Options

Will we ever see normal folk in big brother?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BB4 mifgt not have been as good as the previous 3, 3 being the one I enjoyed most, but it wasn't as bad as a lot of people made out. Looking back, it may not be as "action packed" as the rest but it really wasn't that bad

I agree. BB6 was the series I found intolerable. Why? I watched BB to like/support housemates. There wasn't anyone remotely likeable. BB4 had a load of likeable folks.
  • Options
    ABCZYXABCZYX Posts: 12,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SG-1 wrote: »
    It takes all kinds I guess,BB4 was a dull mess of a series with absolutely no housemates worthy of watching because they did nothing to entertain me.
    I was bored out my skull by Gos being a lazy arse who did nothing except sleep and cook.
    Cameron was pretty bland as was Jon and pretty much most of the others.
    The only housemate that looked to have life was evicted within days of entering the house.
    Sorry I did not find Stephs cleaning obsession or Ray playing with himself under a duvet in the toilet particularly interesting.

There was a lot more to it than that. There were a number of big things that happened during the series:
    - First night nominations, (admittedly, the wrong person may have gone, but at the time, the prospect of the HMs having to nominate after only one hour was exciting).
    - Justine's close relationship with Jon turning sour, ending up with her not liking him at all.
    - Federico not taking the tasks seriously, being solely responsible for the failure of the first two tasks and almost failing another.
    - The first ever double eviction.
    - The housemate swap, (still as engrossing to watch today).
    - The Reward Room, (the discovery that there was a secret room that nobody knew about was great. A secret room/house has been overdone now, but it was a first in BB4, and it was very exciting. I always looked forward to see what the next Reward Room would look like and was always amazed at just how quick they could completely change the look of it in such a short space of time).
    - Ray's reaction to one of the Reward Rooms being a girly themed hotel, knowing that he would have to share it with Cameron.
    - A housemate coming back.
    - Lisa unsettling the others, and her "two fingers" comment.
    - Cameron's uncontrollable laughter at the "Ewar Woowar" joke.
    - The bomb scare, with the cameras having to be turned off for the first ever time. This also resulted in the next day there being the first eviction with no crowd.
    - The first Head of House, with only the HoH being allowed to nominate.

This, also with the majority of the HMs being nice, relatable people who were mostly in it for the experience, rather than hoping for fame, is why I liked it. They were the type of HMs I prefer watching - normal people I can relate to who are being themselves that don't have any hidden agendas.
    5 has had some fantastic housemates imo.
    BB12 was poor but Lydia,Deana,Lauren,Caroline, were excellent interesting housemates to watch in BB13.

I'm not a big fan of any of the C5 series, but admittedly, BB13 is my favourite out of them because of the fact I got behind the Outsiders group. They were easy to route for because the Insiders could be just so despicably nasty at times.

C5 have had some good HMs, but I do prefer the HMs that have been on the C4 series. In yohinnchild's poll this year, there were not many of the C5 HMs that I had actually ranked in my top 50.
    I remember on this forum though BB14 was being compared as the best since BB7 and I tend to agree with that.

I don't see what was so great about BB14. It had a lot of similarities with BB15. In my mind, the only real difference was that BB15 was a lot nastier. Both series had constant outside contact, the HMs found out so much on what the public thought of them, the same HMs each time were getting secret task after secret task, BB kept telling them what had been said about them behind their back to try and create arguments. I don't understand why BB14 is praised and BB15 isn't, when apart from BB15's nastiness, they are in my eyes, both fairly similar series.
    BB4 mifgt not have been as good as the previous 3, 3 being the one I enjoyed most, but it wasn't as bad as a lot of people made out. Looking back, it may not be as "action packed" as the rest but it really wasn't that bad

No, it wasn't that bad at all. I rewatched the whole series last year because I really enjoyed watching it when it was originally on and just to see if I would now find it boring. But I didn't. It was slower paced than today's BB, (BB1-BB4 were all slower paced, to be fair, but I found it so refreshing to watch. It was lovely to see the HMs just getting to know each other naturally, with BB leaving them to it with no stirring and trying to tell them who was saying what about them behind their back. I actually think the tone of the early years is what a lot of people on these forums would like to happen for today's BB - little to no interference from BB, no info from the outside world, more genuine, relatable HMs, (etc).

If BB4 had happened before BB3, then I genuinely believe that people wouldn't have called it boring. It's just that BB3 was a very different series compared to BB1 and BB2 and had got the highest ratings, so when BB4 came along, people thought that it was going to be similar. But it had always been billed beforehand that they were going back to basics, so this wasn't going to happen. It also didn't help with BB5 immediately following it and it getting so many headlines with how extreme the HMs were.

I think it gets very unfair treatment. Whenever clips from it are shown on the TV, all we see are the HMs either sleeping or just lying about on the sofas saying and doing nothing, as if that's all they ever did when it very obviously wasn't. It also doesn't help that the fact that because at the time, it was considered to be a "boring" series, it has become somewhat fashionable to label it as "the boring BB". But it wasn't that bad at all.
  • Options
    Dante AmecheDante Ameche Posts: 20,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show seems to be aimed more at the younger, playstaion, smartphone, want to be famous for doing nothing generation. Whilst it continues to cater for them, it will never be as good as it once was.

People tend to want to see more fights and arguments just for the sake of rather than people genuinely getting on and having a laugh. In BB3, Adelle and Jade were the best of mates but then fell out rather spectacularly over a misunderstanding over a veruca. You couldn't have seen it coming but was interesting to watch. Unlike Lydia going on about her "famous" fiance but can't say who it is and getting annoyed when people stopped asking
  • Options
    waylander_1973waylander_1973 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I honestly think big brother will only get the fame hungry type, sadly most normal people do not want it on they're CV's in the future.
  • Options
    richie4evarichie4eva Posts: 217,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I honestly think big brother will only get the fame hungry type, sadly most normal people do not want it on they're CV's in the future.

No self respecting normal person will give up their time or employment to go on this show anymore

In the early days possibly but definitely not in this fame obsessed era

You need to have media connections and/or an agent from the off to just get in there

Diary Room no longer private

The constant obsession by them backstage to force un-needed arguments

If you are a nice person you get branded boring, if you are in a showmance or thoroughly nasty you will be called a brilliant housemate when you come out

The list is endless....