Wogan: The Best Of, BBC 2

2»

Comments

• dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    A new series started on BBC 2 this afternoon where Terry Wogan looks back at his talk show with his favourite and best clips, interesting to watch has it went out live and some of clips probably haven't been seen since they aired. Today's episode featured Audrey Hepburn, and Mel Brooks. If you're a fan of the BBC's talking pictures series you'll probably like this, every afternoon for the next three weeks

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05n8zwd

The first five episodes are looking back at

Oscar winners
    Odd
    Funny
    Leading Ladies
    Best Of British

Saw Les on the show but turned off right away because of those black bars on the screen. I know some channels will have it how it looked like challenge do but how BBC aired it was just off putting.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Bruce Forsyth segment from 1982 must have been from when 'Wogan' was broadcast on a Saturday night. I had forgotten he started off in the evenings.

Bruce Forsyth used to host 'Wogan' .... I wonder if we'll see any interviews from the guest hosts. Sue Lawley was always covering.
  • dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    The Bruce Forsyth segment from 1982 must have been from when 'Wogan' was broadcast on a Saturday night. I had forgotten he started off in the evenings.

Bruce Forsyth used to host 'Wogan' .... I wonder if we'll see any interviews from the guest hosts. Sue Lawley was always covering.

So did Kenneth Williams which I so wish I could see a copy of him presenting the show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So did Kenneth Williams which I so wish I could see a copy of him presenting the show.

Yes, another one I had forgotten. I'd love to see that too.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gloria hunniford did too
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gloria hunniford did too

Not too keen to see any of those. :o
  • davadsdavads Posts: 8,638
    Forum Member
    The Bruce Forsyth segment from 1982 must have been from when 'Wogan' was broadcast on a Saturday night.

I think the Cilla clip was too. I think it was that appearance on Wogan that put her back in the public consciousness after a few quiet years, and led to her getting Blind Date.

They've also been showing clips from Terry's late night Friday series (which came after the thrice-weekly show ended), such as the Steve Coogan one where you could see Frank Skinner in the background; he was Terry's weekly comedy sidekick on that series.

I hope they show a clip from when James Harries was on that series, all dicky-bowed up alongside a typically scruffy Nigel Kennedy, when I recall Skinner quipped that James looked like he should be the violinist and Nigel the antique dealer... :)
  • TheWayItIsTheWayItIs Posts: 4,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The initial Wogan series, which featured a newly-thatched Bruce Forsyth on the first edition, was broadcast on a weeknight - one month after Parkinson concluded his initial 11 year Saturday night stint.
    The following two series which proceeded the 1985 thrice-weekly shows were shown, aired in the old Parkinson slot of late night Saturdays.

davads is correct with regard to Cilla Black who'd been somewhat fallow at the time, in that her '80's renaissance stemmed from a fine chat show appearance in much the same way as one on Parkinson around 1980 was of benefit to Jimmy Tarbuck.
  • Dennis CDennis C Posts: 1,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are these new compilations shows of Wogan or the ones he did for UK Gold a few years ago now? [They also did a series with Jimmy Saville looking back on old Jim'll Fix Its, tho' I doubt that will resurface now in any shape or form]
    Forum Member
    Dennis C wrote: »
    Are these new compilations shows of Wogan or the ones he did for UK Gold a few years ago now? [They also did a series with Jimmy Saville looking back on old Jim'll Fix Its, tho' I doubt that will resurface now in any shape or form]

They're noo.
  • topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know If anyone here watches Graham Norton Show, Bill Murray was on there talking about his appearance on Wogan.

I wonder if they will show it, they could have put him in the odd category.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    davads wrote: »
    I think the Cilla clip was too. I think it was that appearance on Wogan that put her back in the public consciousness after a few quiet years, and led to her getting Blind Date.

They've also been showing clips from Terry's late night Friday series (which came after the thrice-weekly show ended), such as the Steve Coogan one where you could see Frank Skinner in the background; he was Terry's weekly comedy sidekick on that series.

I hope they show a clip from when James Harries was on that series, all dicky-bowed up alongside a typically scruffy Nigel Kennedy, when I recall Skinner quipped that James looked like he should be the violinist and Nigel the antique dealer... :)
    TheWayItIs wrote: »
    The initial Wogan series, which featured a newly-thatched Bruce Forsyth on the first edition, was broadcast on a weeknight - one month after Parkinson concluded his initial 11 year Saturday night stint.
    The following two series which proceeded the 1985 thrice-weekly shows were shown, aired in the old Parkinson slot of late night Saturdays.

davads is correct with regard to Cilla Black who'd been somewhat fallow at the time, in that her '80's renaissance stemmed from a fine chat show appearance in much the same way as one on Parkinson around 1980 was of benefit to Jimmy Tarbuck.

Thanks for all the background information. :) I find all of this stuff very interesting. :)
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,890
    Forum Member
    I remember when Selina Scott, Joanna Lumley and Ben Elton were all guest hosts. Did Ben Elton let any of the guests get a word in? :D
  • Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    Here's one show that won't be seen.anytime soon. :o

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lD2lBq6qPz0
    Forum Member
    I remember when Selina Scott, Joanna Lumley and Ben Elton were all guest hosts. Did Ben Elton let any of the guests get a word in? :D

I remember Ben being quite good in his stints.

I think we did a thread a while back trying to remember all the Wogan stand-in hosts; I tried looking them up on BBC Genome but I don't think it bills all of them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tuesday's show was quite good. Bette Davis, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Christopher Reeve. But the funniest thing I have seen for ages was Leslie Nielsen. I don't even know why it was funny, but it was for me. :D
  • owen10owen10 Posts: 127,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did anyone see Helen Mirren on todays episode she was so gorgeous even back then
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    I was comparing with the current range of chat shows. I have always thought that Parkinson was very overrated.

Me too, always found him dry and dour with way too much focus on sportsmen and Connolly.
  • cody jarrettcody jarrett Posts: 1,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bob Hoskins anecdote about getting paid for a film he didn't do was fantastic to hear.
    Forum Member
    Excuse the random bump, but does anybody know why the scheduled repeat of this earlier on BBC Two today wasn't shown? According to my TiVo they showed Terry and Mason's Food Trip instead...
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davads wrote: »
    Excuse the random bump, but does anybody know why the scheduled repeat of this earlier on BBC Two today wasn't shown? According to my TiVo they showed Terry and Mason's Food Trip instead...
    They had to postpone an episode of Food Trip last week, so with the final episode already scheduled for tomorrow, they squeezed in the missing episode today. :)