Pics of the cold weather in America

Comments

• ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    At last a nice clear picture of Bigfoot.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whoo! They don't half get the snow over there. My area's never had snow upto my shoulders before.
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picture 24 is amazing, I want to experience snow like this.
  • JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    just fab...back here in puny old uk we can barely manage to produce a couple of snowflakes.
    so boring. sleep smilie
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    http://youtu.be/LX2dQ-j25ko

This is the current craze in Boston due to the snowfall. Brrrrr crazy people.
  • leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makes you sick. Wish we had them kind of winters. Instead we get rain and gales. But with spring beginning in a weeks(metoffice) time snow has passed us by this year.. A few tokenistic days thats all
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    My niece just got back from a school trip to New York (why couldn't school trips have been that cool when I was at school? :p) and yeah she was complaining about how cold it was. Apparently, one of the girls was in tears after they had to wait for 30 mins outside a restaurant because it was so cold.
  • A321A321 Posts: 6,363
    Forum Member
    leicslad46 wrote: »
    Makes you sick. Wish we had them kind of winters. Instead we get rain and gales. But with spring beginning in a weeks(metoffice) time snow has passed us by this year.. A few tokenistic days thats all

Yeah, it looks like a right barrel of laughs...
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A321 wrote: »
    Yeah, it looks like a right barrel of laughs...
    I wouldn't mind living through that once just because..

never again though
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cazziekay wrote: »
    http://youtu.be/LX2dQ-j25ko

This is the current craze in Boston due to the snowfall. Brrrrr crazy people.

Some people will do almost anything just to be like others.
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Thought this was interesting: The top 20 coldest large cities in the US (based on winter temps Dec-Feb). Ranks cities with a population of about a quarter million or more.

http://www.weather.com/sports-recreation/ski/news/20-coldest-large-cities-america-20140107#/1

Boston comes in at #20. The temps are in Fahrenheit. So "subzero" would be below -18.
  • leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice plunge of cold air over north america means stronger jet and a stormy period for the UK coming up. The sooner the temperatures recover in america the soon in calms down for us. But with the temperatures all over the place over there that aint going to be anytime soon
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My daughter is in Mass. and seems to be in the one place where all this has passed them by.

Yes there is snow, but nothing like these "day after tomorrow" pictures.

She is slightly miffed.:D

I love the first picture, like something Turner would have created.
  • gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terry N wrote: »

Can you imagine people of the UK coping with snow like that? A wee bit of snow up here and the trains are off. People would also be moaning about the weather even more than usual.
  • FIN-MANFIN-MAN Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    #6 looks like "wicked" fun.
  • TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw an article that said Niagara Falls was frozen, then another that said it was just a bit frozen and water was still flowing underneath it and to be honest that was disappointing.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,265
    Forum Member
    And???

Why is America always treated a special snowflake?
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,888
    Forum Member
    Can you imagine people of the UK coping with snow like that? A wee bit of snow up here and the trains are off. People would also be moaning about the weather even more than usual.

If we regularly had huge amounts of snow we would have the infrastructure to cope.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The pictures make it look amazing and like a big adventure. However, in reality I wonder how many people have been injured and how the elderly are coping - my mum is terrified of going out when it's a little bit ice.:(
    And I hate being cold, it would be one of my worse nightmares.
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can be sure it will be a very hot summer over there, while at the same time we struggle to reach 20 degrees C during the daytime for much of the time. It will be hotter in New York at night than or daytime maximum come June.

We never share properly in other countries weather at the same latitude as us.
  • Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in New York City some 30 odd years back, staying with a girlfriend in Chelsea, at 23rd. and 8th.
    The weather was bitterly cold, -28F but no snow, and the radio and TV newscasters kept repeating advice to NOT go out without ear defenders.
    I had arranged to meet my girl at a bar in Kips Bay, not a very long walk from her apartment, where I was.
    Being Mr. Franco/English Macho, and not having ear defenders anyway, I just thought screw that, let's go.
    Somewhere between Broadway and Park Ave. I felt like Jack Frost personified, my ears were the colour of a British phone box when I almost fell through the door of the bar.
    When she stopped laughing, my girl called me a dumb Limey prick, justified I guess.
  • rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    And???

Why is America always treated a special snowflake?

Oh dear can't the anti-american bias just rest for one day? We are talking about weather.

EDIT and in before the "whoosh" comment. I did indeed see what you did there.
  • planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    A few more pics. The pic taken in the car park is one of the strangest photos I've seen.

http://qz.com/346991/americas-cold-snap-in-epic-pictures/?utm_source=nextdraft&utm_medium=email