Emily Davison/Suffragettes - 100 years on.

maddiesdoormaddiesdoor Posts: 828
Forum Member
✭✭
The suffragettes interest me so much and there's lots of upcoming documentaries coming up. One next week will be about Emily Wilding-Davison who famously killed herself at the Derby by jumping in front of a horse.

As it's 100 years there is an exhibition on in London. I would like to see some of the stuff actually, it even has Davison's scarf she was wearing that day!

http://www.parliament.uk/visiting/exhibitions-and-events/exhibitions/suffragettes/

Comments

• dee123dee123 Posts: 46,260
    Forum Member
    Interesting stuff.
  • maddiesdoormaddiesdoor Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is indeed!
  • darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A fine body of women, although it's puzzling that they never demanded the right to be conscripted and sent to war when required. Probably an oversight.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's buried in my local churchyard!

They hold a service every year and it been a series of events this year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's buried in my local churchyard!

They hold a service every year and it been a series of events this year.

Really?!

It's safe to say that since doing a bit of research on her and the suffragettes, she hasn't died in vain (although obviously not as widely known by name now it's 100 years later).

I'm surprised there has never been a movie of her life or something!
  • Butterfly8588Butterfly8588 Posts: 701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What channel and time are the programmes on next week Maddie? xx
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What channel and time are the programmes on next week Maddie? xx

Hi, there are various about the suffragettes but one specifically on Emily Davison is this Sunday at 8pm on C4 :)
  • Butterfly8588Butterfly8588 Posts: 701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi, there are various about the suffragettes but one specifically on Emily Davison is this Sunday at 8pm on C4 :)

Thank you xx
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No problem, it looks an interesting watch :)
  • IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    Have booked the documentary to record.

It's impossible, to me at any rate, to understand feeling so strongly about something as to kill oneself. I look forward to hearing more.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,377
    Forum Member
    darkisland wrote: »
    A fine body of women, although it's puzzling that they never demanded the right to be conscripted and sent to war when required. Probably an oversight.

Either that or they believed that conscripting anyone at all is an unjustifiable policy
  • IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    BTW, I remember reading that the word "Suffragette" was coined by a tabloid of the day as a way of running down the cause of women's suffrage. Campaigners were "suffragists" but "-gettes" was thought to be more demeaning, in the same way as it could be used to day: "priest-ettes" "doctor-ettes" "fireman-ette". Well, kind of.
  • Bex7t6Bex7t6 Posts: 1,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Either that or they believed that conscripting anyone at all is an unjustifiable policy

I hope that was the reason.
  • wuffleswuffles Posts: 45,765
    Forum Member
    Ive read articles throw doubt on whether or not Davison intended to kill herself. One theory is that she intended to pin a badge with the WSPU's colours on the king's horse (she and her friends had been practicing catching horses in a field prior to the Derby) and that it went wrong. She also had a return train ticket in her handbag.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The suffragettes interest me so much and there's lots of upcoming documentaries coming up. One next week will be about Emily Wilding-Davison who famously killed herself at the Derby by jumping in front of a horse.

As it's 100 years there is an exhibition on in London. I would like to see some of the stuff actually, it even has Davison's scarf she was wearing that day!

http://www.parliament.uk/visiting/exhibitions-and-events/exhibitions/suffragettes/

I often wonder why they bothered.
  • zooooooooooooozooooooooooooo Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wuffles wrote: »
    Ive read articles throw doubt on whether or not Davison intended to kill herself. One theory is that she intended to pin a badge with the WSPU's colours on the king's horse (she and her friends had been practicing catching horses in a field prior to the Derby) and that it went wrong. She also had a return train ticket in her handbag.

Whatever the reason she put other people at risk by doing it, she injured the jockey, who was haunted by her death and years later killed himself. The jockey probably never had the right to vote either.
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    darkisland wrote: »

So what wars have you fought in then?
    In 1914, no one would have thought of women being at the Front, but they were there of course - driving ambulances, nursing etc Much repected at the time.
    It was a different story n the next war - you should research women in this war - they few Spitfires, parachuted behind enemy lines, took fire watch duties, drove ambulances through the blitz - the women of SOE woul be a good place to start.

As for nowadays, the women are out there in the wars. Guess what - they didn't even have to be conscripted.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems a little odd that the 'anniversary' will coincide with a comedy about these women! Still, it has Rebecca Front in it so it can't be that bad.
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whatever the reason she put other people at risk by doing it, she injured the jockey, who was haunted by her death and years later killed himself. The jockey probably never had the right to vote either.

The more I watch the footage, the more convinced I become that the jockey deliberately hit her. She stepped out right into a group of horses, all of which had no time to react but still missed her, but the third from last appears to have plenty of space and time to move, but chose not to. I suspect to "teach her a lesson"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt the jockey intended to kill her or attack her, I think in a moment like that (an unpredictable moment) you wouldn't have time to think (being the jockey I mean).
  • zooooooooooooozooooooooooooo Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supratad wrote: »
    The more I watch the footage, the more convinced I become that the jockey deliberately hit her. She stepped out right into a group of horses, all of which had no time to react but still missed her, but the third from last appears to have plenty of space and time to move, but chose not to. I suspect to "teach her a lesson"

Then you suspect wrong, no-one was to blame for that but herself. I'm sure the last thing the jockey wanted was to kill someone, put himself in hospital and not finish the race.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's this (what looks like) brilliant new book out that has been ten years in the making, by a woman who has researched extensively into Emily's story and also has met relatives of her family.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0752498029/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

I've just ordered it. There's never seen before letters and photos in too. It looks really good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really?!

It's safe to say that since doing a bit of research on her and the suffragettes, she hasn't died in vain (although obviously not as widely known by name now it's 100 years later).

I'm surprised there has never been a movie of her life or something!

Yes, she's something of a local celebrity so to speak!. The centenary is a big deal here but then we are very rural and there's not a lot else to do!

http://www.morpethherald.co.uk/lifestyle/year-of-events-mark-heroine-s-centenary-1-4485987
  • Dwight WrightDwight Wright Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the Suffragettes but there is a time and a place for documentaries about them and for me it would be in the Loose Women time segment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's this (what looks like) brilliant new book out that has been ten years in the making, by a woman who has researched extensively into Emily's story and also has met relatives of her family.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0752498029/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

I've just ordered it. There's never seen before letters and photos in too. It looks really good.

Yes, this lady is from Morpeth too and from what I've heard has done the most comprehensive research ever about her. It certainly looks like she never intended to kill herself.

http://www.morpethherald.co.uk/lifestyle/new-book-sheds-light-on-tragic-suffragette-emily-1-5698588