HD v SD

Comments

• mwardymwardy Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go back and read my post and tell me where it says that I can't tell the difference between SD and HD. [...]

Ah, OK:
    In that case there is something wrong with your dish/LNB/TV installation. On my Humax 1000S + Panasonic 42" 1080P the SD picture quality is excellent on the material transmitted by the mainstream channels. Certainly good enough that I am not interested in getting into the SD vs HD argument.

So it seems I've misinterpreted the bit in bold, for which apologies. I hope you can see it could bear that interpretation though, especially when it was followed by this post
    Faust wrote: »
    Similar set up to my own with the same results. I think the answer is clear don't you? All everyone needs is a Panasonic TV and a satellite decoder and the HD argument is redundant. :D

...when in the past Faust has said he can see no difference *at all* between SD and HD, so I think this helped me draw the wrong conclusion.
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    This pensioner has

Denon 5.1 AV system (170W/channel), Denon DVD Player, Sony BD Player, Humax Foxsat-hdr,HDR-1000s, HD Fox T2, HDR FOX T2, Topfield PVR in the study. Several free to air satellite boxes, 4 PC's, Asus HD Tablet, Nikon DSLR, Sony HD camcorder 4 TV's (all lcd). Panasonic TZ40 compact camera and a portable 1080P media player.

What modern tech have I missed out by being old ? :D

Smart phone, and games console. :p

Not a pensioner yet, but been an early adopter for most AV/tech stuff over the past 30yrs, so I wouldn't necessarily agree with those of advanced age not embracing new tech.
  • The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only argument about HD that there should be is whether it is worth paying an extra premium for.

That it is superior to SD is not even open to question, and the only the deluded or belligerent could argue with this.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    Smart phone, and games console. :p

Not a pensioner yet, but been an early adopter for most AV/tech stuff over the past 30yrs, so I wouldn't necessarily agree with those of advanced age not embracing new tech.

No smart phone but I have PS3 and Nintendo Wii. Grandson who spends a lot of time here has a hi-tech bedroom created by yours truly has a Xbox360. Also a Core I5 PC with Windows 7 64 bit and a high end graphics card built by myself and my son, plus 5.1 surround sound, He has 32" Sony smart TV at the end of his bed. Pretty well all of it is networked by cat5 cabling (self installed). I installed both my dish and a Televes DAT75 on a 20ft mast. He can stream content from my Foxsat-HDR and HDR-FOX T2 (including HD recordings)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread has concentrated on the whether HD video is worthwhile and ignored the other difference. The audio is way superior, whether in 2.0 or 5.1.

Good audio is more important than the visuals in the overall experience. Anyone using a thin TV as the audio source is missing out big time.

A thunderstorm on a LCD TV sounds like a damp squid :confused:

How many of the can't tell the difference brigade have a reasonable sound system. I suspect none of them :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good audio is more important than the visuals in the overall experience.

Ooh, critically discuss! :D

I can't agree with that outright, but you may be onto something Graham. My amp (not as flash as yours, but an Onkyo 875--handy enough) is on all the time so the videoprocessor can do its job, and I've noticed TV seems a lot less 'present' in other people's houses with their tinny speakers. Hmmm...
  • IQ1IQ1 Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    This thread has concentrated on the whether HD video is worthwhile and ignored the other difference. The audio is way superior, whether in 2.0 or 5.1.

Good audio is more important than the visuals in the overall experience. Anyone using a thin TV as the audio source is missing out big time.

A thunderstorm on a LCD TV sounds like a damp squid :confused:

How many of the can't tell the difference brigade have a reasonable sound system. I suspect none of them :D

I agree I love having my surround system cranked up with a good HD film, 65% max normally any higher and we would end up with hearing damage, nothing like feeling a movie as well as seeing it. :D (I had already mention 5.1 with some HD programmes in post #71.)

I presume the "difference brigade" wouldn't be able to hear any difference though.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    I just wish the programme makers and broadcasters paid more attention to the audio rather than as an afterthought as often appears to be the case. A common fault appears on live sports where the sound engineer seems to be someone brought up in the cloth-eared MP3 generation and doesn't know what good really sounds like.

I am with graham in the sense that I tend to notice poor audio more than I do poor video detracting from my enjoyment of a programme.
  • FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    ...when in the past Faust has said he can see no difference *at all* between SD and HD, so I think this helped me draw the wrong conclusion.

No I haven't said that either. I too can see some difference, depending on distance from source.

