Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 59)

Comments

• Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hate how certain people in this thread are trying to paint the troll as the victim. Open your eyes.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    I think ITV had been hurt by the On Digital fiasco, a resurgent BBC One and the growth of satellite television in this era as well. However, Allen and Simon Shapps had this view that ITV should mostly concentrate on the bottom of the viewing market and it really hurt them. Indeed in 2006 they were so clueless they ran repeats of old Paul O Grady against his new show on Channel 4, which benefitted no one
    Nowadays I think ITV is better. A Bruce Forsyth tribute to Sammy Davies Junior is surely as worthy as a similar programme on BBC Four, but again because it's ITV, who should really be showing Kerry Katona Meets Katie Price in some people's eyes, it won't be accepted.
    Yes I make Corrie jokes, but having to endure this until I was 16 and being bored rigid by it as a kid, might explain some things. However, it makes money and is big.

On Digital really hurt ITV's finances but the quality of the programming was really bad in places and helped BBC1. I still wince at the thought of Celebrity Love Island and Celebrity Wrestling!
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    On Digital really hurt ITV's finances but the quality of the programming was really bad in places and helped BBC1. I still wince at the thought of Celebrity Love Island and Celebrity Wrestling!

Even ITV executives drew the line at Celebrity Wrestling - how many episodes did it last in Saturday primetime before it was moved to Sunday morning?

If I recall correctly, Love Island actually performed decently for it's first series but collapsed in the second.
  • Options
    JayLee1JayLee1 Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brekkie wrote: »
    Hate how certain people in this thread are trying to paint the troll as the victim. Open your eyes.

Why is someone who speaks up for the BBC a "troll"? There are numerous posters on here who speak up only for itv but they don't get any flak or accusations of bias. I don't know enough about the politics of this thread but I've never seen the person in question being personal or rude about anyone; he just offers a viewpoint on the figures.

So my eyes are open, thank you very much.
  • Options
    BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    ITV wouldn't need to be defended so much if it wasn't being relentlessly attacked in this thread constantly post after post from every possible angle. If someone attacked BBC (or Channel 5) as often you can bet there would be some other people who wouldn't let the posts go unchallenged.

You only notice my posts because it goes against your agenda, you are happy for this thread to just be a long line of posts slagging off ITV day after day?

No wonder we've lost so many good members from this thread over the last year or so.

Just......wow.
  • Options
    northladnorthlad Posts: 1,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brekkie wrote: »

Can only agree with you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    Even ITV executives drew the line at Celebrity Wrestling - how many episodes did it last in Saturday primetime before it was moved to Sunday morning?

If I recall correctly, Love Island actually performed decently for it's first series but collapsed in the second.

Celebrity Wrestling was just one series, Love Island was so tacky I have nothing good to say about it. BBC1 wasn't much better either. Strictly Dance Fever with Graham Norton! :o
  • Options
    Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Let's Get Ready To Tumble sounds like Splash with gymnastics. I really do want to be pleasantly surprised but this is BBC1 light entertainment so I always fear the worst! :o

But in its defence, these words from former BBC LE producer Wayne Garvie.

https://twitter.com/garvie1/status/392348770215919616

"@garvie1: @MsLisaCampbell @tcmbigcheese all I would say is: they laughed at me when we launched strictly, The Times ripped me apart, now look at it!"

It does lend itself to a show though, there is a lot in Gymnastics to be judged and it could make for a very interesting show as there is a level of danger to it- I just worry how much they'll be able to do but done right its spectacular and it does have two famous Olympians (admittedly probably famous for participating in Celeb Reality shows themselves) attached and is launching of the back of some Commonwealth hype- Trail it right and get some decent celebrities on board and it could do really rather well and be a returnable summer hit that they desperately need. I'll be interested to see what strategy they take, too serious and they fall into Splash territory (Gabby Logan was so wrong for that show) take it too much of a joke and it might fall flat on its face (Literally) Its a real unknown and I'd like it to do well :)
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »

Celebrity Wrestling was a dire flop, ITV's equivalent of Don't Scare The Hare and died against Doctor Who, I think it was moved to Sunday mornings. Also the infamous Love Island./ Celebrity Love Island would have been better off on ITV2, as it was clearly aimed at their demos. However, shows like this really hurt the main channel's image for years and should anyone suggest this to Peter Fincham now, I think they would be shown the door immediately.
    Actually a hefty profit, good export sales and a bigger range of programmes suggest ITV plc is in good health. What I would now like to see them do is beef up ITV 2 as an entertainment and films channel, so when the main channel makes a mistake, there's a good alternative.
    I did incidentally meet Abi Titmuss in a hotel about two months before she set off for her appearance on CLI and she mentioned that the two men she was with were producers for a new show she was appearing in. This very engaging and pleasant young lady now has a career in theatre.
  • Options
    Jules 1Jules 1 Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JayLee1 wrote: »
    Why is someone who speaks up for the BBC a "troll"? There are numerous posters on here who speak up only for itv but they don't get any flak or accusations of bias. I don't know enough about the politics of this thread but I've never seen the person in question being personal or rude about anyone; he just offers a viewpoint on the figures.

