Why do France and America not get along

21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
Forum Member
I'm a British teenager with French ansesctory and have noticed that the Americans intensley dislike France, almost as much as the French intensley dislike the Americans. What is the root/ reason for all of this?

(and of course, I am speaking in general terms because it would have been too long and too wordy to point out that not all Americans and French people intensley dislike one and other)

Comments

• trevalyantrevalyan Posts: 7,705
    Forum Member
    and this
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Polar opposites. Whenever I've been to France, I've always noticed how laid back, relaxed and not in your face, the French are, especially outside Paris.

The Americans seem to be the exact opposite to that, for the most part.

They just seem to irritate each other.
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does France get along with anybody?

For that matter does America?

Perhaps they recognise similar traits in each other?
  • dawnrayddawnrayd Posts: 6,746
    Forum Member
    To summarise though, the French feel their culture is threatened by global American influence, and are generally quite prickly anyway. :)
  • fraserafrasera Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    the french think they are the height of culture and are bitter that america got democracy right first:P there was sneering at america long before america was a super power.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well they seem to get on ok with the Italians, but they are very easy going anyway.

They certainly don't like the British, that's for sure. Although at personal level, they seem not too bad.
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Well they seem to get on ok with the Italians, but they are very easy going anyway.

They certainly don't like the British, that's for sure.
    They like the Scots, it's just the English they object to :p
    Forum Member

and we don't like them, the cheese-eating surrender monkeys!
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member

All of the French I've ever met seem to be lovely to me. But that may be cause I am not fully British :eek:

I think France generally get on well with other Mediterranean nations, and Switzerland, Belgium etc.

Not sure they're overly keen on the Germans, either tbh
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get the impression that they don't like each other because America expects everyone to do what it says, and France won't automatically do what America says, and America has hissy fits about it. Cheese-eating surrender monkeys, anyone?
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Freedom is a weird thing.

I suspect many in America find it easier to describe themselves as being Christian rather than non religious.

More to do with their power.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All of the French I've ever met seem to be lovely to me. But that may be cause I am not fully British :eek:

I think France generally get on well with other Mediterranean nations, and Switzerland, Belgium etc.

Neither are we. That much we do have in common :cool:
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Polar opposites. Whenever I've been to France, I've always noticed how laid back, relaxed and not in your face, the French are, especially outside Paris.

The Americans seem to be the exact opposite to that, for the most part.

They just seem to irritate each other.

I've found the americans lovely and the french have a superiority complex that everything french is superior to english products yet they couldn't tell the difference between Cantal and Cheddar.
    Forum Member
    Lol God bless the Germans, are they popular anywhere??
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guess which country played a significant part in the creation of modern-day America? ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pickwick wrote: »
    I get the impression that they don't like each other because America expects everyone to do what it says, and France won't automatically do what America says, and America has hissy fits about it. Cheese-eating surrender monkeys, anyone?

Nail probably hit firmly on head :)
    Forum Member
    Guess which country played a significant part in the creation of modern-day America? ;)

Exactly. The French actually fought with the Americans against the British, but the second France refuse to fight with the Americans again, they are branded "cowards". In the long run, France's desicion not to go to war in Iraq/ Afghanistan has benefited them, both on the national stage and in terms of their homeland security.
  • ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was to do with French Fries, also known as "American Style Chips"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

frasera wrote: »
    the french think they are the height of culture and are bitter that america got democracy right first:P there was sneering at america long before america was a super power.

Maybe because of people like you. France doesn't hate the US more than the UK - it's stems from France leaning culturally to the EU and the UK to the USA. I remember there being a propaganda campaign in the US about the French being "Surrender Monkeys" - all the French did was reject the Iraq war... which was within their rights.
    Forum Member
    deleted
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pickwick wrote: »

You know you've got a great point when you quote a yellow cartoon boy.
  • the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

France and Germany have a very strong relationship.
  • fraserafrasera Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Maybe because of people like you. France doesn't hate the US more than the UK - it's stems from France leaning culturally to the EU and the UK to the USA. I remember there being a propaganda campaign in the US about the French being "Surrender Monkeys" - all the French did was reject the Iraq war... which was within their rights.

oh dont talk out of your keester.
    http://www.amazon.com/Anti-Americanism-Jean-Francois-Revel/dp/1893554856
    its a VERY long history of antiamericanism from france. long before even the surrender monkey thing came around.

like it or not the french still think they should act like a world power and cultural leader and the fact that they arent grinds their gears. the fact that anglo american culture and language reigns supreme really gets them going.
  • ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol God bless the Germans, are they popular anywhere??

Germany?