The Great British Bake Off - New Series in August

windowseatwindowseat Posts: 262
Forum Member
Have we not already had a series of this show this year? It doesn't seem not long ago we had the last one.

Have the BBC decided to make 2 series a year?

The series will have to be careful that we do not have an overkill of this programme, it will become boring in the end if they keep on churning them out..

this s

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    windowseat wrote: »
    Have we not already had a series of this show this year? It doesn't seem not long ago we had the last one.

Have the BBC decided to make 2 series a year?

The series will have to be careful that we do not have an overkill of this programme, it will become boring in the end if they keep on churning them out..

I thought it was July/August last year as I was up in Scotland when it was on and remember trying to get my gran to like it, which she never did yet her 23 year old grandson did. Something not quite right there!!!
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are probably thinking of the Comic relief version, happy this will be on soon great TV.
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul Hollywood has lost some of his appeal for me I'm afraid..:(
  • YeraYera Posts: 6,200
    Forum Member

I feel the same as you, He has gone from smouldering to slimey.
  • jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was never much of a fan. But if was doing PR, would be pulling out the stops for reconciliation, confession, "I've been foolish...", mea culpa...
  • PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member

I agree . The Bake Off just wont feel the same now .
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jeff_vader wrote: »
    Was never much of a fan. But if was doing PR, would be pulling out the stops for reconciliation, confession, "I've been foolish...", mea culpa...

I didn't know he'd murdered someone

Some of the comments on here I find hilarious. He's just the latest in a long line of 'celebrities' to leave their wife or partner for someone else.

I didn't see the same kind of vitriol being spouted when John Torode and Lisa Faulkner got together. I don't see people boycotting Masterchef#

Or how about Richard & Judy - both of whom left their respective partners to be together
  • PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member

Some of the comments on here I find hilarious. He's just the latest in a long line of 'celebrities' to leave their wife or partner for someone else.

I didn't see the same kind of vitriol being spouted when John Torode and Lisa Faulkner got together. I don't see people boycotting Masterchef#

Or how about Richard & Judy - both of whom left their respective partners to be together

I dont see any vitriol on this thread .Just a sense of disappointed .I for one am disappointed and not afraid to voice it .He has lost his appeal for me now and I view him differently and so the show will loose some of its feel good factor for me .
  • BirdsworthBirdsworth Posts: 1,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, but just think of the stick (or rather gentle teasing) that he's going to get from Sue Perkins throughout the run.
    Silver Fox? Silver Dirty Dawg, more like it.

Worse still, the disapproving looks from Mary. Soggy bottoms are the least of his worries.
  • TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agreed - in fact he never had any for me.
  • TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Could be, but I can't think of anything more wholesome and goody-goody than baking cakes and judging people's pastry. It's just that - for me - he is no longer really believeable. Having said that, his ego was always too big IMO.
  • sherisgirlsherisgirl Posts: 2,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No not had 1 this year, also havent had much rain yet it always seems to be chucking it down when they are filming, dont know when the do film, I always imagined it was around april/may time because you see the remains of daffs, might even see snow at the start of this years series.
  • SteUKSteUK Posts: 5,834
    Forum Member
    sherisgirl wrote: »
    No not had 1 this year, also havent had much rain yet it always seems to be chucking it down when they are filming, dont know when the do film, I always imagined it was around april/may time because you see the remains of daffs, might even see snow at the start of this years series.
    There was an article in the Guardian last weekend behind the scenes - they are filming at the moment.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2013/jul/20/bake-off-behind-the-scenes
  • thats_racistthats_racist Posts: 1,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to this.

I agree that Paul Hollywood has certainly lost his appeal - how he conducts his personal life is indeed his own business but it definitely changes the way he is perceived.

