food you miss

statenislandstatenisland Posts: 635
Forum Member
✭✭
Living in the states, I miss Brit food like sunday dinners and chips covered in vinegar and cottage pie and suchlike.

you? :)

Comments

• Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being in America stops you cooking?
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why cant you have a sunday dinner? Its only roast meat, veg and potatoes.
  • chuckleberrychuckleberry Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Durban Prawn Curry and Durban Lamb Curry.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fruit lovely fruit any fruit oh and fruit !

Allergies so no fruit for me :(
  • Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    I miss quorn when we're in Turkey for a few months. They have dried soya which is dreadful - so I take pack of dry soya with me, but you can't beat quorn IMO. Oh & malt vinegar too, can't find that out there at all. :confused:
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chile rellenos, tamales, decent avocados.

And bread.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boiled beef.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Living in the states, I miss Brit food like sunday dinners and chips covered in vinegar and cottage pie and suchlike.

you? :)
    But you were saying on GD last week that you work between London and NY? :confused:
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    But you were saying on GD last week that you work between London and NY? :confused:

That's what I was thinking. I don't see why cottage pie or chips or sunday dinners can't be cooked in the US anyway.
  • AmberPandaAmberPanda Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    There are two foods I miss, firstly my grandmothers fish and chips on a Friday, not shop bought of course she cooked it herself and did it taste good, if it was in season she would fry me skate oh how I miss that it.
    Second is my Mums stuffed hearts, once again all cooked from scratch she even made her own stuffing, I didn't get it very often as it took a long time to prepare and she had to be in the mood to spend an afternoon in the kitchen, not a pleasant job cleaning pipes out of hearts :cry: but did they taste good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could at one time get Lyons individual fruit pies, about five inches square (with the corners cropt off) in a tray. One pie and some custard was a real treat.
    Jiffy Jellies, this was a few bits of fruit and a dollop of jelly in jar with a metal lid.
    Nux bars, Bar Six, Tiffin, sweets yes but I mis 'em.
    Tub butter, that was butter that tasted like heaven.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Callard & Bowser blackcurrant pastilles
    Callard & Bowser assorted toffees (especially the brazil nut flavour ones)

Both discontinued. :cry:
  • StudmuffinStudmuffin Posts: 4,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't miss anything from the UK....as I can make it here too.
    Admittedly I balk at the price they charge over here for Oxo cubes but I've just had friends come over who've brought me about 4 years supply of them.
    Plenty of places do "proper" fish and chips here, mainly because seafood is so plentiful. And, they even serve it with malt vinegar.
  • katiso41katiso41 Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Birds Hot Crunch pudding and Rice Cremola, delicious served with evaporated milk There was another pudding my mum used to buy in the 60s which came in a packet and you baked in the oven. It was a light sponge in orange sauce -so tasty!
  • hello_mumhello_mum Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    Bacon hotpot. My gran used to make it. Layers of onion, sliced potatoes and bacon finishing with a layer of bacon, cook slowly medium heat for around three hours or when you see the top layer of bacon crispy. I can never cook it as good as my gran.

Other things my gran made; treacle toffee and parkin - for Bonfire Night. When I was a kid we as a nation celebrated Bonfire Night more than Halloween.
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hello_mum wrote: »
    Bacon hotpot. My gran used to make it. Layers of onion, sliced potatoes and bacon finishing with a layer of bacon, cook slowly medium heat for around three hours or when you see the top layer of bacon crispy. I can never cook it as good as my gran.

Other things my gran made; treacle toffee and parkin - for Bonfire Night. When I was a kid we as a nation celebrated Bonfire Night more than Halloween.

They've been celebrating Guy Fawkes Night, complete with huge bonfires, fireworks and a fun fair in our area since Saturday. I made parkin which we ate in our garden where we built our own mini-bonfire.
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    katiso41 wrote: »
    Birds Hot Crunch pudding and Rice Cremola, delicious served with evaporated milk There was another pudding my mum used to buy in the 60s which came in a packet and you baked in the oven. It was a light sponge in orange sauce -so tasty!

Was that the pudding that used to bake its way up through the sauce? If so, I think my mother treated us to it, or something similar when I was a kid.
  • katiso41katiso41 Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was that the pudding that used to bake its way up through the sauce? If so, I think my mother treated us to it, or something similar when I was a kid.

Yes that's the one. Mum used to make it on Sundays We all loved it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    McDougalls Saucy Sponge?
  • TennisFreak08TennisFreak08 Posts: 9,451
    Forum Member
    Tell you what were nice a few years back... Chilli & Lemongrass Gourmet Pringles. Discontinued 'em, the swines!
  • Dean_BurroughsDean_Burroughs Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    the roast spuds that my dad use to make and the way he made rib steak taste better than fillet...i miss my dad more though
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The smell of coffee roasting outside the shop
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    I currently don't have an oven so I really miss roast chicken and roast potatoes!
  • Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ben & Jerry's Chubby Hubby! Discontinued here.:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    My mum's lasagne and beef casserole. Tried doing both and neither came out anywhere near as good.