Has PHOTOSHOP had it's day?

Don't get me wrong, I've tried the latest PHOTOSHOP CS12 and downloaded PHOTOSHOP CS2 (it was free and legal) but during my time on the 'net, PHOTOSHOP seems to be the be all and end all of photo editing software. I've seen what can be done (Now, with enough experience, it's easy to fake a UFO/photograph of the Loch Ness Monster and even edit photographs to create falsified incriminating photographs which is blatant abuse) with it, I'm not anti-PHOTOSHOP or jealous because I can only afford Paintshop Pro. But it wouldn''t surprise me if somebody was working on something better, easier to use and a lot cheaper than PHOTOSHOP,

Comments

• UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could always try the free open source equivalent GIMP.

You need to be a huge arse software manufacturer to be able to release and support the vast range of filters available to PS users though as I understand it.

Unless a competitor were compatible with that vast library of existing software it's not going to be able to pull an Excel vs Lotus 1-2-3 or a Word vs WordPerfect style coup and Adobe aren't about to let anyone else have access to their proprietary formats is my guess.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For some of us, this subject is quite old.....many years ago even when photoshop was in single digits, people said it was too expensive and that maybe paintshop pro or other budget software might take over. It didn't happen all those years ago, and it won't happen now. Btw, I remember also wondering if the same sort of change might happen with other expensive "pro" software...,,,,such as adobe illustrator.....and that didn't happen either.

If you can't afford photoshop, get photoshop elements instead....Adobe are aware of the costs of the full version and that's the only reason they make their own budget product. So there's no need to buy a rivals product.
  • AnonimusAnonimus Posts: 5,670
    Forum Member
    David (2) wrote: »
    For some of us, this subject is quite old.....many years ago even when photoshop was in single digits, people said it was too expensive and that maybe paintshop pro or other budget software might take over. It didn't happen all those years ago, and it won't happen now. Btw, I remember also wondering if the same sort of change might happen with other expensive "pro" software...,,,,such as adobe illustrator.....and that didn't happen either.

If you can't afford photoshop, get photoshop elements instead....Adobe are aware of the costs of the full version and that's the only reason they make their own budget product. So there's no need to buy a rivals product.

Suppose you've got a poihere. It'll take some doing to knock PS off it's perch. I use PSP myself (NEVER let me loose with photo editng software and who says you have to do normal editing with it?) and Xara Photo and Grapgic Designer series software (PSP's more aimed at the photography enthsthusiast).
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i`ve never used photoshop, too expensive and i get the results i want elsewhere.
  • The MartianThe Martian Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Photoshop is growing and will continue to.
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    David (2) wrote: »

Strangely I started many years ago using Paint Shop Pro and got so used to it that when I did try photoshop, I couldn't get on with it.

Today I do lots of photo manipulations in Paint Shop for my friends and they still say "Oh you photoshopped that!" - Seems Photoshop has entered the common language to mean any photo manipulation regardless of what software is used.
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the most important reason pro graphic artists use photoshop is its colour handling and specifically outputting CMYK with embedded colour profile - essential for print. GIMP and the like don't come close.

I use it every day, along with lightroom, to prepare images for print. Images then go into indesign or illustrator so photoshop is just one part of a process and it would take a lot to persuade me to move.
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The full version of Photoshop you've looked at isn't really aimed at a home market. Or that's not Adobes primary market, its primarily aimed at professionals, hence why its expensive and has a learning curve.

It won't be going anywhere any time soon either because there isn't much else on the market that can compare to it for professional use. Software such as Paint Shop Pro and GIMP are fine for the home market and businesses with simpler needs but they don't really stand up to it when you get into professional fields that require more heavyweight tools.
  • mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Photoshop is the most sophisticated graphic editing product and it would take a lot to dethrone it
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bspace wrote: »
    One of the most important reason pro graphic artists use photoshop is its colour handling and specifically outputting CMYK with embedded colour profile - essential for print. GIMP and the like don't come close.

I use it every day, along with lightroom, to prepare images for print. Images then go into indesign or illustrator so photoshop is just one part of a process and it would take a lot to persuade me to move.

Indeed we could enter into a topic about cmyk output and prev files, dropped into page layout such as quark, or into a drawing prog such as illustrator, but this will go way over the heads of most people reading this.

In this age of quick reward, the idea of image touch up is simply too time consuming for most people.

