gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If my provider gave me even say 10 mms per month I wouldnt need another app
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    Even if not unlimited most people get a fair bit. even vodafone Freedom pack gives you 300 of the things. that is a lot of texting.

True, some people may use more than that and then I suppose a chat app is useful.

Never tried a messaging app, but I doubt it is as easy as to use as SMS.

Well i do so am telling you it is. Why would you think it isn't out of curiosity?

I open SMS on phone, type message, send.

I open whatsapp, type message, send.

What's different?
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    The plural of Text is Texts. If you eat 3 apples you wouldn't say "I've eaten 3 apple". It's a bit like when people say "my mate text me" instead of the correct "my mate texted me". Sorry but it's just lazy! :p

I know it is correct, but it just don't sound right :) i normally say , my mate sent me a text.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    You never fail to disappoint, noise747 ;)

Strange, I don't remember typing that, oh, I know why I don't remember, because I did not type it.

Will you stop putting stuff in quotes making out it I am saying it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    If my provider gave me even say 10 mms per month I wouldnt need another app

That is or was one of my problems with contracts. MMs is extra, well it is with mine, not that I use MMS much.

Of cause the one problem with chat apps is that the person you sending the message to also have to have the same app.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Well i do so am telling you it is. Why would you think it isn't out of curiosity?

I open SMS on phone, type message, send.

I open whatsapp, type message, send.

What's different?

You don't having to sign in to use SMs, no doubt whatsapp need you to have a account, and then sign into the app to use it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of cause the one problem with chat apps is that the person you sending the message to also have to have the same app.

Yeah and ones I'd normally send pics to haven't got the app. Basically I now dont send them pics. Well tell a lie I email the pics if I can be bothered. I just refuse to pay 35p extra for them especially when I go no where near my allowances on other parts of my contract
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    You don't having to sign in to use SMs, no doubt whatsapp need you to have a account, and then sign into the app to use it.

One you sign in that's it. Same as facebook etc.

So, again, not hard is it. Although i never expected you to understand it since you argue over the pointlessness of just about everything....
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, you need an account but once set up, then you just fire up the app, the same as messages.
    I use it, as I have a friend in Australia and it's a lot cheaper to send an app message than a sms.
    That does the beg the question of why not just send an email; probably because using a mobile device is the first port of call.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    One you sign in that's it. Same as facebook etc.

So, again, not hard is it. Although i never expected you to understand it since you argue over the pointlessness of just about everything....

Fair enough, but as I said another account to deal with.
    tealady wrote: »
    Yes, you need an account but once set up, then you just fire up the app, the same as messages.
    I use it, as I have a friend in Australia and it's a lot cheaper to send an app message than a sms.
    That does the beg the question of why not just send an email; probably because using a mobile device is the first port of call.

As I said, I can can understand people using it if it save them money, but apart from that I can't see the point. I think it is just another gimmick that people have latched onto like that other app that allows you to take pictures and modify it so it looks crap. I can't remember the name.

i think i will stay with SMS. i had a text from someone a couple of weeks ago asking me to put on this whatsapp, I replied what is wrong with SMS? since i know for a start they got unlimited. their reply was nothing really. So i think I will stick with SMS.

i won't know who is using whatsapp and who is using SMS, it would get very complicated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    Yeah and ones I'd normally send pics to haven't got the app. Basically I now dont send them pics. Well tell a lie I email the pics if I can be bothered. I just refuse to pay 35p extra for them especially when I go no where near my allowances on other parts of my contract

I send pics by email or at a push facebook. if they are too big and take too much data then I wait until I get home.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another reason for these apps and I'm not trying to convince anyone to use it, is to avoid roaming charges when abroad. You hook it up to wifi and get to text your friends and family. Yeah you could also email or fb.
    The problem I find with these apps though is that no sooner have you installed one, and it seems to be that some other app is the in thing instead. I remember installing what's app and then someone saying. No, you want viber. I actually have both and to be honest never used them in earnest.
    The main reason I haven't so far is that im on O2 and when I was abroad I used TUgo.
    As to what's app etc. When you set them up im fairly sure you just sent it your phone number and it sent you a code back. After this it runs in background and if someone sends you something it just pops up. You dont log in again when you want to use it.
  • Options
    GeowitchGeowitch Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    I've just been in Spain on holiday for 10 days and didn't want to pay Vodafone £3 per day to use my UK allowance. Whats App was perfect as we had wifi and you can send pictures. When you install it it tells you which of your contacts use it.
  • Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    close friends/partner, whatsapp, everyone else gets a boring sms. sms's seem somehow cold & the smilies are shite.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    close friends/partner, whatsapp, everyone else gets a boring sms. sms's seem somehow cold & the smilies are shite.

They do the job, still at least these days most people don't send text that looks like a code. These days a lot of people use English.