So my eyes are open, thank you very much.

Agree with this.

I think there is a real problem with this thread atm, the divisive nature is getting worse.

People should stop treating their favoured channel so personally.
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    I did incidentally meet Abi Titmuss in a hotel about two months before she set off for her appearance on CLI and she mentioned that the two men she was with were producers for a new show she was appearing in. This very engaging and pleasant young lady now has a career in theatre.

:D:D:D
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jules 1 wrote: »
    Agree with this.

I think there is a real problem with this thread atm, the divisive nature is getting worse.

People should stop treating their favoured channel so personally.

Most people in real life don't have one. You never hear people go on about how much they love BBC One, or watching ITV is the highlight of their day, more the shows they enjoy wherever they come from. Me I've been watching British Eurosport in the pub, a channel which rarely graces these pages but is actually quite good for those of us who like smaller sports events.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cestrian18 wrote: »
    It does lend itself to a show though, there is a lot in Gymnastics to be judged and it could make for a very interesting show as there is a level of danger to it- I just worry how much they'll be able to do but done right its spectacular and it does have two famous Olympians (admittedly probably famous for participating in Celeb Reality shows themselves) attached and is launching of the back of some Commonwealth hype- Trail it right and get some decent celebrities on board and it could do really rather well and be a returnable summer hit that they desperately need. I'll be interested to see what strategy they take, too serious and they fall into Splash territory (Gabby Logan was so wrong for that show) take it too much of a joke and it might fall flat on its face (Literally) Its a real unknown and I'd like it to do well :)

When does Tumble start on BBC1? It sounds like a cheesy light entertainment show that will get 3/4m. I'm interested in how they pitch it. A potential unexpected hit seems unlikely but I would laugh if it took off.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have been happy with either In The Flesh or The Fall winning. The Great Train Robbery didn't deserve to be nominated instead of Peaky Blinders and thank God Southcliffe didn't get it!.

Last year I think BBC2 won the most at The Baftas. Deserved a couple this year.

Next year drama wise will be interesting. I think Line Of Duty and Happy Valley are the front runners. BBC2's The Honourable Woman is superb by all accounts and should be in the mix. The Great Fire and Villa on ITV could get in as well.

But it's the drama in 2015 going for BAFTA Awards in 2016 that will be amazing. Wolf Hall and Jimmy McGovern's Banished on BBC2, Channel 4's Indian Summers and Russell T Davies drama Cucumber, the return of Broadchurch on ITV, possibly Tom Hardy/Ridley Scott's Taboo for BBC1 and definitely War & Peace on BBC1 next year.

Look up those programmes and the big names involved. Could be some real heavyweight competition.

Wolf Hall has the potential to be a huge hit for BBC Two, the stage adaptations of both Wolf Hall and Bring up the Bodies has been well received by both audiences and critics and the cast of the television adaptation is incredible with Mark Rylance, Damian Lewis, Mark Gatiss to name but a few, I'm surprised it wasn't commissioned for BBC One but it'll give BBC Two another drama hit.
  • Options
    grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If people quoted less of those on ignore, it would be less likely to inflame others!! :D I think some here just can't handle a different view and take it way too personal.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    There were a few acts on BGT towards the start who didn't live up to their auditions and it felt a bit flat but the second half was a vast improvement.

Was Eastenders on Bank Holiday Monday last year? That's the only obvious factor I can see hitting the performance show, paired with a slight decline for the series so far. The results could be in a lot more danger if Corrie underperforms as it has done so far this year (and in recent years the results have been vulnerable enough anyway).

Wading into the current Ratings Thread soap opera arc...

From what I can tell, you've been leading the "save Samuel" patrol against those who are defensive when Samuel posts (and you're perhaps right, trolls are often best ignored). Except now you're picking up on Andy making an innocuous comment? Is this thread going to become equally obsessed with Andy now? ;-) I'm not sure I want to read wizzywick being obsessed with Andy being obsessed with Samuel.

I've been reading a bit less recently which means reading through a couple of days worth of posts at a time and at least for me, people being defensive or positive about a channel or show is far less tiring to read than a relentless assault on a channel.

I only ever come in to speak up for Samuel when post after post are pulling him to pieces. The other day for instance, there was no discussion about ratings, only Samuel. I would do the same about anyone, and did do the same for GeorgeS when he frequented this thread.