I carried out a small experiment last night. I recorded the SD and HD versions of Gardeners World, (a) because I love it and always record it and (b) because it's a good source with which to make a comparison.

Sitting on a chair approximately 3 feet from the 42" Plasma - SD source, then of course I could see artefacts, especially on the close ups of the Iris sibirica. Viewing same recording exactly same material in HD the picture was very good indeed, lots of detail and exactly what I would expect to see.

However, sitting so close was really uncomfortable, whatever the transmission source. Move back to my normal viewing distance of twelve feet and the two mediums have balanced each other out and for me at least I find it difficult to see much of a difference.

I never have and never would argue there isn't a difference as there is clearly more detail in the transmission. My argument is that with a good TV and a fair sitting distance HD loses it's impact.

I will agree with Graham about audio though. 5.1 from a Blu-Ray disc is something special. Try Master and Commander - When the cannon balls whistled through the air I thought the mast had spilt behind our sofa. I was ready to duck and man the lifeboat. :eek:
  • IQ1IQ1 Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    No I haven't said that either. I too can see some difference, depending on distance from source.

I carried out a small experiment last night. I recorded the SD and HD versions of Gardeners World, (a) because I love it and always record it and (b) because it's a good source with which to make a comparison.

Sitting on a chair approximately 3 feet from the 42" Plasma - SD source, then of course I could see artefacts, especially on the close ups of the Iris sibirica. Viewing same recording exactly same material in HD the picture was very good indeed, lots of detail and exactly what I would expect to see.

However, sitting so close was really uncomfortable, whatever the transmission source. Move back to my normal viewing distance of twelve feet and the two mediums have balanced each other out and for me at least I find it difficult to see much of a difference.

I never have and never would argue there isn't a difference as there is clearly more detail in the transmission. My argument is that with a good TV and a fair sitting distance HD loses it's impact.

I will agree with Graham about audio though. 5.1 from a Blu-Ray disc is something special. Try Master and Commander - When the cannon balls whistled through the air I thought the mast had spilt behind our sofa. I was ready to duck and man the lifeboat. :eek:

Only an idiot would sit and watch HD TV on a 42" 720p Plasma from "approximately 3 feet" away, what on earth were you thinking.
    Believe it or not with good eyesight and a good TV you can appreciate the superior image quality of HD from any distance, 8 feet would of been a lot better.
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    No smart phone but I have PS3 and Nintendo Wii. Grandson who spends a lot of time here has a hi-tech bedroom created by yours truly has a Xbox360. Also a Core I5 PC with Windows 7 64 bit and a high end graphics card built by myself and my son, plus 5.1 surround sound, He has 32" Sony smart TV at the end of his bed. Pretty well all of it is networked by cat5 cabling (self installed). I installed both my dish and a Televes DAT75 on a 20ft mast. He can stream content from my Foxsat-HDR and HDR-FOX T2 (including HD recordings)

My enthusiasm rubbed off on my son, they have HD and 5.1 surround, my Grandson seems to be following us both as they have a TV, sky HD, Xbox in their bedroom, they also have an ipod touch and they are only eight.

My in laws are in their late 60's/70's and they have a 42" HDTV in the main room, 26" LCD in the dinning room and a 19" LCD in the bedroom, they own two laptops and both enjoy using the internet.

My Granddaughter even has a toy mobile, she's only 10 months, and to damn cute for her own good. :D

I think it's safe to say those who embrace technology can be any age - it can just be a little harder to understand the older you get. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    mwardy wrote: »
    Ah, OK: So it seems I've misinterpreted the bit in bold, for which apologies. I hope you can see it could bear that interpretation though...

I should expand on my post to explain my comment on...
    ...the SD picture quality is excellent on the material transmitted by the mainstream channels. Certainly good enough that I am not interested in getting into the SD vs HD argument.

...IMHO the quality of content in many TV progs, as distinct from PQ or AQ, is so awful that it's hardly worth the effort to find an HD offering, and certainly not worth the energy to argue about it. I'm always pleasantly surprised when I do find an HD prog that is actually worth the watching for its content alone. These days I scan the ST TV section and plan all my recordings for the week ahead and then watch when I have the time (except when my 1000S goes t**s up and I lose all my recordings, as it has done twice).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

...when in the past Faust has said he can see no difference *at all* between SD and HD,

[...]Move back to my normal viewing distance of twelve feet and the two mediums have balanced each other out and for me at least I find it difficult to see much of a difference.

