Which celebrities have had the biggest fall from grace in history?

Comments

• Nattie01Nattie01 Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Honourable mentions go to Todd Bridges and Dana Plato both formerly of Different Strokes Fame.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fatty Arbuckle by a country mile
    When I saw the title of the thread that was the first name I thought of!

His was the first name I thought of as well.

A very sad sequence of events which totally destroyed the career of an innocent man.
  • GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,491
    Forum Member
    Nattie01 wrote: »
    Honourable mentions go to Todd Bridges and Dana Plato both formerly of Different Strokes Fame.

What'chu talkin ' 'bout, Nattie?

bryemycaz wrote: »
    Michael Jackson could be considered a candidate. While he was found not guilty of crimes against Children. Some mud did stick to him and many in this country still think he "Got away with it". For them his admission of sleeping with children is enough to condem him.

The Bobby Driscoll story is very sad. I thought he was great a Jim Hawkins in the Disney version of Treasure Island, Playing against another great actor who fell from grace due to drink. Robert Newton, the definitive Long John Silver.

Talking of Peter Pan we wait to see if someone asssociated with that name will have a massive fall from grace. However we can't talk about that at the moment.

God, I forgot about that one. His reputation, is teetering on the edge of a, er precipice. :p
  • tszujmetszujme Posts: 1,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Angus Deayton
    He didn't do anything illegal, but his activities offscreen were in direct conflict with his TV persona. It's just that his private life escapades didn't fit the persona he had built up for television.
    I honestly never understood that. He was famous for hosting a very adult TV show that often talked frankly and in detail about sex, adultery, drugs, etc. There was a running joke about him sleeping with a panellist's wife. The official HIGNFY book (which predates his firing) even has a photoshopped photo of him receiving a blowjob while in the middle of presenting the show!

The BBC's stated reason for sacking him was that it would be embarrassing to have him doing quiz questions about politicians having sex scandals when he'd had one himself because it could lead to panellists making jokes at his expense, but he and the panellists were constantly taking the piss out of themselves and each other.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tszujme wrote: »
    I honestly never understood that. He was famous for hosting a very adult TV show that often talked frankly and in detail about sex, adultery, drugs, etc. There was a running joke about him sleeping with a panellist's wife. The official HIGNFY book (which predates his firing) even has a photoshopped photo of him receiving a blowjob while in the middle of presenting the show!

The BBC's stated reason for sacking him was that it would be embarrassing to have him doing quiz questions about politicians having sex scandals when he'd had one himself because it could lead to panellists making jokes at his expense, but he and the panellists were constantly taking the piss out of themselves and each other.

I think Paul and Ian didn't want him there, as they felt any guest who came on and had the mick taken out of them. Would then retort with what Angus did, it could have made the show tiresome and Angus would also be seen as a bit of a hypocrite.
  • DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Errol Flynn too.

Jean Harlow though that depends a bit on which version of her death you believe.

William Desmond Taylor director rather than a star though.

Peg Entwistle which was a big fall in more ways than one.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Paul and Ian didn't want him there, as they felt any guest who came on and had the mick taken out of them. Would then retort with what Angus did, it could have made the show tiresome and Angus would also be seen as a bit of a hypocrite.

I don't think he and Paul Merton had ever gotten on either.

Looking back it's hard to see why John Leslie's career has remained in the doldrums when other people cleared of similar allegations like Craig Charles, William Roache and Michael Le Vell have had little trouble resuming theirs.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm also a bit dubious about their reasoning. In my post I was speaking more about the official explanation given as to why Angus Deayton couldn't continue.
    Personally I don't find it a very convincing one, and that it had more to do with snobbery and how the BBC perceive their own image.
    After all Angus Deayton was effectively playing a role as the presenter. So what does it matter?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They may say that, but Merton and Hislop didn't really need to point out that Deayton's position was untenable. It's not as if their opinion was based on actual evidence, their point was made almost immediately about what they think the show might be like in the future. They could have quite easily supported him if they had wanted to and he would still have kept his job.
    As far as I'm aware Paul Merton especially didn't like Angus Deayton. I'm not sure if that's true or not, but it would be interesting to know what goes on behind the scenes.

Personally I think Deayton was the best presenter by far and having him as a constant presence would have been better than the chopping and changing of guest presenters who are variable in quality. And this is an opinion based on the evidence of having actually watched many shows since Deayton was fired in hindsight, not by making presumptions about the future which nobody knows.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    I don't think he and Paul Merton had ever gotten on either.

Looking back it's hard to see why John Leslie's career has remained in the doldrums when other people cleared of similar allegations like Craig Charles, William Roache and Michael Le Vell have had little trouble resuming theirs.

I remember at the time when he was fired from This Morning that it wasn't just about the insinuation of what he might have done, but that it was also about his supposedly wild partying offscreen behaviour in which the tabloids got their teeth into and posted photos of him apparently taking cocaine. So his behaviour in his private life didn't inspire much confidence in his employers to the point where they felt comfortable giving him the benefit of the doubt with the accusation. He just looked like too much trouble for them so they just didn't bother with him any more.

