Stamps on victim's head 18 times, no jail, walks free

Comments

• UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sweetums wrote: »
    Not so much actually, I was thinking more of the likes of Rhythm Stick and UKMikey.

Maybe I am from another planet where getting a bit upset over something like this somehow makes my opinions less worthy in their eyes?
    When did I say anything remotely resembling the BIB? If anything the opposite is true as it was you that decided to have a go at us for not being emotionally involved enough in the case. Look, I feel sorry for the victim and even suggested he appeal but pointed out that it didn't seem likely to me that he'd receive the kind of justice you're asking for.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
  • Rhythm StickRhythm Stick Posts: 1,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if the people who are being quite cold towards the victim in the name of reciting sentencing guidelines would be so passionless if such an attack happened to them or their loved one?

Yes, why not lock them away and throw away the key.
    Or why not try him for rape and extortion as well?

The offence was ABH, regardless of how many times somebody was "stamped" on. That does not entail 10 years in prision.If we are judging by "stamps" perhaps you would like to define the various offences that vary with the amount of "stamping". Geordie has it as 18 stamps is "attempted Murder", is 10 "Stamps" GBH? 5 ABH? 1 common assault ?

I have actually been booted in the head, hard. Still don't think the person who did it was trying to murder me, and since it didn't actually do anything, It wouldn't have even been ABH. So there sweetiepie. Try to find some rationality,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed. The fact that this vile act is dismissed as ABH says it all about the twisted nightmare our justice system has become.

So what offence should have been charged then?
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    stamping on someones head 18 times is attempted murder as far as im concerned, not sure why he wasnt charged with that.:confused:

100% agreed. Although the law sees it differently - link
    Attempted murder requires an intention to kill. Accordingly, an offender convicted of this offence will have demonstrated a high level of culpability. Even so, the precise level of culpability will vary in line with the circumstances of the offence and whether the offence was planned or spontaneous. The use of a weapon may influence this assessment.

It is debatable whether there was an intention to kill. You could argue that the attackers were so moronic, as to not fully appreciate the potential effects of stamping on someone's head 18 times.

Just one stamp could induce unconsciousness. Another might cause a bleed on the brain, or brain damage. Any bleed in the brain can easily cause death or PVS..

18 times is easily enough to cause death or permanent injury. The victim has been lucky.

Either way they should definitely have seen jail time.
    Forum Member
    Not so much actually, I was thinking more of the likes of Rhythm Stick and UKMikey.

Maybe I am from another planet where getting a bit upset over something like this somehow makes my opinions less worthy in their eyes?

being capable of stepping back and looking at facts isn`t indicative of a lack of emotion.
  • SummerShudderSummerShudder Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    because he wasn't attempting to murder somebody!/QUOTE]

What was he trying to do when stamping on his head as he lay on the ground? Tickle him? Actions speak louder than words my friend.
    Forum Member

What was he trying to do when stamping on his head as he lay on the ground? Tickle him? Actions speak louder than words my friend.

charging them with attempted murder would have most likely resulted in an acquittal because the crime does not fit the criteria. the cps don`t just open the big book of offences and stick a pin in, they are trained in law.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    because he wasn't attempting to murder somebody!/QUOTE]

Hurt him. Not kill him. Duh.

If every such thing was "attempted murder" then we'd have very full prisons as this is common on nights out...
  • reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    I have just googled kicking in the head and the top 2 are these

Son showed no remorse for stamping on mother’s head up to TEN times
    http://metro.co.uk/2014/10/14/jailed-son-who-showed-no-remorse-for-stamping-on-mothers-head-up-to-ten-times-4905481/

Smirking thug ran up and kicked victim's head 'like taking a penalty' at music festival
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2886499/Smirking-thug-ran-kicked-victim-s-head-like-taking-penalty-music-festival.html

Both of these were charged with gbh and both victims sustained similar injuries
  • fastzombiefastzombie Posts: 10,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hurt him. Not kill him. Duh.

If every such thing was "attempted murder" then we'd have very full prisons as this is common on nights out...

Well if this is common on nights out maybe we should be treating it more seriously than ABH.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fastzombie wrote: »

Well if this is common on nights out maybe we should be treating it more seriously than ABH.

Why are you claiming that ABH, a crime which carries a maximum of 5 years imprisonment, isn't serious?
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    So the guidelines say that they should have got off?

No of course not, but the CPS can change the charges at its discretion (like a plea deal). They like to look after their own, so they will give them a soft judge on reduced charges. If it was a young black male, maybe muslim, then its time to talk about the death penalty again.

Its hard to judge the law, because it really depends who is being tried. If you have money or are part of the legal system (or army it seems), you can pretty much get away with murder.
    Forum Member
    Tal'shiar wrote: »
    No of course not, but the CPS can change the charges at its discretion (like a plea deal). They like to look after their own, so they will give them a soft judge on reduced charges. If it was a young black male, maybe muslim, then its time to talk about the death penalty again.

Its hard to judge the law, because it really depends who is being tried. If you have money or are part of the legal system (or army it seems), you can pretty much get away with murder.

they also will pick a lesser charge if they think it will secure a conviction and the heavier case might be lost.
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they also will pick a lesser charge if they think it will secure a conviction and the heavier case might be lost.

