one too. Bad episodes are ones where the racers go from one place to the next in exactly the same order most of the time, and those episodes have no challenges worth the name. In this finale, the wrestlers got eliminated for what is essentially a driving test with no chance to fight back, and that is very unfair considering the grueling leg they had in Manila. It was just chance they got eliminated - if they did not have a momentary lapse in concentration when they were following the surfers, then the dentists would have been eliminated, and it would have been extremely unfair for the dentists to be eliminated that way.