My highlighting of Andy's posts was to merely demonstrate that his posts are no different to Samuels in manner, only he can't see it. No, you won't have to read posts after post of wizzywick being obssessed with Andy being obssessed with Samuel. I don't have obssess about anyone - just observe. ;-)
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Its been revealed that the BBC will only have 40mins of buildup for England's first World Cup match.

It's been revealed by the BBC Media Centre and then repeated on the World Cup thread on the Broadcasting forum. Samuel, can you please cite your sources? It's bad manners not to. Anyway, this isn't much of a surprise given there's a match on at 8pm that day, any earlier would have been a waste of time because people would still be watching the live game on ITV. If nothing else, the news bulletin before it will be talking about it.
    May the BBC try and save even more money from F1 by only showing the British GP and last race live? Rest highlights.

Why would they want to do that? They're already saving money with the current deal and saving even more hardly seems a top priority, they were able to afford the FA Cup since they renewed it.
    ftv wrote: »
    I thought the Catherine Cookson dramas were made by Tyne Tees or was that after they merged with YTV, they carry the Tyne Tees logo.

They were indeed Tyne Tees productions and started, I think, just before the merger (although by the time they finished Tyne Tees was more or less entirely subsumed by Yorkshire). Of course, when ITV axed it the producers invited viewers to donate money to make another one for video release, but they didn't raise enough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    I thought the Catherine Cookson dramas were made by Tyne Tees or was that after they merged with YTV, they carry the Tyne Tees logo.
    They were indeed Tyne Tees productions and started, I think, just before the merger (although by the time they finished Tyne Tees was more or less entirely subsumed by Yorkshire). Of course, when ITV axed it the producers invited viewers to donate money to make another one for video release, but they didn't raise enough.

Weren't the later Catherine Cookson dramas on Fridays at 9pm? I think they were very successful there. I think Wexford in later years became a Friday 9pm show too. ITV used to do well in that slot and I don't think BBC1 did well there on the nineties apart from two series of Casualty.
  • Options
    MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    Could ITV go back and revisit the Catherine Cookson dramas? Remake a couple of them and see how they rate. With the success of Downton, period drama has a place in the ITV schedules. They would probably sell well overseas. I think ITV need to try and break away from the crime dramas that they always seem to churn out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Markynotts wrote: »
    Could ITV go back and revisit the Catherine Cookson dramas? Remake a couple of them and see how they rate. With the success of Downton, period drama has a place in the ITV schedules. They would probably sell well overseas. I think ITV need to try and break away from the crime dramas that they always seem to churn out.

I would like ITV to try this genre out again. Although in fairness they have attempted drama serials set in the past recently so things are looking encouraging. I strongly believe that in a couple of years from now, ITV, although soap reliant, will be a much more credible broadcaster than it is now, and even now with its mix of drama, documentaries, new comedies and LE formats, is far far more worthy than it was 5 years ago. I for one look forward to the days where choice is yet again dictated by quality on the big 2 channels. We're already getting there.
  • Options
    lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    UK TV Ratings ‏@TVRatingsUK 22s
    The first #BritainsGotTalent semi-final averaged 9.58m/41.0%, 700k down on last year's equivalent episode. The results drew 8.15m/35.2%.

Okay - Samuel and everyone else can you please not turn the thread into a warzone? PLEASE?!?!?!?!?! I beg of you.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    About where I expected BGT to be. There was no EE on the Monday last year so that will have knocked about 0.5m off the performances show. Be interesting to see what it peaked at.

The results show again about where I expected. If anything I thought it might have been a little worse given how weak Corrie has been recently.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    The first #BritainsGotTalent semi-final averaged 9.58m/41.0%, 700k down on last year's equivalent episode. The results drew 8.15m/35.2%.

Okay - Samuel and everyone else can you please not turn the thread into a warzone? PLEASE?!?!?!?!?! I beg of you.

The performance show is fine a 41% share is superb.

The results a little low, suggesting Corrie was around 8.2m. If so, its all well and good having a big week, but the episodes leading up to it need to be strong, not weak. That was EE problem in the last few years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lewiep93 wrote: »

Excellent for BGT. 700K is nothing in the scale of things. A good result for ITV and a wise decision by BBC1 to just stick a film on to counter it.

I hope Happy Valley does well tonight as it is genuinely good stuff, but the force of BGT is still good news for ITV. Incidentally, with BGT round about what it generally gets give or take a few 100K, does it suggest that Cowell's prescence in TXF will enhance its ratings or make no difference?
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,631
    Forum Member
    "Dangerfield" did welll for BBC One in the Friday night drama block for a couple of series. "Making Out" by Debbie Horsefield found itself in that 9.30 slot too for its first series but they promoted it to Tuesday nights.

Itv would probably want to move further from Catherine Cookson. They've just received a BAFTA for "Broadchurch". A critical and viewer success. I kinda think Cookson would take them backwards.
This discussion has been closed.