Zachary Quinto 'outed as gay by editor'

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,373
    Forum Member
    Don't really get why its breaking news.... o.m.g hollywood actor has admitted he's gay! ... hollywood in gay shocker.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    Yeah, he's been all-but-out for a while. I just don't think he wanted to "announce it", which he didn't in the end but felt it necessary to be clearer in light of the recent suicide of a gay kid in the US:
    when i found out that jamey rodemeyer killed himself - i felt deeply troubled. but when i found out that jamey rodemeyer had made an it gets better video only months before taking his own life - i felt indescribable despair. i also made an it gets better video last year - in the wake of the senseless and tragic gay teen suicides that were sweeping the nation at the time. but in light of jamey's death - it became clear to me in an instant that living a gay life without publicly acknowledging it - is simply not enough to make any significant contribution to the immense work that lies ahead on the road to complete equality. our society needs to recognize the unstoppable momentum toward unequivocal civil equality for every gay lesbian bisexual and transgendered citizen of this country. gay kids need to stop killing themselves because they are made to feel worthless by cruel and relentless bullying. parents need to teach their children principles of respect and acceptance. we are witnessing an enormous shift of collective consciousness throughout the world. we are at the precipice of great transformation within our culture and government. i believe in the power of intention to change the landscape of our society - and it is my intention to live an authentic life of compassion and integrity and action. jamey rodemeyer's life changed mine. and while his death only makes me wish that i had done this sooner - i am eternally grateful to him for being the catalyst for change within me. now i can only hope to serve as the same catalyst for even one other person in this world. that - i believe - is all that we can ask of ourselves and of each other.

- He posted that to his blog earlier.

I really fancy him, not going to lie.
  • Chihiro94Chihiro94 Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was an open secret anyway?
  • grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only 'problem' with a openly gay actor in Hollywood would be his perceived lack of marketability (by the studio) - what actor's do in their personal life is of nobody else's concern.

He was very good in Star Trek, seems like a fine actor, as a left leaning gay democrat actor - I wonder does he yearn to be a rights activist?
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pet1986 wrote: »
    I think the days of people being "outed" and it being shocking are long gone, who gives a rats arse these days? :)

I would agree to a point but there still seem to be some people who have this bizarre and overwhelming need to know if someone is or isn't. I've seen threads on here wondering if Simon Cowell and Louis Walsh are gay or not.

I really don't know why it bugs some people to the extent that they have to know ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    He's gay and yet has eyebrows like that!!? The shame....
  • justpootlingjustpootling Posts: 3,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can usually tell a gay man by his dress sense. Going by that, Mr Quinto has been batting for the other team for quite some time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anagram1x wrote: »
    He's gay and yet has eyebrows like that!!? The shame....

You don't get to play Spock without eyebrows. The ability to raise one independently of the other is a pre-req for the role.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can usually tell a gay man by his dress sense. Going by that, Mr Quinto has been batting for the other team for quite some time.

I've known gay men who often dress very chavvy and some who dress like slobs. That's not a good way of telling someone is gay.

Although the rumours for Quinto have been about for a while now, I know he was a gay rights activist and 'gaydar' just assumed he could be gay but left the jury out until he said so, which is now.
  • mirrorimagemirrorimage Posts: 4,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would agree to a point but there still seem to be some people who have this bizarre and overwhelming need to know if someone is or isn't. I've seen threads on here wondering if Simon Cowell and Louis Walsh are gay or not.

I really don't know why it bugs some people to the extent that they have to know ?

To some, a symbol of total acceptance will be when nobody asks whether somebody is gay or not, as it doesn't matter. To others, perhaps that total acceptance will be when people can ask without fear of rebuke from those who think they shouldn't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To some, a symbol of total acceptance will be when nobody asks whether somebody is gay or not, as it doesn't matter. To others, perhaps that total acceptance will be when people can ask without fear of rebuke from those who think they shouldn't.

I think pondering on someone's sexuality is just another part of celeb gossip and the showbiz stuff. Akin to who's dating who and who's marriage is falling apart.

It'd be nice in the future when the gossip changes from "is he gay?" to "who's he dating?" and the gender doesn't matter.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flaxseed wrote: »
    Don't really get why its breaking news.... o.m.g hollywood actor has admitted he's gay! ... hollywood in gay shocker.

I'm surprised you feel that way. It is quite a shocker actually - how many openly gay Hollywood actors are there? The reason why it's such a big topic of conversation on this forum is that actors generally don't come out. Instead, they either don't talk about it or actively try to cover it up.

This is pretty big news, and it's great news.
  • The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    Am I too late to be the one who does the "Spocksucker" joke?

