Options

which celebrity disappointed you when you met them for the first time?

Comments

• Options
    NorwoodCemeteryNorwoodCemetery Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All three were much the same. They arrived by train which was just around the corner from the petrol station and they laid on a horse and cart for then to ride on and arrive in style. They didn't crack their faces once or wave or addressed the crowd in any way. The only time they smiled was a big false one when posing for the local photographer. As soon as that was done their faces dropped again and off they went in the horse and cart, round the corner to the train station.

It seems to be usual that people who do comedy are not very funny at all in real life.
    Between 2009-2012 I lived in a part of London where I frequently saw Alastair McGowan in my local supermarket, on buses etc (I'm assuming based on frequency that he must have lived in my area; never looked it up) and he was as miserable as they come.

I do cut comedians some slack because no doubt every man and his dog wants them to do a funny in public; however, although anecdotal, it is amazing how often people make the observation about comedians appearing dull/unapproachable in real life.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Met Ian Watkins back in 07. I was at the Kerrang awards and lostprophets won an award we chatted, I congratulated him and gave him a hug. Makes my skin crawl thinking about it now.
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Between 2009-2012 I lived in a part of London where I frequently saw Alastair McGowan in my local supermarket, on buses etc (I'm assuming based on frequency that he must have lived in my area; never looked it up) and he was as miserable as they come.

I do cut comedians some slack because no doubt every man and his dog wants them to do a funny in public; however, although anecdotal, it is amazing how often people make the observation about comedians appearing dull/unapproachable in real life.

It is probably because every time he is "on" he does his act. I don't know why shows like The One Show invite him on, he just showcases his act rather than being interviewed. He is probably knackered when he is not in front of audience/in front of a camera because he has used up all his energy pretending to be someone else all the time. I think impressionists are strange people. They spend a lot of their lives being somebody else.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both during the 1990s so please consider the possibility they may have changed for better since:

Female: Victoria Smurfit. The walking definition of a spoiled brat.
    Male: Jeremy Northam. Sleazy manipulative creep.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dom Jolly, very rude.
  • Options
    JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    I can confirm that Bill Oddie is a 'twunt of the highest order' as stated above. Insufferably rude.

Mel B. A right old harridan.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JT2060 wrote: »
    I can confirm that Bill Oddie is a 'twunt of the highest order' as stated above. Insufferably rude..

Not to excuse it but apparently he has quite severe bipolar disorder so has more 'off' days than not.
  • Options
    dee-recdee-rec Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Decades ago the "Goodies" came to open a local petrol station in my town and boy they didn't want to be there and showed it! Shouldn't take a fee if you are not going to put the effort in and have a face like a slapped fish.

I read that as the Geordies came to open the petrol station and thought you meant Ant n Dec, quite relieved to hear it wasn't them, I don't like to think of them as being miserable!
  • Options
    Vix77Vix77 Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gregor Fisher (Rab C Nesbit) only because when he called into the hotel I worked at he wasn't wearing a dirty string vest and he wasn't pissed.. I was very disappointed :)

Seemed like a nice guy actually
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vix77 wrote: »
    Gregor Fisher (Rab C Nesbit) only because when he called into the hotel I worked at he wasn't wearing a dirty string vest and he wasn't pissed.. I was very disappointed :)

