Defence cuts, what defence cuts?

duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
Forum Member
✭✭
There will be nearly 1000 troops parading for this junket on Friday.

The Battle of Britain Memorial flight together with 2 x Tornado and 2 x Typhoon aircraft will flypast.

This less than a month after 15 pilots were sacked from training, several troops in Afghanistan were told they would be made redundant on return. And just a few months after Harrier aircraft were scrapped an Ark Royal decommisioned.

What a load of tosh!

The bill for the flypast alone will be in the region of £20000 per hour!! :mad:

Comments

• You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe they can tie in the fly by with a bombing in Libya? A wee bit of OT for the boys would go down well!
  • duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You_mo wrote: »
    Maybe they can tie in the fly by with a bombing in Libya? A wee bit of OT for the boys would go down well!

Not sure of the BBMF Spitfire, Hurricane and Lancaster would do too well at that. :D
  • Charlie ChuckCharlie Chuck Posts: 2,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish them well. Maybe a protest? (We're getting used to protests here in London, us 'locals' are finding our local pubs are really lovely afterall.)
  • mumbles26mumbles26 Posts: 5,765
    Forum Member
    But why post that here OP? I fully respect your opinion but surely such a topic would be better suited in another section of DS.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mumbles26 wrote: »
    But why post that here OP? I fully respect your opinion but surely such a topic would be better suited in another section of DS.

I'm not sure why the Royal Wedding forum is in Showbiz, I know a lot of posters hate the Showbiz forum.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mumbles26 wrote: »

Ehm :confused: Sorry :confused: What? :confused:

This relates to the Flypast organised for the Royal Wedding on Friday.

This is the Royal Wedding thread isn't it? :confused:
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ehm :confused: Sorry :confused: What? :confused:

This relates to the Flypast organised for the Royal Wedding on Friday.

This is the Royal Wedding thread isn't it? :confused:

Apparently you are not allowed to post anything tangentially related to the royal wedding in the royal wedding forums. A lot of posters here will only acknowledge you if you are here to chirp mindlessly about how much you love the royals and how in love this pair are. :yawn:

God forbid you dare to question royalist beliefs and the actions surrounding this non-event in a forum dedicated to it! Part of the problem is that this forum has been lumped into the Showbiz area of DS: as a consequence, rather than any critical debate about the participants in Friday's event and the ramificactions of it/reasons that it's taking place at this point in time, the people who find their way here are generally inclined to only want to talk about dresses, flags and tea towels.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    God forbid you dare to question royalist beliefs and the actions surrounding this non-event in a forum dedicated to it!

Is that so?

Well they ain't going to like this then;

This Royal Wedding is a shocking waste of money and Military resources, given that this country is a) In a financial crisis and b) involved in Military conflicts elsewhere.

These two (given their family connections) have the ability to get married in St Georges Chapel, Windsor Castle. They can also stay at the castle beforehand and hold the booze up there as well.

In doing so, there would be no need for marching bands, mounted troops, flypasts and massive Police operations.

It's a bloody disgrace!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is that so?

Well they ain't going to like this then;

This Royal Wedding is a shocking waste of money and Military resources, given that this country is a) In a financial crisis and b) involved in Military conflicts elsewhere.

These two (given their family connections) have the ability to get married in St Georges Chapel, Windsor Castle. They can also stay at the castle beforehand and hold the booze up there as well.

In doing so, there would be no need for marching bands, mounted troops, flypasts and massive Police operations.

It's a bloody disgrace!

Absolutely agreed. What's even worse is that the Palace have the affrontery to insist that 'this is a private wedding, not a state occasion' as an excuse for snubbing senior Labour politicians. And yet they're using state resources and OUR TAXES to fund security! Whose benefit is this farce for? Simply put, it's a smokescreen designed to distract people from more pressing issues about the state our monarchist government is in.

It's downright insulting that they think people will fall for the 'Oh look! A parade! Let's stop thinking and wave flags - yay, someone to hero worship!' style of propaganda. Unfortunately, judging my the hysterical excitement of a lot of people, it's working perfectly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stop moaning, you two. Be happy that you live in Britain and not a hell hole. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stop moaning, you two. Be happy that you live in Britain and not a hell hole. :)

If you had just been booted out of your career because of defence cuts, then witnessed the money being wasted on this junket, I would venture you'd believe that this IS a hell hole. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ah, but we love Britain so much we want it to progress and be the best it can be. :D Not an international freakshow which has as its primary selling point a family who like to play dress up on our dime.
  • Blanco NotreBlanco Notre Posts: 623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    Absolutely agreed. What's even worse is that the Palace have the affrontery to insist that 'this is a private wedding, not a state occasion' as an excuse for snubbing senior Labour politicians. And yet they're using state resources and OUR TAXES to fund security! Whose benefit is this farce for? Simply put, it's a smokescreen designed to distract people from more pressing issues about the state our monarchist government is in.

It's downright insulting that they think people will fall for the 'Oh look! A parade! Let's stop thinking and wave flags - yay, someone to hero worship!' style of propaganda. Unfortunately, judging my the hysterical excitement of a lot of people, it's working perfectly.

I am the polar opposite in terms of political persuasion but the snubbing of Blair (who i think is a lying sleaze bag but thats my opinion) and Brown is a disgrace, both are former PM's and this will look like the Palace playing politics again, when all along its the miserable couple who decided who was invited.

Invite a few tyrants and stupid ignorant cretins like the Beckhams but to snub ex PM's is a disgrace when there is precedence in the past.

The lies that we are only forking out for security is all too apparent, we are paying for the military to be involved, road closures ect.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am the polar opposite in terms of political persuasion but the snubbing of Blair (who i think is a lying sleaze bag but thats my opinion) and Brown is a disgrace, both are former PM's and this will look like the Palace playing politics again, when all along its the miserable couple who decided who was invited.

Invite a few tyrants and stupid ignorant cretins like the Beckhams but to snub ex PM's is a disgrace when there is precedence in the past.

The lies that we are only forking out for security is all too apparent, we are paying for the military to be involved, road closures ect.

I have no love for Blair either - an unctuous little politician if ever there was one - but the snub is obvious and gives the lie to the Palace claims of political impartiality. Their claims of a 'private' wedding are also a joke - if they wanted a private wedding, they would have had a private wedding. They want to have their cake and eat it - that is, try and whip up as much popular support as possible with a grand wedding at our expense, but also claim it is a private affair and they have a select guest list.