Options

Quizeum

2»

Comments

• Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't seen it yet, mainly because the title irritates me as it sounds like something a group of pretentious students might think up. In view of the comments here I may have a look.
  • Options
    philoolaphiloola Posts: 3,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking at the credits, it was very much Griff Rhys Jones' "baby"
  • Options
    snoweyowlsnoweyowl Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it was better than the channel4 effort with "I know nuffin" Tony Robinson. There were good people on it too. May improve.
  • Options
    clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Andy2 wrote: »
    I haven't seen it yet, mainly because the title irritates me as it sounds like something a group of pretentious students might think up. In view of the comments here I may have a look.

That pretty much sums the whole programme up tbh
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    Brilliant - really enjoyed it.

If this is not the programme for you don't watch it- go back to your brainless daytime dross.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cellomad wrote: »

If this is not the programme for you don't watch it- go back to your brainless daytime dross.

You have no idea what programs anyone else enjoys. That was an ignorant statement.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I gave up half way through........it all looked too forced.
    Whilst some of the artefacts were interesting it was obvious that there was a lot of pretending to guess the answers when the experts mostly already knew. Also it seemed that Grff's autocue only had to be read if they needed clues.

It looked like the type of programme I would enjoy but I too switched over before the end. It was too much like the Griff Rhys-Jones show and it didn't seem quite right for him to be stating all these interesting facts, as he not naturally knowledgeable like Stephen Fry.
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cellomad wrote: »

What an ignorant statement. So you think that anyone who doesn't like this rather contrived and pretentious show MUST be a fan of 'daytime dross' Wow, your world must be a very black and white place.
    Actually, we watched it on i-Player in the mid-afternoon, and it seemed quite well suited to that slot, much like some of the old BBC quiz shows about music and antiques. Like a poster above, I think the content was OK but the whole thing felt forced and rather 'faux cerebral'.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    It looked like the type of programme I would enjoy but I too switched over before the end. It was too much like the Griff Rhys-Jones show and it didn't seem quite right for him to be stating all these interesting facts, as he not naturally knowledgeable like Stephen Fry.

Fry only appears to be 'naturally knowledgeable', he frequently talks complete rubbish on Qi when he diverges from the script.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The very thought of watching anything in which Griff Rhys-Jones and his "unfunny voices" appears, or for that matter Stephen Fry, fills me with dread, so I avoid both like the plague.
    But I'm sure many will like it.
  • Options
    Paul_CullotyPaul_Culloty Posts: 564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure whether the format is growing on me, or the shakeup of the panel helped, but definitely seemed less priggish and more informal than last week's debut.
  • Options
    LordBobbinLordBobbin Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    soulboy77 wrote: »

Griff Rhys-Jones is actually a very smart and erudite chap, so I'm not sure why you think he's not 'naturally knowledgeable like Stephen Fry'. The latter goes out of his way to portray himself as some sort of intellectual, but that doesn't make him the superior mind.

Not that I'm saying Griff R-J knows all those facts off the top of his head - he hasn't spent many years as a professional antiques/art bod, after all. But I suspect he's no less knowledgeable than any other modern 'game show' host - Paxman, VCM, Fry etc.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    A 2.1 in History and English from Cambridge seems a good base to be knowledgeable enough to host this kind of programme.
  • Options
    JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    LordBobbin wrote: »
    Not that I'm saying Griff R-J knows all those facts off the top of his head - he hasn't spent many years as a professional antiques/art bod, after all. But I suspect he's no less knowledgeable than any other modern 'game show' host - Paxman, VCM, Fry etc.

Yes, but Griff just comes over as smug tw*t.

He has developed this aura of being an intellectual, but we all can do that with prompts, autocue, reading a few books, trundling up and down in a boat [with proper sailors to do the work] and having a faux intellectual English accent.

Dara leaves him standing, but does not feel the need to prove it
  • Options
    SallysallySallysally Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    I have just watched a recording of this and was terribly, terribly disappointed. I love being in the company of smart people - but these were not really allowed to be smart. It all seemed rushed and just a vehicle for GRJ - who I have decided is pretty much NOT a decent quiz show host.

The idea of staging a quiz in a museum is actually quite compelling and in the right hands could be really interesting - perhaps a bit like that programme where Anneka Rice leapt about solving clues which led to an ultimate prize, but in a museum and not outside.
    Won't bother with it again.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm "seriously concerned" that GRJ has been given another programme, It'll be "funny voices from Africa."

Here he thinks he is, "being funny in a photo."

http://www.itv.com/presscentre/ep3week17/slow-train-through-africa-griff-rhys-jones

There was me hoping at the beginning of this year, that we'd finally got rid of him.

(Note for pedants, the speech marks around the two words are to indicate, I really don't give a monkey's, as I won't watch him).
  • Options
    beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member
    A horrible misfire. I've no idea who the target audience once. All the juvenile giggling about 'members' and 'little men' was risible.

If I hadn't already seen it being promoted as a BBC Four show, going off the format and the advertising I'd have thought it was a well meaning, but ultimately flawed and poorly execute attempt at disguising a show about history as a gameshow so kids would watch it.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    beemoh wrote: »
    If I hadn't already seen it being promoted as a BBC Four show, going off the format and the advertising I'd have thought it was a well meaning, but ultimately flawed and poorly execute attempt at disguising a show about history as a gameshow so kids would watch it.

I don't think they are aiming at kids.

It shows potential and hopefully gets a chance to settle down.