46% of wealth is held by 1% of people

That usernameThat username Posts: 467
Forum Member

Comments

• TidoshoTidosho Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hasn't this always been kind of true throughout history? Not fair but in a country such as this people might be surprised at how high they are up the "world's richest ladder".

There was a link some time ago I think on the BBC.

There you go http://www.globalrichlist.com/
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this a bit like when fat people hog all the chocolates?
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Their money they can do as they wish with it. If they have done well and made the right decisions and had the breaks good look to them.
  • That usernameThat username Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Their money they can do as they wish with it. If they have done well and made the right decisions and had the breaks good look to them.

That is very true and agree with you to a point, but ony a very few people seem to be doing well or able to do well
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is very true and agree with you to a point, but ony a very few people seem to be doing well or able to do well

Well only so much money not everyone can be successful and wealthy.

Having money may not mean a happy, carefree lifestyle.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Well only so much money not everyone can be successful and wealthy.

Having money may not mean a happy, carefree lifestyle.

It means eating though.

Inequality is engineered. The mega rich employ lawyers and lobbyists to ensure that laws are written in their favour and inevitably, the little guy gets shafted.
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done to them :)
  • Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

....and pay 30% of all taxes .Very disproportionate too :)
  • VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abhorrent.
  • reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    Chuck Wao wrote: »
    ....and pay 30% of all taxes .Very disproportionate too :)

If you are on minimum wage the majority of your income goes in tax including VAT and the like. There is a reason people with all the money pay most of the tax because they have all the money. You cant pay tax on what you dont earn.
  • swaydogswaydog Posts: 5,653
    Forum Member
    Tidosho wrote: »
    Hasn't this always been kind of true throughout history? Not fair but in a country such as this people might be surprised at how high they are up the "world's richest ladder".

That link shows anyone earning the UK average salary is in the top 0.88% of the worlds wealthiest.
    Just £15000 p/a puts you in the top 4%

ETA even those on minimum wage are in the top 5.4%
    Forum Member
    reglip wrote: »
    If you are on minimum wage the majority of your income goes in tax including VAT and the like. There is a reason people with all the money pay most of the tax because they have all the money. You cant pay tax on what you dont earn.

Unless those on minimum wage are spending all their money on cigs and petrol, I'm not sure you quite understand what " majority" means.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    We need a revolution.
  • alfamalealfamale Posts: 10,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tidosho wrote: »

Not that im aware of. Look at this ridiculously short-term trend:

http://dadaviz.com/i/2896

And this graphic even more telling of current situation:
    http://dadaviz.com/i/2887
  • VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    We need a revolution.

There'll be one. Sooner rather than later.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Are you serious? If someone put £1M in my bank account tonight im pretty certain i can double it within 3-4 years, and pay next to no tax in doing so. And a chimpanzee could do the same. Being rich isnt a skill, unless you count the skill of affecting govt laws and policies to stack the odds even more in your favour.
  • reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    swaydog wrote: »
    Unless those on minimum wage are spending all their money on cigs and petrol, I'm not sure you quite understand what " majority" means.

If i could find a figure to quote I would but I saw a bbc documentary that broke down the wages and taxes that the average person on a low wage was spending and yes believe it or not people on low wages spend all their money, every month and big parts of their expenditure is petrol, cigerettes and alcohol along with other things obviously. So they end up with the majority of their wages (apart from rent) going on tax
    Forum Member
    alfamale wrote: »
    Are you serious? If someone put £1M in my bank account tonight im pretty certain i can double it within 3-4 years, and pay next to no tax in doing so. And a chimpanzee could do the same. Being rich isnt a skill, unless you count the skill of affecting govt laws and policies to stack the odds even more in your favour.

Maybe the skill or whatever you want to call it is getting the £1M in the bank in the first place.
    I doubt most of them just had "someone put £1M in"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe the skill or whatever you want to call it is getting the £1M in the bank in the first place.
    I doubt most of them just had "someone put £1M in"

Sort of like all the City "w*nker bankers" who thousands & thousands of were earning £1M+ a year....... every year. They weren't very skilful! Unless trading in bad debts (sub-prime mortgages etc) and bringing the world economy down is a skill? And they're all still rich and earning good money.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of their money will be in the financial system helping keep the economy going. If they have a million pounds in the bank that doesn't mean it's squirrelled away in a vault. It means there's a million pounds available to businesses (like your employer) to invest.

A smaller chunk will be fed into the economy daily through increased spending. Most of us might only spend a couple of hundred quid a month on our shopping. A wealthy person might spend ten times that. So ten times as much VAT going to the government. They also help keep a lot of highly skilled people in work by demanding high quality goods.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    A lot of their money will be in the financial system helping keep the economy going. If they have a million pounds in the bank that doesn't mean it's squirrelled away in a vault. It means there's a million pounds available to businesses (like your employer) to invest.

A smaller chunk will be fed into the economy daily through increased spending. Most of us might only spend a couple of hundred quid a month on our shopping. A wealthy person might spend ten times that. So ten times as much VAT going to the government. They also help keep a lot of highly skilled people in work by demanding high quality goods.

That's how it was meant to work in theory, the trickle down effect. However, 30/40 years later, that's not how it's panned out. There was a good programme about this on BBC recently, The super rich and us. It was over two parts. Definitely worth a watch if you can still get it on the iplayer.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've no truck with people who've worked hard for their money, created work for people with growing businesses etc. The real problem lies with the 'old money' that originated from the Inclosures acts which essentially robbed the majority of the nation of their ability to be self -determining and also the spivs & shysters in the property & banking sectors.
  • NeverEnoughNeverEnough Posts: 3,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    We need a revolution.

Why?
    Vulpes wrote: »
    There'll be one. Sooner rather than later.

Really? When?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That link shows anyone earning the UK average salary is in the top 0.88% of the worlds wealthiest.
    Just £15000 p/a puts you in the top 4%

ETA even those on minimum wage are in the top 5.4%

Tried the link. Interesting.

A Colombian farmer on 12 million pesos a year (£3329) after tax is still in the top 20% of incomes (16.13%)

In fact to get into that bottom 50% that only owns the same as the top 1%, then your net income needs to be below £1000/year. Even then at £1000 you only just make it.

The Oxfam headline may be true, but it is a comparison between countries. None of the 50% of lowest incomes live in the UK, Western Europe, North America or Australia. I suspect that many of them are Chinese, Indian and Russians.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member

You state that as if it were a level playing field and that everyone has had a fair opportunity to succeed.

This debate always brings forth the deluded who've swallowed the idea that he very wealthy are there because they deserve to be.