:D:D:D
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really on subject, but as a black cab driver in London, I picked up my share of "celebs."
    I'm quite blasé, to me everyone's the same, Joe Soap or soap star, get them in, get them where they want to go, and get what is on the meter, thank them, then go look for the next job.
    Sometimes though, you remember jobs for no outstanding reason.
    Picked up J. Savile one day at Euston station, he went to a road off Fitzjohns Avenue, Hampstead, sat in the back as miserable as sin, then gave me the exact fare when he got out.
    It never bothered me whether people tipped or not, but you kind of think that someone who is loaded might give you 20 pence maybe.
    Jonathan Ross, pleaded for a few blank receipts, like he's desperate to please his accountant, and by extension the tax man.
    Conversely, the nicest celeb that I remember was Joanna Lumley.
    The landlady of my local was a "ringer" for Patsy in AbFab, and I told this to Ms. Lumley once.
    She asked me for her name, and the address of the pub.
    A few days later an envelope arrived at the pub, with a photo of Ms. Lumley as Patsy, signed, "To Jane, from one Patsy to another."
    That was a nice touch I thought.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Picked up J. Savile one day at Euston station, he went to a road off Fitzjohns Avenue, Hampstead, sat in the back as miserable as sin, then gave me the exact fare when he got out.

Did he smell? I've heard lots of references to his smelling like he didn't wash.
  • Options
    ChocolateCheeseChocolateCheese Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan Titchmarsh.
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did he smell? I've heard lots of references to his smelling like he didn't wash.

If he did I don't recall it, but he looked very "soapy", like Catweazle.
  • Options
    ChocolateCheeseChocolateCheese Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he did I don't recall it, but he looked very "soapy", like Catweazle.

A lot of people in general used to though back in the 60s and 70s didn't they?
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    Dom Jolly, very rude.

Yes but to be fair he come across as an arrogant f***er in every interview I've seen of him as well.

Typical **** who thinks everyone should find him funny when he does something at their expense but doesn't work the other way around.
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    Conversely, the nicest celeb that I remember was Joanna Lumley.
    The landlady of my local was a "ringer" for Patsy in AbFab, and I told this to Ms. Lumley once.
    She asked me for her name, and the address of the pub.
    A few days later an envelope arrived at the pub, with a photo of Ms. Lumley as Patsy, signed, "To Jane, from one Patsy to another."
    That was a nice touch I thought.

Nice to hear that about Joanna Lumley as she is someone I've always liked and seems very genuine. Love to meet her one day.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,273
    Forum Member
    Lynne McGranger and Ray Meagher were very nice people.
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Very briefly met the Beckhams. I wasn't familiar enough with her to have any preconceptions but she seemed quite miserable and 'off'.
  • Options
    2-Pot Screamer2-Pot Screamer Posts: 34,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not 'disappointed' exactly, but actor Brian Glover seemed very subdued and rather shy when I met him in the course of my work in the mid-90s. It was early in the day though, so perhaps he just wasn't a 'morning' person.

Bless 'im, and RIP Brian.
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm going to post here as I have only ever met one celebrity :D

It was Michael Wood (the historian) and he was great.

Sorry it's not a negative experience but it's my only one.
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    I did meet Giant Haystacks - top bloke. But some of the wrestling 'goodies' were pretty dour and miserable. As a kid I found that quite baffling.
  • Options
    TommyNookaTommyNooka Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All three were much the same. They arrived by train which was just around the corner from the petrol station and they laid on a horse and cart for then to ride on and arrive in style. They didn't crack their faces once or wave or addressed the crowd in any way. The only time they smiled was a big false one when posing for the local photographer. As soon as that was done their faces dropped again and off they went in the horse and cart, round the corner to the train station.

It seems to be usual that people who do comedy are not very funny at all in real life.

I met Mark Thomas and found out his 'angry' stage persona isn't a stage persona.
    An absolute walloper of a man!
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (Very) minor celebrity Mike "squeaky" McLean was an arrogant tosser when I encountered him many years ago. His other half wasn't much better either
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    Vix77 wrote: »

Gregor Fisher stays (or used to anyway) round my neck of the woods and he used to shop in my local supermarket. He always had a smile and a nod for anyone who recognised him. When I worked in a solicitors office he phoned once asking about a rather posh property we were selling and he was lovely on the phone - very well spoken as well, which was a surprise 😁

My father in law, on the other hand, met him years ago on some job he was doing for a well to do local golf club and said he was a right arse! Maybe he was having an off day!