Options

Is it possible to record something with subtitles?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,486
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The Sam Rockwell movie Choke is on Channel 4 on Friday but it finishes pretty late - 1:45am. I'd like to record it although I usually eat/drink while watching movies and therefore watch them with subtitles in case I miss anything. I know I could just turn on subtitles if I watched it on TV although could I record it with the subtitles on?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    depends on your recording method
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    depends on your recording method

I was going to record it onto a VHS tape - my DVD player doesn't record.
  • Options
    this_is_methis_is_me Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well VHS recorders that recorded subtitles directly were always pretty rare, so its very unlikely that yours will. So that means that in order to record subtitles it needs to be recording the output of a digital tuner (e.g. a set top box) with the digital subtitles switched on.

Or get a more modern recorder.
  • Options
    grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Sam Rockwell movie Choke is on Channel 4 on Friday but it finishes pretty late - 1:45am. I'd like to record it although I usually eat/drink while watching movies and therefore watch them with subtitles in case I miss anything. I know I could just turn on subtitles if I watched it on TV although could I record it with the subtitles on?

In that case, when you watch it drink throughout the movie, but be sure to only eat during the ad breaks, better still just pause the recording as you are eating.
  • Options
    GlomperGlomper Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC iPlayer auto records subtitles, but only for BBC Progs.

Perhaps Channel 4 has a similar on-line system ?
  • Options
    ScousingScowlerScousingScowler Posts: 934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Humax PVR records subtitles.

I tend to watch shows with subtitles because I tend to miss parts of the dialogue when I don't have them on. The accents can be a bit hard to understand sometimes.
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glomper wrote: »
    BBC iPlayer auto records subtitles, but only for BBC Progs.

Perhaps Channel 4 has a similar on-line system ?

And only online!
  • Options
    bbvbbv Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How noisy an eater are you? :eek:

I don't get how you eat and drink to a volume where you can't hear anything on your tv, but your eyes never leave the screen! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    ink171, what? :confused:
  • Options
    GilashGilash Posts: 7,137
    Forum Member
    My dvd player records subtitles, but it depends what make it is though. Not so sure about VHS tape though. I would not have thought so.:cool:
  • Options
    JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    I think that if you record off a TV with the digital subtitles switched on, via a Scart lead connected to the VCR than it should record OK.
    If you rely on the VCRs own tuner then I don't think you can (usually) have any subtitles.
  • Options
    mad_dudemad_dude Posts: 10,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of the later VHS records record subtitles I know my panasonic did but only from an analogue signals. You can just enable the subtitles on your freeview box and record the signal from that.
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was going to record it onto a VHS tape - my DVD player doesn't record.

Just stick the subtitles on, on your digibox. Your VCR will record what you normally watch.
  • Options
    this_is_methis_is_me Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    Just stick the subtitles on, on your digibox. Your VCR will record what you normally watch.

Only if the input to the VCR is the output of the digibox. The OP doesn't say. They might live in a pre-switchover area and still have the VCR connected directly to the aerial.
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    this_is_me wrote: »
    Only if the input to the VCR is the output of the digibox. The OP doesn't say. They might live in a pre-switchover area and still have the VCR connected directly to the aerial.

Before switchover, I just had my digibox looped through the VCR to the TV. You're going to want to record something at some point, and given that the OP is only concerned with recording subtitles and not programmes in general, then surely the VCR input is connected to the digibox output already.