And so the yearly Wigan houdini act begins.

Comments

• jake1981jake1981 Posts: 5,714
    Forum Member
    jackyork wrote: »

Wigan struggle the first half of the season because they sell 3 or 4 of their best players during the summer, the players Martinez bring in to replace the ones sold take time too gel.

Excellent point that is usually missed out by the pundits.

I'm happy for the teams with the least points to be relegated.
    Seems a fair way of doing things
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,849
    Forum Member
    jackyork wrote: »
    Based on those preferences there would be about a dozen teams in the Premier League.

When Martinez managed Swansea they were consistent throughout the season.

Wigan struggle the first half of the season because they sell 3 or 4 of their best players during the summer, the players Martinez bring in to replace the ones sold take time too gel.

Would there? There are lots of teams with massive fanbases and lots of history.
  • CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    Won't take too much for them to stay up. QPR are gone, Reading are looking like they'll blow it and Villa are finding points quite hard to come by. Even a few wins might see WIgan safe

It is surely way too early though, they haven't read the script. They usually wait till late March anyway!
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    Won't take too much for them to stay up. QPR are gone, Reading are looking like they'll blow it and Villa are finding points quite hard to come by. Even a few wins might see WIgan safe

It is surely way too early though, they haven't read the script. They usually wait till late March anyway!

We Have the FA Cup run too,so we have started early;):D
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,377
    Forum Member
    Dave Whelan should do a Houdini act and submerge himself in water, wrapped in chains
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Wigan, poor fanbase but they've got lots of competition for it and its really a rugby town.

I'd take them and the style of football they play over any Martin O'Neill or Tony Pulis team any day
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave Whelan should do a Houdini act and submerge himself in water, wrapped in chains

Let me guess he came round your house one Christmas Day and stamped on all your toys as a kid

:D

at the end of the day if it wasn't for Whelan we quite possibly wouldn't be here,and in 95 when he bought the club he was ridiculed(as he quite often is for speaking about stuff) for saying that within 10 years we would be in the Premier League,which he delivered,and for that us Wigan fans will respect him till the day he dies
    Forum Member
    Let me guess he came round your house one Christmas Day and stamped on all your toys as a kid

:D

at the end of the day if it wasn't for Whelan we quite possibly wouldn't be here,and in 95 when he bought the club he was ridiculed(as he quite often is for speaking about stuff) for saying that within 10 years we would be in the Premier League,which he delivered,and for that us Wigan fans will respect him till the day he dies

He is not well liked amongst non-Wigan fans, but then I guess you don't care much about that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is not well liked amongst non-Wigan fans, but then I guess you don't care much about that.

not really because we cant all like everybody can we:)
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Rather a sweeping generalisation I think.
    Forum Member
    Rather a sweeping generalisation I think.

Probably yes, but you hardly hear many words of praise about him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember Martinez saying last season they changed tactics in March to something he'd been planning over the winter and other teams couldn't work it out in time to stop them getting some very unexpected results.

Presumably he waits for the players to gel after the January transfer window and then unleashes his fiendish plan.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their cup form seems to have picked up as well which should help their confidence in the league..

Newcastle and Norwich coming up both at home and Villa at home last day of the season. I can't see them going down tbh.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reminds me of how they put 3 past Reading in the space of 10 minutes in the league a couple of weeks ago
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,377
    Forum Member

It was HIM?

:eek:

Great performance from Wigan in the first half. Everton fans were leaving after 32 minutes, which must surely be some sort of record

It looks like Moyes will remain trophyless for another season, but on the plus side, it was just announced that Everton's defence have been nominated for a British Comedy Award for the funniest thing seen on ITV this year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the first I've seen of Wigan this season and I'm watching an hour or so behind real time - so it's 13 mins gone and still 0:0 .although Maloney just hit the post with a great shot .
    Where did they find Kone from as he looks a marvellous player , reminds me a bit of Drogba . Kone has a great touch for a big guy . Wonder how they find these players time and time again .
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This result might be a problem in that there is now two midweek games to fit in whilst relegation rivals are playing league games
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really pleased for Wigan, they play great football and Martinez is an excellent manager and a nice guy. It'd be great if he was actually able to spend some money so he could take Wigan to the next level by playing this well more consistently.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So who out of yesterdays winning team would normally be first team starters ??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alexis07 wrote: »
    So who out of yesterdays winning team would normally be first team starters ??

most of the players in yesterdays squad were also in the squad that suffered the defeat against Liverpool
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,056
    Forum Member
    Wigan have a real chance of making the FA Cup final now. I wonder is this will assist or detract from their league form. Middlesbrough famously went down in the same season they made both cup finals.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well these three points today, certainly help them in their quest to once again stay up, and they still have another game in hand on the teams around them.
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another win for Wigan.
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Villa back in the relegation zone.:D
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well these three points today, certainly help them in their quest to once again stay up, and they still have another game in hand on the teams around them.

Isn't that against City?