BBC coverage of EU Referendum

Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Yesterday Jean-Claude Juncker gave his annual State of the Union address in the European parliament. In his speech he had some significant things to say about Britain's in/out referendum.

I expected the BBC to cover this speech in some detail but when I watched their 10pm flagship news report the speech hardly got a mention.

Of course if they had have shown some footage of this speech they would have had to balance it with some footage of Nigel Farage ripping JCJ a fresh one.

Now that the government is being forced into purdah is the BBC going to be leading the Remain campaign?

Comments

• OxygenatedOxygenated Posts: 1,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom2023 wrote: »
    Yesterday Jean-Claude Juncker gave his annual State of the Union address in the European parliament. In his speech he had some significant things to say about Britain's in/out referendum.

I expected the BBC to cover this speech in some detail but when I watched their 10pm flagship news report the speech hardly got a mention.

Of course if they had have shown some footage of this speech they would have had to balance it with some footage of Nigel Farage ripping JCJ a fresh one.

Now that the government is being forced into purdah is the BBC going to be leading the Remain campaign?

Why am I not surprised?
  • shaun_davidsshaun_davids Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you going to be impartial and give us your opinions on itv news, sky news, c4 news, channel 5 news etc ?
  • Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you going to be impartial and give us your opinions on itv news, sky news, c4 news, channel 5 news etc ?

That would be off topic and against the forum rules.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CNN brought Johnny Rotten on to discuss it.
  • human naturehuman nature Posts: 13,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hardly got a mention? So the speech did get a mention then? All you're really saying is that the coverage didn't go into as much detail as you would have liked. I bet there was extensive coverage on the BBC News Channel (probably the whole speech live) and online too. The 10pm bulletin is too short go cover everything that's happening in the world in great detail.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hardly got a mention? So the speech did get a mention then? All you're really saying is that the coverage didn't go into as much detail as you would have liked. I bet there was extensive coverage on the BBC News Channel (probably the whole speech live) and online too. The 10pm bulletin is too short go cover everything that's happening in the world in great detail.

This was the EU State of Union speech at a time when the EU is being ripped apart. It should have been the headline story.

How many people watch news24? The 10 o'clock news is not just a bulletin it is their flagship news show watched by millions.
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    and if they had made it their headline item and given it the coverage you seem to think it should have got, this thread would have been moaning about the BBC giving the EU too much of a platform to spread their "propoganda" ...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This was the EU State of Union speech at a time when the EU is being ripped apart. It should have been the headline story.

How many people watch news24? The 10 o'clock news is not just a bulletin it is their flagship news show watched by millions.

News24 hasn't existed for years.

The BBC News Channel did cut away from the 1 O'Clock News, CNN did a special show and dropped the usual News Stream show.
  • GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member

And then people like you would have accused them of having a republican agenda....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    and if they had made it their headline item and given it the coverage you seem to think it should have got, this thread would have been moaning about the BBC giving the EU too much of a platform to spread their "propoganda" ...

It is the BBC's job to report the news impartially.

Not reporting an event as significant as Juncker's State of the Union speech and the reaction to it is effectively burying it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not reporting an event as significant as Juncker's State of the Union speech and the reaction to it is effectively burying it.
    But you've already said they did report it. They just didn't give it as much time as you'd have liked.
  • BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,563
    Forum Member

Should we all start a thread when we don't agree with the main story on the news? Going to be ALOT of threads if that was the case. The speech was covered so really if you feel that strongly about it then take it up with the BBC
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    Should we all start a thread when we don't agree with the main story on the news? Going to be ALOT of threads if that was the case. The speech was covered so really if you feel that strongly about it then take it up with the BBC

I can understand why a pro-EU poster would not want the BBC's editorial bias discussed. Pretty pointless complaining to the BBC when they police themselves.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But you've already said they did report it. They just didn't give it as much time as you'd have liked.

No they didn't report it. They mentioned it without reporting the detail or any reaction.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No they didn't report it. They mentioned it without reporting the detail or any reaction.

You sound like a person whose one ambition in life is to appear on Newswatch.
  • elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the OP a pro-EU poster who wants more news coverage of speeches by EU officials?

Or is there some other reason for the complaint?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elfcurry wrote: »
    Is the OP a pro-EU poster who wants more news coverage of speeches by EU officials?

Or is there some other reason for the complaint?

The BBC's editorial policy needs to be scrutinised in the run up to the referendum.

Juncker's is not an EU official he is the President of the EU and his speech yesterday was a major EU event and it should have been properly reported on the BBC's main news. I suspect it wasn't because Farage's reply was blistering and Juncker looked decidedly sheepish listening to it.
  • elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Understood. So you're suspicious that the BBC didn't report it (much/at all ?) because to show a dull EU speech they'd be obliged to give right of reply - and you're quite sure that would have given a boost to the NO side.

Farage is certainly loud and pushy (and presumably says what anti-EU people want to hear) but I tend to filter him out so maybe I'd have half-listened to the dull speech and then turned over at the sound of Farage's annoying twaddle.
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Juncker's is not an EU official he is the President of the EU and his speech yesterday was a major EU event and it should have been properly reported on the BBC's main news. I suspect it wasn't because Farage's reply was blistering and Juncker looked decidedly sheepish listening to it.

Actually Juncker is the president of the EU Commission and as such is the top EU official but he does behave like he is the president of the entire EU as opposed to an unelected bureaucrat.
  • Jim NashJim Nash Posts: 1,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Bummer for them.

Back the stay campaign and they back the government position. Government is Tory. BBC exists to get Tories out of office. Shit. Let's start that one again. No, still doesn't square.

What to do? What to do?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC doesn't have a pro-EU agenda. It's all in your imagination. It wasn't all that long ago that everyone was claiming the BBC had a pro-UKIP agenda. People just see what they want to see.
  • NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    BBC debate now going on in the house of lords currently being shown on the parliament channel tonight until 22:00.
  • NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    The debate's still rumbling on. Joan 'Baroness' Bakewell's just doing her 'beloved' BBC bit now.