And, also I found that just because someone can use Facebook or Twitter, it doesn't make them fully, or even mostly PC literate. A knock on effect of this is that people despite using a computer don't believe or understand how photos can be edited or faked, eg removing people from a picture, as it they were never there.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I find tragic is you now can't trust any photo on the internet as being genuine. And I don't just mean the odd bit of touching up.. that's always been around. I mean full on modifying of photos. Removing of items.. adding of items.. even adjusting photos of people to adjust their body proportions. Yes I'm talking boobies. That makes me sad. Especially as you can't tell the photo has been changed. You could in the past because photoshop wasn't perfect but now it's scary how good the modifications look. Usually the only giveaway is if they accidentally bent an item in the background or something.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use Photoshop CS6 which came foc via a mate (;-)). I'm no expert with it at all and only familiar with the basics in using it, mainly for cropping and erasing unwanted parts...ie an unavoidable electric pylon cable which ruins an otherwise cracking photo.

What i do secretly admire though are those fake photos, often celebrities. Most are either quite funny, or a bit 'naughty'! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I find tragic is you now can't trust any photo on the internet as being genuine. And I don't just mean the odd bit of touching up.. that's always been around. I mean full on modifying of photos. Removing of items.. adding of items.. even adjusting photos of people to adjust their body proportions. Yes I'm talking boobies. That makes me sad. Especially as you can't tell the photo has been changed. You could in the past because photoshop wasn't perfect but now it's scary how good the modifications look. Usually the only giveaway is if they accidentally bent an item in the background or something.
    Magazines have long been doing that though and it's no secret. After all what model wants that pesky zit showing or crows feet? What is ridiculous though are those photographs of an already slim model being made even more slim to the point of looking silly.
    Forum Member
    maybe i`m old fashioned but i really prefer my photos to come out of the camera more less how i want them bar minor tweaks.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like it's time to post that old Dove advert about digital manipulation again.

http://youtu.be/iYhCn0jf46U
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maybe i`m old fashioned but i really prefer my photos to come out of the camera more less how i want them bar minor tweaks.
    Afraid those days are history. I've still got a fully working Canon SLR 35mm body, worth..........peanuts! Obviously it's never been used for years so i don't know why i've got it. Posterity? Collectability? :confused:

Even a box full of unused rolls of 35mm film which is yet more junk for the rubbish bin!
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Afraid those days are history. I've still got a fully working Canon SLR 35mm body, worth..........peanuts! Obviously it's never been used for years so i don't know why i've got it. Posterity? Collectability? :confused:

Even a box full of unused rolls of 35mm film which is yet more junk for the rubbish bin!

they`re very much not history for me, though i don`t use film, i like to create any "effects" in camera and the only shots i play about with are the "mistakes" when i`m bored.

i`d LOVE to have a go at film photography, there`s something seductive about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they`re very much not history for me, though i don`t use film.
    Oh....i thought you meant roll film cameras! :blush:

So you have modernised then! :D
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Oh....i thought you meant roll film cameras! :blush:

So you have modernised then! :D

i didn`t pick up a camera until about 10 years ago and i started with one of these

http://www.amazon.com/KB-Gear-JamCam-Digital-Camera/dp/B00004YBVE

i got some shots i really liked straight away and i was hooked.

:D
  • AnonimusAnonimus Posts: 5,670
    Forum Member

I use PSP and mess about with my own photos for a laugh. But I'm against it's use in spite and revenge by creating 'incriminating' evidence by superimposing a mate's head over somebody else's for blackmail and posting the photos online. Unfortunately there's nothing to say the software shouldn't be used for such things.
  • shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, it's still very much the industry standard. There are lots of alternatives, it's just that they're not as good.
  • Ann_TennaAnn_Tenna Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    I use the free version of Photo Serif's Photo Plus.

It is so simple to use, and it suits my photochopping needs perfectly.

To add to edited pics, I use a myriad of different sites, such as Pizap, Lunapic, Ribbet, etc.

I like Online Image Editor to add text to gifs, etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like painting in photoshop, havent used it since I left art college.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people only used the word "Photoshopped" because Photoshop is the most well-known image altering software. I, myself, would admit that if I saw a comment saying that an image had been Gimped or whatever, I'd be a bit stumped at first as to what they meant.
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people only used the word "Photoshopped" because Photoshop is the most well-known image altering software. I, myself, would admit that if I saw a comment saying that an image had been Gimped or whatever, I'd be a bit stumped at first as to what they meant.

Probably as in Hoover and Biro.