Theoretically he could still make a comeback I suppose. In fact I'm surprised that he hasn't appeared on Celebrity Big Brother yet. Maybe he may be a contestant on the next one. But as I said in my post prior to this one we don't know what goes on behind the scenes and what is said.
    Whatever the truth behind the matter I think it's very wrong for somebody to be judged by the media and for matters like this to be left up in the air. Things like this utterly ruin people's lives.
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    Michael Barrymore

Mel Gibson (I'm not sure if he has actually "fallen from grace" but he deserves to.)
  • BodyElectricBodyElectric Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    In 1949 he was praised by critics for his brilliant performance as a boy who witnesses a murder in The "Window".

I've not heard of this film before. I'll be sure to see if I can track down a copy. Thanks, Walter, I always find your posts so informative and interesting.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Angus Deayton
    He didn't do anything illegal, but his activities offscreen were in direct conflict with his TV persona. It's just that his private life escapades didn't fit the persona he had built up for television.

Tiger Woods

Mike Tyson

There was a Coronation Street star who some of you will remember called Peter Adamson who played Len Fairclough who got arrested for a sexual crime in a public swimming pool involving two children, of which he was found innocent. But he had drinking problems and said something which raised doubt over the trial, so he was under scrutiny again, but no further charges were made. But he also got into trouble for selling stories about other cast members from Coronation Street.
    They just ended up sacking him.

Leslie Grantham who played Dirty Den in Eastenders.
    Wanking on a webcam.
    Seriously.

And another soap star, Bruce Jones who played Len Battersby in Coronation Street. Ended up leaving the show due to behaviour connected to his alcohol problems.
    He's actually a decent actor and I remember him being great in the Ken Loach film 'Raining Stones'.

What is it with soap stars? Do they get bored with the daily 9 to 5 grind of doing the same job all their lives and need to do something dangerous or risky to fulfill something?

Another poster named him but I think John Leslie is one of the biggest falls from grace we've seen.

Not to mention the EE star who was sacked for flogging story lines to the tabloids - she sailed off into the sunset.
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,188
    Forum Member
    I've not heard of this film before. I'll be sure to see if I can track down a copy. Thanks, Walter, I always find your posts so informative and interesting.

Thanks very much, you may have already seen it, but I discuss Classic Movies and their stars in more detail in the Movies section. :)
  • tszujmetszujme Posts: 1,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I didn't know that, about them not getting along. The official reason sounds so stupid, since it (the possibility of creating a running joke involving people taking the piss out of his sex life) is literally exactly what the show was already like. If people didn't find the constant "Angus is shagging Paul's wife" jokes or the constant "Coopers Creosote" jokes about Paul's ad-whoring tedious, why would guests taking the piss out of a sex scandal be any different? Seems like it would fit the nature of the show very well imo.
  • viva.espanaviva.espana Posts: 8,500
    Forum Member
    I didn't know that, about them not getting along. The official reason sounds so stupid, since it (the possibility of creating a running joke involving people taking the piss out of his sex life) is literally exactly what the show was already like. If people didn't find the constant "Angus is shagging Paul's wife" jokes or the constant "Coopers Creosote" jokes about Paul's ad-whoring tedious, why would guests taking the piss out of a sex scandal be any different? Seems like it would fit the nature of the show very well imo.

I disagree. Much as I liked him - and the energy between the three of them - Angus, in the context of HIGNFY's remit, would have been the perpetual elephant in the room and it would have just become tedious and awkward for not just Ian and Paul but also the guest panellists. It would have compromised the show.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Talking of Peter Pan we wait to see if someone asssociated with that name will have a massive fall from grace. However we can't talk about that at the moment.

Mr Webb? If worst comes to worst, we know where he's bound....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ALD-rI8Q08
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Not to mention the EE star who was sacked for flogging story lines to the tabloids - she sailed off into the sunset.

And another soap star who went off the rails Daniella Westbrook.
  • muddipawsmuddipaws Posts: 3,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marilyn Monroe, sacked by 20th Century Fox, reinstated to launch her career back on track, sacked again and shortly after died
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    John Landis was an A-List director in the 1980s but you never hear of him now. Even after the horrific accident on the set of the Twilight Zone movie which caused the deaths of an actor and two children he continued working on big projects like Clue for a few years, but then nothing. What happened?
    Steven Spielberg broke off his friendship with Landis, and I heard rumours at the time that Spielberg quietly made sure he was never employed as a director again.
    cazzz wrote: »
    John Leslie

Having met the guy before he was famous, it didn't surprise me at all.
  • Marie_SaleMarie_Sale Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    When I saw the title of the thread that was the first name I thought of!

Me too.
  • BodyElectricBodyElectric Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    Steven Spielberg broke off his friendship with Landis, and I heard rumours at the time that Spielberg quietly made sure he was never employed as a director again.

Interesting!

I'm just amazed Landis was able to work even for a short time after the Twilight Zone accident. Reading about his behaviour when it came to concealing the fact that he was illegally employing child actors was shocking.
  • GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amanda Bynes, completely off the rails now.

Another soap star is Tracy Shaw, she was always in the papers during the late 90s and early 2000s with her alcohol, drug and eating disorder problems clearly being conveyed in the press. I'm not sure if it was all true but she's never had a decent role since she left Coronation Street all those years ago and she's practically faded into obscurity now.
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But she's done loads since then so has hardly 'fallen from grace'.
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Please, could someone tell me who that is? :confused: