Utopia, C4&HD, 10pm, 15-22-29 Jan 5-12 Feb

Comments

• TOFFEEMAN1878TOFFEEMAN1878 Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    They would find me in 52hours, that is if they knew my local Council which it does not recognise!
  • TOFFEEMAN1878TOFFEEMAN1878 Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    Why is it not available on 4OD? I can't watch the rest of the series if I've missed the first one :(

It is !
  • elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "this is too clever for it's own good"
    Nah! I gave it about 12 minutes on Four seven before thinking "if the people who made this are too stupid to make the floating messages big enough to read..." (with an ordinary TV and eyesight, and I'm quite happy to watch subtitled quality drama like Borgen) then I don't think I'll bother. Maybe the content of the messages is important, maybe not. Should I assume it can't be?

And the dialogue put me off.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite possibly the best thing I've ever seen on television. The American studios spent million of dollars attempting this kind of thing, yet look tiny in comparison.

Creepy, dystopian mind-f*ck, with abstract plotting - like Eraserhead turned into a hallucinatory crime thriller, swathed in darkened primary colours. What isn't there to like?

Mind you, that torture scene will probably give me nightmares.
  • AvillerAviller Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    I guess you have to be high to appreciate it. The writers certainly were.
  • Brain DonorBrain Donor Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    Quite possibly the best thing I've ever seen on television. The American studios spent million of dollars attempting this kind of thing, yet look tiny in comparison.

Creepy, dystopian mind-f*ck, with abstract plotting - like Eraserhead turned into a hallucinatory crime thriller, swathed in darkened primary colours. What isn't there to like?

Did you read my mind?

I've just got around to watching it and I think it's bloody AMAZING! Very PK Dick-ish. It's one of the best things I've seen on telly in a very long time.

That sex scene :D

That torture scene :eek:

I hope it can keep the standards up to this one over the rest of the story.

Series link set.
  • Brain DonorBrain Donor Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is !

It wasn't when I asked, though.
  • QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »

OMG, the torture scene had me running to my kitchen. I could still hear what was going on, but I just couldn't watch (but, mind you, I'm the sort of person who can't even watch You've Been Framed because I don't like watching people getting hurt).
    I'll still watch the series though.
  • CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The torture scene didn't affect me at all, I liked the warning before it came back from the ad break though, made me expect something.
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I changed channel for few minutes when the torture scene came on - LOL

Compulsive viewing though, hope the rest of the series can live up to the premier.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The previously mentioned plot holes are certainly valid but also interesting. Did you notice the way in which one of the hit men deliberately walked through the pool of blood on the floor of the video store? Perhaps they feel that their connections are so high up that they feel no need to attempt a cover up. Then why go to all the trouble with the gas? Perhaps it really was some kind of knock-out gas rather than poisonous. Didn't one of them open a gas tap before leaving? Whatever the answer, the entire thing is the prefect recreation of your worst nightmare. Perhaps that's a clue.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very clever very slick show. Really enjoyed it and great that Channel 4 are doing something you have to actually watch and absorb. Anyone scan the picture on the wall in Bejans flat?
  • enna_genna_g Posts: 2,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got bored and turned it off. After reading the comments here I am glad I did as I missed what seemed to be an extremely gross torture scene. I won't bother to watch again. I usually like these intriguing stories but this seemed to be trying too hard to be different.
  • Molly HuntMolly Hunt Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They would find me in 52hours, that is if they knew my local Council which it does not recognise!

My local council is only the 2nd biggest in England but not recognised by C4, and it would take them 55 hours to find me.

I 'closed' as they quaintly call it - turned off in disgust is more like it!

[Loved the actual programme tho']
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daniel9624 wrote: »
    Very clever very slick show. Really enjoyed it and great that Channel 4 are doing something you have to actually watch and absorb. Anyone scan the picture on the wall in Bejans flat?
    The best I've seen on Channel 4 since Max Headroom. That's the original British drama I'm talking about, not the spin-offs.
  • ErlangErlang Posts: 6,619
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed it, right up my alley.

Quirky, funny, creepy, not mainstream.

Re: someones query about why the civil servant had weird dialogue exchange about mission with two executives, then rewatch (listen) to previous blackmail phonecall.
  • UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know the music used at the very start with the rabbit costume/title card, was it a piece of actual music already out there or was it score music made for the series.
  • Jack_OJack_O Posts: 991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting drama, going to give it until the end of the series. Started slow and confusing, but made sense in parts and got pretty good towards the end.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reminded me slightly of 20th century boys, another conspiracy thriller involving a mysterious graphic novel.
  • Colino GreenColino Green Posts: 575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OMG, the torture scene had me running to my kitchen. I could still hear what was going on, but I just couldn't watch (but, mind you, I'm the sort of person who can't even watch You've Been Framed because I don't like watching people getting hurt).
    I'll still watch the series though.

Poor Wilson Wilson couldn't watch either, afterwards..... for ever!

I'm here all week.....
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mr muggles wrote: »
    Well, that kept me glued. Love the length too, hope they all go past the hour mark.

The next episode is 10 - 11:10 p.m. so shorter than the first, not sure exactly how many minutes long it would come to without the ads.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just watched part one, very good esp by the standards of Channel 4 these days!

Its the best looking drama series in some time with (shock horror!) crisp vibrant colour with well balanced use of strong tones, none of that horrible milky nonsense that BBC dramas are bathed in these days. The "pepper, sand, bleach, spoon" scene was no big deal to this veteran of horror flicks and King Lear, dunno what the fuss was about to be honest, the scene was shot to show just enough not too much I thought.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »
    The next episode is 10 - 11:10 p.m. so shorter than the first, not sure exactly how many minutes long it would come to without the ads.

I watched the first one on 4OD and it was exactly 1:00:10 without ads so a bit longer than a BBC 1 hour programme.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    Superb first episode - great seeing Neil Maskell and Michael Smiley together again (albeit for a short period!).

The best character for me is/was the 'bequiffed' torturer, played by Paul Ready...hope he reappears!
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The best character for me is/was the 'bequiffed' torturer, played by Paul Ready...hope he reappears!

Joey Barton moonlighting I thought!