No Movie for Autism Awareness Day?

FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
Forum Member
✭✭
I would of liked to have seen a autistic movie on TV to mark this special day, and to help raise awareness - there is a few to choose from that have never been on UK as far as I remember..

There doesn't much on TV about it..

Comments

• Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    FusionFury wrote: »
    I would of liked to have seen a autistic movie on TV to mark this special day, and to help raise awareness - there is a few to choose from that have never been on UK as far as I remember..

Just out of interest, what does constitute an autistic movie?
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

like what ?

don't movies tend to misrepresent Autism ?

• koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just out of interest, what does constitute an autistic movie?

Adam
    Mozart and The Whale.
    BenX
    Temple Grandin.

To name a few.
    Forum Member
    Adam
    Mozart and The Whale.
    BenX
    Temple Grandin.

To name a few.

Hmm, I suspect that you're actually naming all of them there.:D

Can't say I've heard of any of them.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

To be fair, almost every day is 'Something Awareness Day', just people aren't, um, aware of it unless the specific interest groups shout about it. I certainly didn't know. To be fairer, I don't think any of these days tend to have films about them on TV. There's always The Big Bang Theory though. On E4 most days. ;-)

Hey, this'd make a great game in the movie games forum. Pick a day, name the film that should be on ! :p
    Adam
    Mozart and The Whale.
    BenX
    Temple Grandin.

To name a few.
    That's been on Sky Atlantic a few times. OP must have missed it.
    Hmm, I suspect that you're actually naming all of them there.:D
    What did Rainman have?
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mysterious Creatures

Mary and Max
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    To be fair, almost every day is 'Something Awareness Day', just people aren't, um, aware of it unless the specific interest groups shout about it. I certainly didn't know. To be fairer, I don't think any of these days tend to have films about them on TV. There's always The Big Bang Theory though. On E4 most days. ;-)

Hey, this'd make a great game in the movie games forum. Pick a day, name the film that should be on ! :p

That's been on Sky Atlantic a few times. OP must have missed it.

What did Rainman have?

Oh oh.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The twisted nerve....but that's not really appropriate.
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every day is awareness of yet another "issue" that is all of a sudden in fashion. I often suspect that many days have more than one "issue" that needs a full compliment of coloured wrist bands and aspirational pepsi adverts to compliment it.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say Saga from the bridge is easily the best portrayal of an autistic character on screen.

Didn't like the ending of Adam, which essentially said autistic people must become more "normal" for others to accept them.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    March was Cerebral Palsy Awareness Month, there wasn't a CP-related film on either.

8-24th May is National Epilepsy week, I doubt we will see much film-related epilepsy.

There is a National day for everything, a week, a month, International days, etc. All fantastic to raise awareness for and about the various issues, but you don't see films about them on TV generally (fiction or otherwise).

Why autism specifically? Not a criticism, but presumably it's something close to your heart (as CP and epilepsy are to mine :))
    Forum Member
    gashead wrote: »
    What did Rainman have?

I thought that the reason koantemplation specifically didn't name that film was because it wasn't an autistic film but one featuring an autistic character.
  • Kat_12Kat_12 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raymond Babbitt was the name of the character in Rain Man. He wasn't called Rainman like some superhero.

He was autistic, but he was based on Kim Peek, who is thought to have had something called FG Syndrome, which is a chromosomal disorder not linked to autism.

I agree it's not practical to have a film for every "awareness" day, but tbh so many film featuring particular illnesses/conditions/issues so deeply misrepresent them as to essentially decrease awareness.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    Most films to do with various conditions like autism tend to me films made for TV and are often really bad or cringe worthy with how sentimental they are.
  • big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would this have been a good idea? A great deal of media coverage regarding the Autistic Spectrum is not helpful, badly researched and factually incorrect.