But they had it on CCTV, its not like it would be hard to prove it was more than self defense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    reglip wrote: »
    I have just googled kicking in the head and the top 2 are these

Son showed no remorse for stamping on mother’s head up to TEN times
    http://metro.co.uk/2014/10/14/jailed-son-who-showed-no-remorse-for-stamping-on-mothers-head-up-to-ten-times-4905481/

Smirking thug ran up and kicked victim's head 'like taking a penalty' at music festival
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2886499/Smirking-thug-ran-kicked-victim-s-head-like-taking-penalty-music-festival.html

Both of these were charged with gbh and both victims sustained similar injuries

"Similiar" - The latter hadhad four of his front teeth knocked out and he was charged with ABH for his friend. Sadly that will have a longer term affect on the injured party than a fractured cheek bone. The Victim in the former had a fractured arm, a jaw broken in two places, requiring surgery and lost teeth. Not too mention that there several aggravating factors in both cases with little mitigation!

The victim in this particular case had a fractured cheek bone and suffered serve bruising suffered, with apparently at least 3 points of mitigation.

Yes completely similar cases there Reg!
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Another case, guy got 5 years
    Forum Member
    Tal'shiar wrote: »
    But they had it on CCTV, its not like it would be hard to prove it was more than self defense.

they`re the legal experts, i assume they have a rough idea what`s going to stick and what isn`t and the injuries the victim sustained are instrumental in the charge.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charging Assault cases
    When deciding on the appropriate charge in most assault cases, prosecutors and police officers should base their decisions on:

The level of injuries that have resulted; and
    The likely sentence that the court will pass.
    In more serious cases where offences of inflicting grievous bodily harm or wounding with intent or attempted murder are being considered, the level of intent will also be a key determining factor.

For all other cases, it is the level of injuries and the likely sentence that are crucial. In simple terms, Parliament has determined that there should be separate offences reflecting three levels of injury - Common Assault, ABH and GBH.

As a starting point, where there is no injury or injuries which are not serious, the offence charged should generally be Common Assault. Where there is serious injury and the likely sentence is clearly more than six months' imprisonment the offence charged should generally be ABH. And where there is really serious injury the offence charged should generally be GBH.

Very occasionally, it will be necessary to depart from this basic approach in cases where the injuries are at the lower end of the scale of seriousness. In such cases the level of injury will not be the only factor to be considered, as this may not alone accurately reflect the nature and seriousness of the offence as a whole. The presence of aggravating factors will be highly relevant to the likely sentence - by way of example, an injury may not of itself turn out to be serious but the manner in which it was caused (such as through strangulation) may indicate that a sentence of more than six months is likely. However, the aggravating factors should never in themselves be the basis for deciding the appropriate charge.

In assessing the likely sentence that will be passed and thus the appropriate assault charge, the Definitive Guideline provides valuable assistance to prosecutors and police officers. By assessing the harm and culpability of the offender with reference to the framework set out in the Definitive Guideline, prosecutors and police officers will be able to determine both the starting points and category ranges for sentence.

Careful consideration of the Definitive Guideline can therefore be a vital part of the review and decision-making process in assault cases.

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/l_to_o/offences_against_the_person/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rhythm Stick, I do understand what you and others are saying. The guidelines are what they are. Is it so wrong to thing the guidelines are wrong and to be upset by that, to show a bit of passion? Admittedly I can be prone to knee jerk reactions with stories like this but I'm only human. I don't think mocking me and talking to me like I'm a moron is fair.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    Another case, guy got 5 years

Yes, clearly a similar case and clearly a case of ABH... leaving a victim with BRAIN DAMAGE. A Broken Jaw requiring surgery, Broken noise, swelling on the brain. Memory loss, balance issues and of course being knocked unconscious and left for dead.

clearly similar to this case...
    Forum Member
    Rhythm Stick, I do understand what you and others are saying. The guidelines are what they are. Is it so wrong to thing the guidelines are wrong and to be upset by that, to show a bit of passion? Admittedly I can be prone to knee jerk reactions with stories like this but I'm only human. I don't think mocking me and talking to me like I'm a moron is fair.

i havn`t seen anyone do this have posts been removed or something?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My tone is plenty fair if you're going to make me out to be a **** for looking at the situation rationally and dispassionately as an outside observer.

So what should this guy have been charged with?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only on Digital Spy could someone be made out to be the bad guy because they got a bit upset over a horrible violent crime and dare to question our justice system.

Clearly these sort of threads aren't for me, so I give up.
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Yes, clearly a similar case and clearly a case of ABH... leaving a victim with BRAIN DAMAGE. A Broken Jaw requiring surgery, Broken noise, swelling on the brain. Memory loss, balance issues and of course being knocked unconscious and left for dead.

clearly similar to this case...

well heres the thing, should the punishment be worse because of the outcome, i ask because a while back i was discussing a story where a taxi driver was messing on his phone and had crashed into a family car and the young girl was seriously brain damaged, will never walk or talk again, all he got was a £250 fine an 6 points, i was told by almost everyone on here that the outcome shouldnt determine the punishment, only the act itself, so he got a lenient sentence because his actual crime wasnt "serious", surely that would also apply here, whereby it doesnt matter the outcome, only the initial crime, which i think certainly calls for prison time.

Link