Vintage gas cooker

1235»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    Hut27 wrote: »
    When we married in '56 my mother-in-law gave us a new Gas Cooker for our wedding present. It was a New World 65 ,cream enamel with high level grill. There were no Flame Failure devices in those days on cookers, we never had a moments bother with it 'nor any Flame Failures, and my wife used to strip it down for cleaning, all burners were cast iron, I remember the Natural Gas Conversion being done FOC and the guy doing it remarking on cleanliness and condition of cooker. We left it there when we moved in '91 to this all Electric Bungalow we are on our 3rd Electric Cooker in this property.

and I bet your old cooker would still be going strong if you had it :)
    Forum Member
    For those still interested - just back from a very long drive to pick up Rangette No2 which hopefully has the bits Rangette No1 doesn't :)
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Keep us posted on your progress...remember seacam wants his cake!
    Forum Member
    evil c wrote: »
    Keep us posted on your progress...remember seacam wants his cake!
    I'll bake for him,no worries! I'd love to bake for you ALL :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Great threat everybody, sorry to resurrect it so late!!!

I have a New World Rangette, with the hot plate in the middle. I'll attach a picture for everyone's benefit. I bought it off an enthusiast / restorer called James Bunce in Gloucestershire I think 12 years ago. He delivered it to me in London installed it and the rest is (more) history.

Only now I have the same problem Vintage has. My thermostat doesn't seem to work, the oven is set at gas mark approx 3 and the dial does nothing. It seems to spin a little too loosely to be doing anything.

Also, I've decided to rent out my place so I need a gas safety certificate. Ooer!!!

There are the odd leaks all over the shop. What to do? It needs a service, some greasing up, but who would dare touch it? Nobody in London I've spoken to.

Can anyone help me??

Thanks!!

Simon.
  • FearFactorFearFactor Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know nothing about cookers except i hate gas ones! But seacam is still active on here so hopefully will be along soon to give you some advice. :)
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Wow, that was when cookers was built like a tank, not the thin rubbish they use now.
    good luck with getting it up and running.

Just what I was thinking. The enamel in particular was much better quality.
    In the 70s I used to hanker after the Canon gas rotisserie cooker. Anyone remember that?
  • seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simon69 wrote: »

I have a New World Rangette, with the hot plate in the middle. I'll attach a picture for everyone's benefit. I bought it off an enthusiast / restorer called James Bunce in Gloucestershire I think 12 years ago. He delivered it to me in London installed it and the rest is (more) history.

Only now I have the same problem Vintage has. My thermostat doesn't seem to work, the oven is set at gas mark approx 3 and the dial does nothing. It seems to spin a little too loosely to be doing anything.

Also, I've decided to rent out my place so I need a gas safety certificate. Ooer!!!

There are the odd leaks all over the shop. What to do? It needs a service, some greasing up, but who would dare touch it? Nobody in London I've spoken to.

Can anyone help me??

Thanks!!

Simon.
    Hi Simon,

The property you intend to rent, is it a house or a flat in a house or apartment block?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member

Can anyone help me??

Thanks!!

Simon.
  • seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Simon,

How you go about resolving your Rangette issue or best get advise does depend to some degree on whether the property you intend to rent with the cooker in, is a house or a flat in a house or apartment block?
  • Hut27Hut27 Posts: 1,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So......to derail this thread a little bit, I wonder if anyone is old enough to remember the crockery men who used to sell in street markets? I was at a market the other day with my daughters and there was a butcher there doing amazing patter throwing huge piles of steaks into bags and being very entertaining. "Just one more sirloin, and look! I'll add six lamb chops, and thats not all, a pound of mince on top!" etc. It took me back to being very small and the AMAZING guys who used to sell crockery and would throw baskets around with a full dinner service in them. If anyone remembers, or even better can find a bit of film of these chaps and their patter then that would be delightful. Is it just me, or does anyone else remember these??

Mid-summer Fair on Parker's Piece, Cambridge. The Crockery Man was always performing there ,late 50s early 60s .The Meat Man is still performing at Acle Market on a Thursday ( That's Norfolk)