Options

The Great British Bake Off 2015 - Series 6

Comments

• Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    ^^ but then why enter a show if you can't commit the time. There's lots of things people would love to do but can't because of other commitments. It's a bit of a lame excuse to be fair.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^ but then why enter a show if you can't commit the time. There's lots of things people would love to do but can't because of other commitments. It's a bit of a lame excuse to be fair.

I am not excusing them, I am just saying it's more complicated than just 'she could not be arsed to practice' and that now I consider that, too, when I see what they had done.
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member

I think that's a bit harsh to be fair. Who knows what goes on at home week to week, children's illnesses, unexpected committments at works, home crises, unavoidable outside Bake Off committments etc. I know some have done brilliantly whilst fitting in exams for example (John and James spring to mind), but sometimes real life just does take over when you least expect it.
  • Options
    aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that's a bit harsh to be fair. Who knows what goes on at home week to week, children's illnesses, unexpected committments at works, home crises, unavoidable outside Bake Off committments etc. I know some have done brilliantly whilst fitting in exams for example (John and James spring to mind), but sometimes real life just does take over when you least expect it.

Is it the only show where you compete over the weekend and then return to real life in the week? The logistics must be incredible even just from the travelling point of view - and I would assume they have to be there on Friday ready to start filming on Saturday morning? It's probably one of those things that sounds doable until you are actually doing it - and then it's just a struggle to fit everything in.
  • Options
    seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    he's about as middle class as it's possible to be! In what universe would he be classed as 'working class'?

My point was "so what", not that he's 'working class'. I don't identify with this whole class system anyway, it's all so much bull.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    simsy wrote: »
    The one thing that annoyed me this week was Mary's repeated moans about blackberries bleeding. So what if they do, I've rarely had a berry in a cake etc which hasn't bled a bit, it's a bit of juice leaking and I've had tarts and cakes from many places, including the Savoy and they all had a bit of juice leakage. Sometimes the judges seem to look for potential things that could go wrong with a bake which isn't an issue at all.

I bet Mary also bakes cakes where the fruit bleeds. It's fine if it bleeds a bit, it's not fine if it's so wet it makes everything soggy!
    Also, as much as I love Mary, did anyone else thing most of the bakers meringues in the technical looked more impressive and more appetising than Mary's?

I doubt that Mary and Paul actually make the perfect example they talk about. I may be wrong but I suspect that they get someone to do it.
    And those moaning about Ian being middle class, get a grip! You'll find most of the bakers are "middle class", whether they're middle class, working class or a member of the royal family, they worked hard to get on the show so have some respect and don't be so judgmental!

What does 'middle class' even mean? Surely if you have to work for your money by definition you're working class? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Ian is a travel photographer and he was at home during the period they were shooting

He's also the official photographer of the Dalai Lama when he comes to the UK. Apparently.
    I'd buy a print of Brendan's or Howard's, Brendan is my favourite ever Bake-Off contestant!

Much as I liked Brendan, Howard was such a sweetheart.
  • Options
    firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see last weeks Daily Mail hate piece was on Sandy now its about Mat, and you can be damn sure they've been digging on Nadiya. Hoping her cousin twice removed's hairdresser's brother is an Islamist or something.
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see last weeks Daily Mail hate piece was on Sandy now its about Mat, and you can be damn sure they've been digging on Nadiya. Hoping her cousin twice removed's hairdresser's brother is an Islamist or something.

The DM really is utterly pathetic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aggs wrote: »
    Is it the only show where you compete over the weekend and then return to real life in the week? The logistics must be incredible even just from the travelling point of view - and I would assume they have to be there on Friday ready to start filming on Saturday morning? It's probably one of those things that sounds doable until you are actually doing it - and then it's just a struggle to fit everything in.

I agree - I think it is a bit 'off' to scoff unless you have actually been there and done it.

This is a link to the blog which Danny Bryden (the ITU consultant) did after her stint on GBBO. She was no hand wringing wimp and her description of what was involved is well worth a read.

https://bakingastherapy.wordpress.com/2012/10/21/bake-off-confidential-bittersweet-adventures-in-a-tv-show/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good evening All - getting ready for my Extra Slice.
  • Options
    vixyvicvixyvic Posts: 13,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    Good evening All - getting ready for my Extra Slice.
    Good evening, I'll join you :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved the element of panic in Lisa's voice there when she realised she was supposed to taste that 'cake'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite like the Giraffe cakes!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also like Glyn Purnell :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vixyvic wrote: »
    I also like Glyn Purnell :D

I really like him too - always comes across as down to earth and great fun.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this celebrity panel is good fun and seems to be getting on well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sandy is reminding me a bit of Victoria Wood :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vixyvic wrote: »
    Sandy is reminding me a bit of Victoria Wood :)

I always enjoyed her sense of humour. I bet she would be great company.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jg. wrote: »
    They get a list of each week's theme, signature brief and showstopper brief before filming starts so there are many many weeks to prepare and practice

I would think they would still practice week by week, it would get too complicated otherwise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    I always enjoyed her sense of humour. I bet she would be great company.
    I agree.
  • Options
    parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    I completely admit I was wrong, and swayed by my bias for Tamal :blush:. Ian's an obviously brilliant baker and doing fine, most of his stuff looks, and obviously tastes, scrumptious.

Don't worry, Tamal will win star baker soon, I reckon. It was very close this week.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I guess unforeseen stuff can come up unexpectedly!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    aggs wrote: »

I hope their travels costs are covered and that they don't skimp on it. Someone like Flora would need to be able to fly to the location, she lives up in the Scottish Highlands!
  • Options
    JayinthegardenJayinthegarden Posts: 1,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great article by Danny. Food for thought ;)