Aren't you changing your tune?
    MJD314 wrote: »
    I have a Humax Foxsat HDR (Freesat) and a Humax HDR Fox T2 (Freeview) connected to a Panasonic TV Model TX-26LXD80 using both Scart and good quality gold plated HDMI cables. I cannot see the slightest difference in the definition between SD and HD on the HDMI inputs from either machine.
    I've been harangued for years on these forums for saying much the same thing as you.

Bottom line - with a good set up and a great TV like Panasonic plus sitting the right distance away SD is the equal of HD in our household. To me it's very much the Emperors New Clothes syndrome. Neither me or the wife can tell the difference and to be quite honest most of the people I work with have now dropped the Sky HD sub having once said HD was great they now say the really can't tell the difference.

'difficult to see much of a difference' and 'cannot tell the difference' are different things! You made both of these comments in relation to your normal viewing distance.
    Forum Member
    IQ1 wrote: »
    Only an idiot would sit and watch HD TV on a 42" 720p Plasma from "approximately 3 feet" away, what on earth were you thinking.
    Believe it or not with good eyesight and a good TV you can appreciate the superior image quality of HD from any distance, 8 feet would of been a lot better.

You are working on the assumption that she who must be obeyed would let me re-jig "her lounge" to accomodate said distance. Believe me it's not going to happen, so twelve feet it is, which is where I came in on this argument i.e. SD looks more than acceptable from that distance.

The 3 feet distance was simply so I could compare the artefacts with SD against an HD source. Of course I wouldn't sit at that distance through choice.
    Forum Member
    I should expand on my post to explain my comment on...

...IMHO the quality of content in many TV progs, as distinct from PQ or AQ, is so awful that it's hardly worth the effort to find an HD offering, and certainly not worth the energy to argue about it. I'm always pleasantly surprised when I do find an HD prog that is actually worth the watching for its content alone. These days I scan the ST TV section and plan all my recordings for the week ahead and then watch when I have the time (except when my 1000S goes t**s up and I lose all my recordings, as it has done twice).

Could I recommend Hebrides Islands on the Edge as a feast for the eyes and the soul. Only available on Scottish TV and iPlayer.
    Forum Member
    Aren't you changing your tune?

'difficult to see much of a difference' and 'cannot tell the difference' are different things! You made both of these comments in relation to your normal viewing distance.

I also said it does depend on what the source is, and said so in this thread. Please don't cherry pick. It's a fine line between cannot and can see "some" difference.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also said it does depend on what the source is, and said so in this thread. Please don't cherry pick. It's a fine line between cannot and can see "some" difference.

I said you had said you couldn't see any difference (implicitly, at your normal viewing distance) and I gave some quotes to prove it. I only did this because you disavowed any such statement and I don't like false accusations. :)

Your skepticism seems total most of the time. Comparing HD to the Emperor's new clothes obviously implies it's a complete illusion. You said that people who claim to be able to see more detail than you are imagining it, that the human eye can (in a total failure to grasp the technicalities) fill in missing detail, and that one person who claimed better ability to see pixels than you was a salesperson's wet dream. With the odd rolleyes thrown in as well. Seems pretty clear.

But you aren't consistent. You've also said
    The difference to me at any distance is minimal, it simply isn't an issue.

and

Oh. :confused: And

Last night I accidentally selected the BBC HD channel on the 1000s - wow! what a difference. For the first time ever I really can see a marked difference between the SD and HD feed. My Pace Sky+HD box never looked like this.

though
    the HDR1000s does do a better job with HD. However, such gems have proved to be few and far between and have mostly been foreign imports.

...with this latter claim striking me as bizarre: while it has its faults, BBC HD is remarkably consistent across most (I agree not all) dramas, which I presume is what you had in mind with foreign imports.

So...it's actually very difficult to know just what you are claiming, and I'm about to give up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Episode 1 of the much vaunted White Queen is transmitted in 2.0 stereo. The excellent Tudors was 5.1 and superb audio.
    Forum Member
    I said you had said you couldn't see any difference (implicitly, at your normal viewing distance) and I gave some quotes to prove it. I only did this because you disavowed any such statement and I don't like false accusations. :)

Your skepticism seems total most of the time. Comparing HD to the Emperor's new clothes obviously implies it's a complete illusion. You said that people who claim to be able to see more detail than you are imagining it, that the human eye can (in a total failure to grasp the technicalities) fill in missing detail, and that one person who claimed better ability to see pixels than you was a salesperson's wet dream. With the odd rolleyes thrown in as well. Seems pretty clear.