Less 'phwoar' and more sleaze now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really looking forward to this.
    I think Mary, Mel and Sue make the programme what it is, anyway, along with the contestants themselves of course! So I'm not put off by what Paul does in his private life - I'm not that surprised by it either, tbh, as his opinion of himself seems to grow with each new series!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
    Forum Member

Why would anyone want to discuss Torode,Faulkner and Richard and Judy in a thread that’s got nothing to do with them?
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would anyone want to discuss Torode,Faulkner and Richard and Judy in a thread that’s got nothing to do with them?
    I would hazard a guess here that (and of course I might be wrong) the poster was commenting upon the lack of such threads on DS, not commenting upon the lack of such comments in a GBBO thread.
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Birdsworth wrote: »
    Yes, but just think of the stick (or rather gentle teasing) that he's going to get from Sue Perkins throughout the run.
    Silver Fox? Silver Dirty Dawg, more like it.

Worse still, the disapproving looks from Mary. Soggy bottoms are the least of his worries.

I even started a thread a while back saying Paul was my Silver Fox and asking who others had as theirs! Ahhh how the mighty have fallen! I love the show and was initially sure the GBBO was successful enough to survive Paul's latest shenanigans, but hearing about the poor ratings in the US and now the news his Bread programme is "toast" I'm getting worried.
  • Miss HavershamMiss Haversham Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually watched the US version and I don't really believe he was the specific problem, it just felt like a different show with the same elements The host was a 'down home country boy ' though for the life of me I cannot remember his name right now, his role was to play up the homely/country feeling to the show, which in my opinion he did just fine, though it wasn't really to my taste (no pun intended :)) not great, not excellent, just fine.

Paul and Marcela seemed to again do just fine and the contestants were pleasant enough, the winner was a bit of a berk early on and progressed into being an idiot, though harmless enough I suppose.

Anyhow, back on topic, this upcoming series should be interesting to see if Paul is perhaps a little more humble in his approach as he realizes that his once flourishing career is teetering on the brink. Undoubtedly Mary will be her usual self, but I don't see any double entendres from either Mel or Sue, though it would be funny if the director of the show gave us a shot of Paul's steely eyed sucking on lemons face in response to said double entendre.

The show itself is bigger than Paul and whilst we may watch with a slight sour taste in our mouths (again, pun ... Sorry, they just keep coming) we will continue to watch for Mary and the stunning creations some of the contestants produce, the show has given me confidence to attempt a few of the technical bakes myself and with a considerable amount of success, if I might say so myself :)
  • windowseatwindowseat Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    Thank you for your replies. I now realise the show was shown in the summer. I always thought it was one of the those shows filmed in the summer and shown in the winter.

The sight of pastel shades and bunting cheered us up on a winters evening!

Thanks again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read that Mel and Sue were firmly in the team Mrs Hollywood, so will be interesting to see if any subtle digs are leaked in about what's gone on. I mean ultimately, your private life should remain just that, but when you're the married star of a homely, wholesome baking show and get caught with your proverbial pants down with your co-host, it's going to come out and people are going to talk, and judge.

Personally, I find him a little sleazy - I didn't beforehand, but when you watch things back, you think oh yeah, that is sleazy.

But it's not about Paul Hollywood. It's about this season's bakers and I'm excited to meet them! I thought John and James were brilliant last year, hope we get some equally talented bakers!
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    I dont see any vitriol on this thread .Just a sense of disappointed .I for one am disappointed and not afraid to voice it .He has lost his appeal for me now and I view him differently and so the show will loose some of its feel good factor for me .

I am old and somewhat naive and always feel disappointed when couples who have been together for a long time do the 'dirty' on one another and make themselves look very foolish, especially if they are in the public eye.
    They go down to rock bottom in my estimation and anything that issues from their mouths I treat with suspicion.

The trouble is that a lot of men, think they are God's gift to women and cannot keep their flies zipped up.:mad:
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't wait for the new series! I for one have never liked Paul on TGBBO, my least favourite element of the show and the one aspect of the program that I think could easily be replaced, unlike Mary, who has become a bit of an icon.
  • Ste30yoSte30yo Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    Anyone had any news of when this show is definately on again? It would normally start next week, but I think it might be later, perhaps even September before it begins.... help!! :P
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As an aside, there is a "Junior Bake Off" currently showing on CBBC (with Paul Hollywood and Mary Berry in it). My 5 year old daughter has discovered it and loves it and is begging to be allowed to watch the "adult" version when it is on, although she can't quite grasp the concept of one person leaving every episode, although that's probably more to do with my rubbish explanation.
This discussion has been closed.