Set phasers to bum?

Oh forget it...
  • broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can usually tell a gay man by his dress sense.e[/i].

What a cliche. Can you also spot them by shopping at Barneys and listening to Liza.

Gay men and women come in all shapes and sizes. They are slobs and scruffy just as straight people are.
  • attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't find him attractive so I don't care that he's gay :p Joke...

Seriously, good for him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is so damn fine, a complete dish if ever there were one. And while I know that I will never get a slice of that pie, Im just glad he isnt being wasted with a women. No offence ladies :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forget Spock and Uhura, I want to see Spock and Sulu! :D
  • Launch FanLaunch Fan Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
    Forget Spock and Uhura, I want to see Spock and Sulu! :D

That reminds me! Never gonna happen. ST creator - now passed away - Gene Roddenberry famously said:

"Medical science (in the future) will have evolved to a point where gene design and repair could be corrected prior to birth or even conception, correcting problems related to hereditary disease, along with hormone irregularities that cause, for example, homosexuality."

So no gays in Star Trek's universe and JJ Abrams is sticking to the Roddenberry handbook.

This was back in the 60s mind, and I think he got attacked for suggesting it was hormonal, as opposed to "bad parenting" or whatever wacky thought process they had then.

He also caused outrage with the first inter-racial kiss on a TV show. 60s sounded fun :eek:
  • PhoenixblissPhoenixbliss Posts: 9,478
    Forum Member
    Im so pleased and I think the reasons he gave were emotionally very touching and quite moral.

I just wish more celebs would follow his example-especially in the UK.Its got to be a personal choice of course but I really hope the day of people hiding in fear and the era of beards comes to an end sooner rather than later.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    What a cliche. Can you also spot them by shopping at Barneys and listening to Liza.

Gay men and women come in all shapes and sizes. They are slobs and scruffy just as straight people are.

Yeah. This isn't the 1950s, when gay and lesbians had to
    hide their sexuality and give secret signals to alert other
    gays to their sexuality. There are gay men who love
    beer and soccer and there are straight men who love
    musicals and fashion-real people don't fit into tabloid stereotypes.
  • Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    He is a great actor, enjoyed him in Star Track etc. If his coming out helps any young boys who are struggling with being gay, then it was worth it. I still feel in Hollywood it is very risky to admit your sexuality. It limits the roles you get. Zachary often plays very odd roles so hopefully his career will not be affected. I cannot imagine what it must be like for a young teenager in an American High School who are usually football and dating crazy, trying to accept that they are gay.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I too late to be the one who does the "Spocksucker" joke?

Set phasers to bum?

Oh forget it...

:D LMAO loves it! And oh boy could he point his 'phaser' at me, if you know what I mean ;) (Im shameless I accept it)

Someone earlier mentioned Spock and Sulu, but I must insist on it being Spock and Chekov. That would be so hot, right there on the floor of the bridge, lights dimmed, lens flare set to minimum, some gentle classical music playing (to make it classy and sophisticated sex) and Spock takes the reigns and shows Chekov how its done. *reaches for some kitchen roll* but on a serious note, good for him
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,664
    Forum Member
    Launch Fan wrote: »
    That reminds me! Never gonna happen. ST creator - now passed away - Gene Roddenberry famously said:

"Medical science (in the future) will have evolved to a point where gene design and repair could be corrected prior to birth or even conception, correcting problems related to hereditary disease, along with hormone irregularities that cause, for example, homosexuality."

So no gays in Star Trek's universe and JJ Abrams is sticking to the Roddenberry handbook.

This was back in the 60s mind, and I think he got attacked for suggesting it was hormonal, as opposed to "bad parenting" or whatever wacky thought process they had then.

He also caused outrage with the first inter-racial kiss on a TV show. 60s sounded fun :eek:

already has, behold the quite well made fan series! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24bSzDJTgYE im not a trakkie but my brother is and he watches these and though hes straight he says the gay made ones are the best funded so in this one i think its spock and kirk getting it on though its not graphic it is a serious attempt to keep star trek going in some form.
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Launch Fan wrote: »

However Gene was all for having a gay character, and if he'd have lived longer there probably would have been one on TNG. And we most certainly would have had one on Enterprise (Reed) if the execs at the time hadn't chickened out.

And who's to say that there isn't a gay character in the Abrahams-verse - after all we only saw Kirk and Spock chasing skirt.

Anywho, that's all a side story. Well done to Mr. Qunito for coming out,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    good luck to him, he did it because of the gay bullying
    teenagers face, i am a 48 year old man who gets constant
    abuse even in gay friendly countries, if he has helped save one persons life i totally applaud him