But you aren't consistent. You've also said

and

Oh. :confused: And

though

...with this latter claim striking me as bizarre: while it has its faults, BBC HD is remarkably consistent across most (I agree not all) dramas, which I presume is what you had in mind with foreign imports.

So...it's actually very difficult to know just what you are claiming, and I'm about to give up.

You can chew your gums on this issue all you want but my stance is and always has been the same i.e. the further away you sit from the source the less benefit you will get from selecting HD. You will benefit from the audio if you have a proper sound system. Add to this that some quality brand TV's do a very good job with SD, especially the five main terrestrial channels, which is 95% of my viewing. My own view is that Plasma does a better job with SD than LCD (I have both technologies). Furthermore, most SD broadcasts will look more than acceptable viewed from the distance my sofa is located from the TV i.e. 12 feet.

Hopefully you will no longer be confused. :yawn:
    Forum Member
    Episode 1 of the much vaunted White Queen is transmitted in 2.0 stereo. The excellent Tudors was 5.1 and superb audio.

You'd have done much better to watch Professor Iain Stuart on BBC 2.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'd have done much better to watch Professor Iain Stuart on BBC 2.

No chance :D - better half is a massive fan of the novels.
  • 2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Move back to my normal viewing distance of twelve feet and the two mediums have balanced each other out and for me at least I find it difficult to see much of a difference.
    A normal human eye should be able to see some difference between pristine SD and pristine HD 14.5 feet from your screen. Broadcast SD is far from pristine, making the difference more obvious. You might not care about it, but the difference should be easily visible at 12 feet.

You'd need to be 8 feet away to fully appreciate your 720p display. 3 feet away is insane - the faults of 1080p would be clearly visible at this distance (if your TV displayed it)!

A normal person would be impressed by how much better 720p is than SD when sitting 12 feet away from a 60" display. Any smaller display at that distance and it starts to lose its impact - but you'd have to go below 36" before SD could be considered good enough to dump HD.

If this isn't your experience, it's either a problem with your eyes, your TV, some setting/connection is wrong, or you don't care.

However, a couple of lines difference in visual acuity as measured on a typical eye chart equates with needing a foot larger or smaller TV (or sitting several feet closer or further way) to make the difference invisible vs obvious - so you can easily think you have "normal" eyesight, but "need" a TV twice the size as someone else who also thinks they are "normal".

Cheers,
    David.
    Forum Member
    No chance :D - better half is a massive fan of the novels.

Iain Stuart repeated tonight BBC 2, 23.30. Novels, Tudor's more like soft porn. :D
    Forum Member
    2Bdecided wrote......You'd need to be 8 feet away to fully appreciate your 720p display

Well there are varying measurements for this depending on what calculator/expert you read. The consensus appears to be 5.5 feet to make it immersive with 8.5 being the outer limit. To sit where I sit i.e. 12 feet the recommendation is at least 60". The general consensus again being I will not be getting any benefit from HD with a 42" set at 12 feet. Therefore I appear to be at one with the experts.
    If this isn't your experience, it's either a problem with your eyes, your TV, some setting/connection is wrong, or you don't care.

It is true I really don't care. My optician has recently given me a clean bill of health. TV as said before professionally calibrated plus a reasonable quality Plasma. You also appear fond of using the term "normal". All the reading suggests there is no such thing as normal when it comes to how we view and perceive our world so I think we can discount that reference also.

Because both HD and SD look about the same from 12 feet - for me, doesn't make me normal or abnormal or the PQ good or bad. Does it make my HD picture bad that viewed at distance HD and SD look almost the same or does it mean I have a very good SD picture? It could simply mean I need a 60" TV, though I have to say I won't be getting one any time soon. :eek:

Many of these things are subjective and cannot be easily quantified.
  • 2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the reading suggests there is no such thing as normal when it comes to how we view and perceive our world so I think we can discount that reference also.
    On the contrary, performance across the human world is often a Gaussian distribution, so Normal is a perfect word ;) (maths joke there).

Recommended HD viewing distance of 3 * picture height ties in with human visual acuity of 1 arcminute. You can make biological+technical arguments to double or halve the value, which makes it all a bit pointless.

Some in the industry are loathed to quote accurate figures, because it means you need a big TV to really appreciate HD in a reasonably large room - and then broadcast SD becomes unwatchable. As long as you're happy. ;)

Cheers,
    David.