Options

Any tips on managing dermatis in the elderly?

PhoenixblissPhoenixbliss Posts: 9,478
Forum Member
We have a good steroid cream but need lifestyle tips so we can minimise the use of this cream.

I have switched to simple and unfragranced soaps for example but not using wooly jumpers which irritate is a problem as the cold sets in and we have boxes of woolen jumpers and cant replace a whole wardrobe of stuff

Comments

• Options
    MintMint Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wear long-sleeved t-shirts or thermals underneath the jumpers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Heating tricky too--house too hot the rash appears-too little they get a chest infection through the cold.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If wool jumpers are an irritant then you will have to come up with a solution. I am allergic to wool and it is awful. A lot of the stores do warm cotton sweatshirts and you don't have to buy loads. I do appreciate the need to economise but when wool is an irritant it can be very nasty.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But isnt cotton 100% the only thing guaranteed not to cause a dermattis flare up?I cant see cotton being warm enough
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But isnt cotton 100% the only thing guaranteed not to cause a dermattis flare up?I cant see cotton being warm enough

A T-shirt with a sweatshirt on top is normally nice and warm. Layers are much better in any case for keeping warm. I can't wear wool but find that BHS and Marks sweatshirts are fine. Trying to make do with wool is just going to make the person very uncomfortable.

Have your asked the practice nurse for some advice?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    Use a pressure-sore cushion. This enables appropriate blood flow and prevents over-heating. I know it sounds inappropriate, but please try it.

Also, E45 bathing wash in a lukewarm bath does wonders. I only know this because of my experience as an older person's carer - it may be different for other circumstances.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Whats a good setting for the heating to be on constant overnight in the winter but without overheating and flaring the dermattis but warm enough?

I will certainly buy the E45 bath oil?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Are dermol and E45 equally as good?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    Dermol is fab, where I worked we used E45 for some, as it had better results - it just depends on the person and their skin.I wouldn't be too confident on correct setting - perhaps 15 degs? That should keep a house warm but not too hot... although perhaps put the timer on so it turns off between bedtime hr before and wake - up? Because if you're under the covers it can become too warm if heating is on.
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can get some amazing fleeces that are way better than any wool jumper for warmth - OH, Mum and Nan only wear fleeces now - no wool. I still like my wool but have fleece blankies - and my Lanolin intolerant dog loves her fleeces. Plus Fleeces are cheap.

Heat - try to keep the heat on all the time with radiator thermostats (TRVs) - inexpensive (£12? each) to buy, easy(ish) to fit. Keep a constant comfortable 21 degrees (or there abouts) dropping to 16 degrees at night/in the bedrooms.

Skin - E45 has a good range of skin care products including emollients at a good price. Rather than steroids, would anti-histamines be a potential solution? I get some patches of suspected eczema on my bum when I ovulate - no where near what your relative is suffering I dare say - but a Piriton and some sudocreme works wonders - as does keeping the skin clean, dry but emolliated.