Virgin broadband only - what's the deal?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 937
Forum Member
✭✭
I live in a Virgin cabled area, on an urban estate. Virgin regularly send me promotional material to get me to switch to them. I quite fancy cable broadband, but I don't want nor need a landline, nor do I watch TV, so I'm not really in the market for a 'bundle'. Virgin are very careful in their brochures to note that you don't need a landline for their broadband, while at the same time never listing a price for broadband-only service.

This leads me to suspect that they don't offer a decent deal on broadband alone.

I had a search on the Virgin Media forum, but the most relevant threads there concern Virgin customers seeking to cut down their bundle, and even worse, the forum discourages discussion of tariffs users are on.

Virgin's cable already comes into the house, and I don't need set-up help or support. I don't even need a cable router from them, I've got a better one than their standard kit sitting in a box somewhere.

I have two questions:
  • What are people paying Virgin for cable broadband only?
  • What is the best way to approach Virgin to get a decent broadband-only deal?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is the price online for 30Mb and you will see without a phone line it is a few pound cheaper.

http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadband/up-to-30mb.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have seen this. £28,50 per month doesn't strike me as much of a deal. You're just replying for the sake of posting something!

£21/m for 10Mb broadband only doesn't appeal much either. I'm looking for more subtle help than you are offering, I think.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're unlikely to get a deal if you're taking out a single service. With one service, the price is what it is and there's no real room for haggling. Think of it this way, walk into a shop and say "I don't like the sound of 60p for a mars bar, how about I give you 50?" They will likely say no. If you ask them "60p for one? Two for a quid then?" you've got a better chance. I've never managed to get new goods on their own for below ticket price though.

There's a few offers on a Quidco with multiple bundles. Add in the cashback and it might be cheaper to take it out with the phone line and cancel that at the earliest opportunity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure I agree. Plenty of people get deals from Sky despite only having satellite service. It's true that they are already Sky customers though.

I don't think your analogy is too strong either. Some service suppliers, having already paid for their infrastructure and already taken on their operating costs, reason that getting something is better than nothing, and there's always the possibility that you might upgrade (unlikely in my case). Nothing in a shop works like this, let alone Mars bars.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you've hit the nail on the head there with the deals for single service, they're offered to existing customers who are about to leave. This is because the cost of acquiring a customer is more than the cost of retaining one. It's standard business practice to entice customers to stay with whatever you can and entice them to join by getting them to sign up to as much as possible.

There's nothign stopping you phoning Virgin and asking if they can do some kind of deal but the likelihood is that you will be told the price is what it is and take it or leave it.

Perhaps physical products wasn't the best analogy, but bear in mind that R&D isn't over with the infrastructure as more is constantly being added (100meg rollout at the moment, 250 meg being looked at and that's not counting the "hub" services they're promoting recently that nobody is bothering to use)

Only think that springs to mind would be the refer a friend service if you already know someone on virgin:
    http://www.virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia/connect-a-friend/
    or possibly cashback sites like quidco:
    http://www.quidco.com/virgin-media/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks, that's an idea, I do know neighbours already on Virgin.

Virgin's cost of 'acquiring' me would be next to zero...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    Anyone know if the topcash back is paid on one service i.e broadband or do you have to buy the tripple pack. Never seems very clear? thanks
  • dave_dphdave_dph Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    loopie wrote: »
    Anyone know if the topcash back is paid on one service i.e broadband or do you have to buy the tripple pack. Never seems very clear? thanks

I know two people who took just broadband and quidco paid the full £150 cashback to each of them. Service was connected September '09