Hairdressers!

FrillynixFrillynix Posts: 6,497
Forum Member
I wonder if any hairdressers could talk about this - or anyone just want to throw their own thing in!

For years I stopped going to the hairdressers, no matter how well I explained what I wanted, showed pics etc, I always seemed to end up with it too short.

I thought last night I would give the benefit of the doubt, maybe Im too fussy, maybe I dont explain myself properly.

Spent hours googling and found a lovely style that was just a tiny bit shorter than mine (been growing it for ages).

Showed hairdresser the picture - asked if it would suit me - stressed I didnt want it short at the back, but more or less like the pic. She nodded very convincingly.

I am sitting here this morning with it cut up to the nape of my neck - really short:mad: The style is nothing like the pic - what part of "I dont want it short at the back" is hard to understand?:mad:

Sorry, I know in the general scheme of things its hardly a big issue, but every time I look in the mirror Im feeling a bit deflated!

Has this happened to anyone else, or if you are a hairdresser, do any of your colleagues just give hairstyles out that THEY choose and compleley ignore the client:mad:

ooooooer rant over - feel better now.:D

Comments

• PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my opinion, when you take a picture to the hairdresser of the style you want, it is there for guidence only. They cant copy it perfectly as they charge about £10 an hour as opposed to thousands for a celebrity hairdresser. Plus your hair might not be the same texture, your face not the same shape etc as the person in the picture.

I know my husband recently took a photo into the hairdressers as he was cutting his shoulder length hair into something shorter. The hairdresser said it wouldn't suit his face shape if he did it like that, plus it would mean washing / styling daily - which hubby didnt want. So, the style was changed to reflect the above.

I dont know why they cut it sooooo short though if you specifically asked for it not to be.

Did you complain ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,252
    Forum Member
    I hate going to the hairdresser. I am the same, I have long hair just past my shoulders, with a lovely natural wave. I love my hair and am VERY possesive over who cuts/styles it!

I once had my hair cut to a short sharp bob and as nice as it was I was fuming!

Now I just get a trim to keep it healthy and if I think the hairdresser is getting a bit keen with the 'inches' I scream stop! :eek: :D
  • fonzerellifonzerelli Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My hairdressor does a fantastic job every time. Trick is to stick with the same hairdressor (a good one) and they will learn how your hair naturally grows etc. They also get to know you and you know them so trust can be built up between the two. If you trust your hairdressor, you know they will do the best for you - and what you want!!!
  • FrillynixFrillynix Posts: 6,497
    Forum Member
    Porcupine wrote: »
    In my opinion, when you take a picture to the hairdresser of the style you want, it is there for guidence only. They cant copy it perfectly as they charge about £10 an hour as opposed to thousands for a celebrity hairdresser. Plus your hair might not be the same texture, your face not the same shape etc as the person in the picture.

I know my husband recently took a photo into the hairdressers as he was cutting his shoulder length hair into something shorter. The hairdresser said it wouldn't suit his face shape if he did it like that, plus it would mean washing / styling daily - which hubby didnt want. So, the style was changed to reflect the above.

I dont know why they cut it sooooo short though if you specifically asked for it not to be.

Did you complain ?

Im embarrassed to say No, - however my feeling was that I was about to burst into tears (sorry I know how utterly shallow that sounds!) - and secondly I knew they couldnt stick it back on again!

Oh I know that they coudlnt do it exactly like the pic - but when I showed it to her and she nodded, and I said "Ive been growing it, I dont want it short at the back"

I suppose thats the bit that angered me......I felt she gave me the haircut she wanted me to have, rather than what I wanted..........if that makes sense.

I got the feeling afterwards that she has maybe a favourite "short" cut that everyone seems to get!
  • MintMint Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it's best to tell them how many inches you want off.
    Forum Member
    Mint wrote: »
    I find it's best to tell them how many inches you want off.

I did! I said no more than an inch................flippen more like three taken off:mad:
  • MintMint Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frillynix wrote: »
    I did! I said no more than an inch................flippen more like three taken off:mad:

In that case sounds like she ignored your wishes.

A hairdresser once told me I seemed very sure about what I wanted. What I wanted was different from what she wanted. I do find that you have to be very firm with them or they just do what they like.
    Forum Member
    Mint wrote: »
    In that case sounds like she ignored your wishes.

A hairdresser once told me I seemed very sure about what I wanted. What I wanted was different from what she wanted. I do find that you have to be very firm with them or they just do what they like.

I do take your point. Its just that you cant see whats going on at the back of your head, and I sort of thought, "well Ive been clear about the style and the length so I cant tell her how to do her job.........."

If there are any hairdressers on here I would love them to post - as I siad before, looking at some other clients on the way out, they seemed to have very similar cuts - I wonder if its a salon favourite and you get it no matter what you asked for!:D
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,168
    Forum Member
    This is why I no longer let stylists trim my hair, I do it myself. If you request an inch trim it invariably turns into a three/four inch cut. My cousin was in tears to me recently as her long beautiful waist length hair was hacked off to just past her shoulders at the hands of a stylist.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lushness wrote: »
    This is why I no longer let stylists trim my hair, I do it myself. If you request an inch trim it invariably turns into a three/four inch cut. My cousin was in tears to me recently as her long beautiful waist length hair was hacked off to just past her shoulders at the hands of a stylist.

Well that really is quite a cut ! - ow on earth did that happen ?

My hairdresser is brilliant - she actually shows me what she is going to cut off before she does it so I can say if I think she is taking too much or not. She is also happy to tell me if I suggest something that will not suit me !
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lushness wrote: »

How did that happen without her being aware ?

I have waist length hair, and i feel the pressure of her fingers on the small of my back when she is cutting it. Surely you can see where the hairdressers hand / scissors are if they are just behind her ear :confused:
  • quiniequinie Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think you sound shallow or stupid OP - I too have had some horrendous haircuts in the past!

When you don't like your haircut every time you look in the mirror it makes you want to cry!

I make my hairdresser show me what she thinks a 1/2 inch is because my idea of 1/2 inch and hers can be quite different.

I also hold my hair and tell her how much I want off. I make sure I find a really good picture of what I want and most of all I ALWAYS tell her that I would rather come back in a week and have another bit cut off than have too much cut off now!

She is very good and understands this no problems - a few times I have come back a week later and had a bit more off but I am willing to pay another £30 rather than go home in tears!!

Once I asked her to cut more off than normal and she was like "I think you should have less than that becuase that will be a really noticable cut and you won't like it" - she was totally right and I am glad she said so!

She has been my hairdresser for about 10 years now and we have built up a relationship.

Personally I find that if the stylist is a bit older and listens to you before they take the scissors out it really helps.

Also I have my hair cut dry so they can see exactly what it is like - I think if you have it cut wet all the time it ends up shorter than you want!!

I just go every 6-7 weeks and have a very small amount cut off - this suits me fine because I am the worse customer in the world when it comes to hairdressers!!!

I once grabbed the wrist of one and said "You're not cutting those long bits off are you?" but she went ahead and cut them anyway (she was only trimming my fringe but decided these bits should be included in my fringe) - I was livid because I ended up looking like I had a bowl haircut and I had to go on holiday like that!!!! YUK!

I feel your pain!!!! (((((((hugs))))))
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    If the cut was that awful and not what you asked for, you should have refused to pay the full price. I got a horrendous, inept bowl cut from a clueless "stylist" once, and ended up not paying.

Was this haircut at Toni & Guy? They have quite a bad reputation for not listening to customers and giving out standard-issue styles to everyone.
    Forum Member
    Mallaha wrote: »
    If the cut was that awful and not what you asked for, you should have refused to pay the full price. I got a horrendous, inept bowl cut from a clueless "stylist" once, and ended up not paying.

Was this haircut at Toni & Guy? They have quite a bad reputation for not listening to customers and giving out standard-issue styles to everyone.

It wasnt Tony and Guy - I wouldnt go to them as I have heard this myself.

See thats the thing, the cut itself is quite well done - I mean my husband says he likes it - its not horrendous or unprofessional - its just much shorter and not the style I wanted!

I have the added problem though, that I get my nails done in the same salon, and the lady who does them is brill, and I want to keep going to her - so it would have caused a bit of a problem if I had caused a scene, well it probably wouldnt but I would have been too embarrassed to go back I think!

I remember watching Tabithas Salon Takeover, she had this really high end salon but the manager just cut hair the way HE wanted to, didnt listen at all to his clients. I think thats the case here!
  • parsleyisfunparsleyisfun Posts: 4,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My hairdresser is fantastic, I don't like going to any hairdresser but her - even at the salon, they always say "you prefer having your hair done by ______", don't you?" :p She cuts my hair exactly how I want it. Just had my hair cut today actually and I love it :D
    Forum Member
    My hairdresser is fantastic, I don't like going to any hairdresser but her - even at the salon, they always say "you prefer having your hair done by ______", don't you?" :p She cuts my hair exactly how I want it. Just had my hair cut today actually and I love it :D

thats great!

and the embarrassing thing is that mine is starting to grow on me a bit now:o

Thats besides the point though, as it wasnt what I originally wanted!:p
  • passionfruit69passionfruit69 Posts: 684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frillynix wrote: »
    I do take your point. Its just that you cant see whats going on at the back of your head, and I sort of thought, "well Ive been clear about the style and the length so I cant tell her how to do her job.........."

If there are any hairdressers on here I would love them to post - as I siad before, looking at some other clients on the way out, they seemed to have very similar cuts - I wonder if its a salon favourite and you get it no matter what you asked for!:D

Yeh too right think the one they are going for at the moment is the inverted bob, every bloody woman you see has got it, who wants to be same as everyone else!!