Options

Russell on last again?

Why is Russell always on last and who decides the running order?

Comments

• Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davebutch wrote: »

It's a "show" and "the show's not over until the fat gentleman dances."
  • Options
    acantheacanthe Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    It'd be interesting to keep a record of who's on last. Russel and Jason seem to be the most frequent finishers but I could be misremembering.
  • Options
    sueh21sueh21 Posts: 2,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'll be because of the X factor overlap.
  • Options
    Jan2555*GG*Jan2555*GG* Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Week 1 Fri Holly first Russell last
    Week 1 Sat Harry first Jason last

Week 2 Chelsee first Russell last

Week 3 Holly first Harry last

Week 4 Jason first Russell last

So yes a bit of a pattern of Russell being last emerging.
  • Options
    CubiteCubite Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    Saving the best till last.........

All joking aside, Russell bless his cotton socks is this years "John Sergeant" as in the comedy act and the comedy act is normally towards the end of the show...
  • Options
    TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hi Dave, its because dear Russell is the Star of the show.
  • Options
    justpootlingjustpootling Posts: 3,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Russell's teddy put on a star turn. Would've been funny if Teddy had had is own phone number so we could vote for him.

Was loving how Flavia was still holding him at the end of the show. :D
  • Options
    Fatima502Fatima502 Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    It will be in his contract. I suspect his manager would have stipulated that Russell would only do the show if he got favourable draws for long enough to keep him in without losing face. I don't know but I suspect that whoever goes out this weekend will have been drawn in the first four. Voters have simply forgotten about them by the time the lines open.

They really ought to devote an episode of ITT to the analysis of how dancers have been doomed by early draws. It's a lot more relevant that the costumes, music and, in some cases the dancing itself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fatima502 wrote: »
    It will be in his contract. I suspect his manager would have stipulated that Russell would only do the show if he got favourable draws for long enough to keep him in without losing face. I don't know but I suspect that whoever goes out this weekend will have been drawn in the first four. Voters have simply forgotten about them by the time the lines open.

They really ought to devote an episode of ITT to the analysis of how dancers have been doomed by early draws. It's a lot more relevant that the costumes, music and, in some cases the dancing itself.

That will never happen as it will show the BBC are deliberately manipulating the public vote. First week Jason does a crap performance and he's on first after weeks of being in the last three or four and top of the leader board.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    I do like Russell and Flavia but it is a bit unfair on the others as I reckon being last gives someone such an advantage votes wise. Holly tends to be at/near the beginning as well, which suggests the producers (or whoever decides the running order) doesn't think the public find her that entertaining.
  • Options
    scarlottiscarlotti Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sueh21 wrote: »
    Spot on - this is the real reason and it is working too! ;)
  • Options
    Dilly 1Dilly 1 Posts: 39,906
    Forum Member
    I don't think it is their choice to be last and they have said themselves in one of their interviews that it was very long and nerve wracking (or words to that effect) waiting on their turn.

I can only think that they are pretty popular and maybe pulling in the votes and therefore the producers are keeping them to go against X Factor.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hes a treat for the viewers..... apparently!

EDIT: Widdy was usually on last too!:rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sueh21 wrote: »
    scarlotti wrote: »
    Spot on - this is the real reason and it is working too! ;)

That's what I figured too. He's a ratings draw, believe it or not! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's what I figured too. He's a ratings draw, believe it or not! :D

Some people just watch to get a glimpse of dear Russell.
  • Options
    MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Russell, Robbie, Harry and Jason have clearly got the pick of the performing slots over the course of the series so far, with Anita and Nancy most favoured out of the women.

I know Holly has been out early a lot, but the one really getting the shaft in terms of performance order is Alex. She's been in a death slot pretty much every week out of the four.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    Hes a treat for the viewers..... apparently!

EDIT: Widdy was usually on last too!:rolleyes:

Dear Russell is a delightful treat for all of us.
  • Options
    Lizzie60Lizzie60 Posts: 450
    Forum Member
    It is the highlight of the show for hubby and me when Russell comes on. His sheer pleasure and enjoyment of the whole experience is a joy to watch. If he is last, the show finishes on a high
  • Options
    mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There does seem to be a formula for the running order this series. I am round friends houses a lot on Saturdays and tend to be travelling at the beginning of the show so I miss it, then I miss the end as the telly is switched over to X Factor. I have seen most of Harry and Chelsee's dances but I've never seen Russell's as he seems to always be on after we turn over. I've only just caught Holly tonight and have only seen Alex once, they seem to be on earlier.

I always seem to come in when Nancy and Anton have just finished and are getting a slaughtering from the judges!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That will never happen as it will show the BBC are deliberately manipulating the public vote. First week Jason does a crap performance and he's on first after weeks of being in the last three or four and top of the leader board.

It's not a direct manipulation. People can vote for who they like, but the results of these types of shows speak for themselves. A reasonably good act will be eliminated and this is presented as a "shock" result, but then if you look back you'll see that the act had an unfavourable draw.

I would say that the judges hold back from giving top marks to the early dancers, and then when the lines open the public just don't remember who went on at the start.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lizzie60 wrote: »
    It is the highlight of the show for hubby and me when Russell comes on. His sheer pleasure and enjoyment of the whole experience is a joy to watch. If he is last, the show finishes on a high

Beginning to wear a bit thin
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beginning to wear a bit thin

Exactly!
    Will the public take another couple of months of his clowning around? I don't think so.
    Likewise the "me, me, me," behaviour of Jason is doing him no favours and I don't expect the public will let him stay the course.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a direct manipulation. People can vote for who they like, but the results of these types of shows speak for themselves. A reasonably good act will be eliminated and this is presented as a "shock" result, but then if you look back you'll see that the act had an unfavourable draw.

I would say that the judges hold back from giving top marks to the early dancers, and then when the lines open the public just don't remember who went on at the start.

I think the running order is probably half decided by a team of professional dancers and then the BBC. The professionals attend training sessions or either view extended footage of the sessions, and then tell the BBC who's not up to scratch for that week. This info is then combined with the BBC's need to keep Russell and Olive Oil in the competition for ratings. These two will never be on early in the show. I suspect the BBC desperately wanted Jason off the top of the leader board last night so viewers maintained an interest in the series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly!
    Will the public take another couple of months of his clowning around? I don't think so.
    Likewise the "me, me, me," behaviour of Jason is doing him no favours and I don't expect the public will let him stay the course.

Lets hope dear Russell and Jason are still around at Christmas
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There does seem to be a formula for the running order this series. I am round friends houses a lot on Saturdays and tend to be travelling at the beginning of the show so I miss it, then I miss the end as the telly is switched over to X Factor. I have seen most of Harry and Chelsee's dances but I've never seen Russell's as he seems to always be on after we turn over. I've only just caught Holly tonight and have only seen Alex once, they seem to be on earlier.

I always seem to come in when Nancy and Anton have just finished and are getting a slaughtering from the judges!

I think I have spotted the flaw in your arrangement and the answer is to obtain custody of the remote control. XF is rubbish this year anyway ;)