Options

Shows where a secondary character has become more popular than the Star???

Comments

• Options
    I love EllieI love Ellie Posts: 8,009
    Forum Member
    Northern Exposure.

Rob Morrow, the Jewish New York doctor was the star, but I reckon he was always eclipsed by the laid back, philosophical Chris In The Morning, played by John Corbett.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gerry d wrote: »
    Dad's Army - Even though Mainwaring (Arthur Lowe) was the main character.I always felt that Lance-Corporal Jones (Clive Dunn) was really the star of the show.He always got the funny lines & was involved in most of the mishaps.

Are You Being Served? - I don't know if Mr Humphries (John Inman) was meant to be the star of the show.But i thought between series 1 -7 Mr Lucas (Trevor Bannister) stole the show.

in the original casting of Dad's Army John Le Mesurier was going to play Mainwaring and Arthur Lowe Sgt Wilson but it was changed shortly before they recorded the first episode in 1968.
  • Options
    pxd867pxd867 Posts: 11,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Grimleys - Gordon Grimley was meant to be the main star, but the bullying PE Teacher (played by Brian Conley) is far more memorable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cybill - Cybill's mate, played by Christine Baranski, always outshone Cybill (much to her annoyance, apparently:D)

Yes & from reading Cybil's biography she & Baranski didn't get on at all, which I have always thought is very sad as they were so good together.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes & from reading Cybil's biography she & Baranski didn't get on at all, which I have always thought is very sad as they were so good together.

True, but Barinski is a far better actor and comedian than Cybil.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Reaper The Devil (Ray Wise) was far more popular that the titular lead character
  • Options
    Mo from t'marketMo from t'market Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the Buses – I would say Blakey ("I 'ate you Butler!") became more popular than Reg Varney’s character.
  • Options
    moomin123moomin123 Posts: 2,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Northern Exposure.

Rob Morrow, the Jewish New York doctor was the star, but I reckon he was always eclipsed by the laid back, philosophical Chris In The Morning, played by John Corbett.

I loved Northern Exposure and all the characters, but Chris In the Morning was always my favourite. :)

In the latest BBC Robin Hood - Guy was much more popular than Robin.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Darlene was always my favourite in Roseanne - but I'm not sure if that was just me!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 457
    Forum Member
    moomin123 wrote: »
    Darlene was always my favourite in Roseanne - but I'm not sure if that was just me!

Me too but I thought Roseanne's sister Jackie was brilliant - especially in the later seasons.
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sooty Show.

Sooty was the main puppet but Sweep became the legend. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too but I thought Roseanne's sister Jackie was brilliant - especially in the later seasons.

Oh yeah! Forgot about Jackie, she could be hilarious! Loved it when she was in 'cop' mode.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I agree, she was brilliant, but only in the earlier eps. Later on, she fell prey to the 'Joey' syndrome of being made just too wacky to be beleivable any more.
  • Options
    FuzzyDunlop82FuzzyDunlop82 Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    I find that the stars who have an 'and...' in front of them during the opening credits/titles will usually steal the show;

These include, I believe;

Alec Baldwin in 30 Rock.

George Alexander in Seinfeld.

Jeffery Tambor in Arrested Development.

Martin Sheen in The West Wing.
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if this one counts as AFAIK it was due to actor inavailability - Blake's 7, with Blake being replaced by Avon as the main character.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lost.
    Matthew Fox was the lead and billed as the star and big name of the show, but it is generally thought that Josh Holloway was the breakout star of the show.

HIs face and image as Sawyer was used more times, after the first season, to promote Lost than any other character, and bosses admitted Sawyer was untouchable and if Josh ever quit it would be a disaster for them.

In the second season of Lost they held back a Sawyer episode, which was meant to be the first of the second season, so it he didn't over shadow Jack as lead even then.

Sawyer was voted the worst character and wanted killed off by viewers, when the bosses took a poll during the beginning of the first season, by the end of it, Sawyer was included in the most popular characters of the decade.

I know polls don't mean much these days but that was quite a big one.
  • Options
    pxd867pxd867 Posts: 11,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Knight Rider - Although David Hasselhoff became a legend off the back of it, the real star to many was Kitt.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    The Sooty Show.

Absolutely. Plus Why Bird totally upstaged the Play Bus
  • Options
    ChapwithwingsChapwithwings Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    The Sooty Show.

You knew you had watched the show too much when you actually knew what Sweep was saying. :o
  • Options
    jesaminejesamine Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    I think Charlie's Angels was supposed to feature Kate Jackson (Sabrina) as the star, supported by Farrah Fawcett and Jaclyn Smith. The other Angels soon equalled (in Farrah's case, probably exceeded) her in popularity.
  • Options
    kempshottkempshott Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    <delete - already mentioned>
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Taggart the only series we know where the main character died and the series carried on without him/her (I am excluding the original Dr Who because that was part of the story)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    moomin123 wrote: »
    I loved Northern Exposure and all the characters, but Chris In the Morning was always my favourite. :)

In the latest BBC Robin Hood - Guy was much more popular than Robin.

I found Chris more than a little annoying by the end, though I liked him in the earlier seasons.

Even though I only watched bits of Robin Hood, I think we all know why Guy was more liked than Robin. TPTB made him a more interesting character, and it didn't hurt that Richard Armitage looked good in leather.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, but I think that was the idea from the start. The supporting members always had the best lines, most laughs. Actually Jerry was quite dull, almost playing the straight man ?

With the Kramer thing you could tell it most in quite a few Series 4 episodes whenever he walked in the scene he'd often get applauded for quite sometime, it carried on for most of that season until Larry David told the audience to stop, not that it wasn't appreciated, but that it took up some filming time.

Even though it was titled Seinfeld, it was always much about the main 4, it had such a strong cast, even though it was known that Seinfeld himself wasn't a good actor.

On the same theme what about Curb Your Enthusiasm even though Larry David is the lead role, in some episodes Jeff can steal the scene, as did Leon in the Series 6/7 episodes.
  • Options
    dudiusdudius Posts: 469
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    Reaper The Devil (Ray Wise) was far more popular that the titular lead character

As was Sock (Tyler Labine), but by a different crowd, I assume.