Options

First time flyer needing advice RE; nerves

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
Forum Member
First time flyer later this week, what's the best way to calm your nerves? I wouldn't suggest having a tipple to drink as it will only make me more jittery. I only conquered the fear (kind of) of roller coasters recently. Previously been abroad via boats. Many thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    Where are you flying to?

My first flight was Belfast to Edinburgh which only took about 15 minutes.

It helps to start with small journeys to get used to it.

But bar that take deep yogic breaths and take magnesium supplement as it is good for anxiety.
  • Options
    BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First time flyer later this week, what's the best way to calm your nerves? I wouldn't suggest having a tipple to drink as it will only make me more jittery. I only conquered the fear (kind of) of roller coasters recently. Previously been abroad via boats. Many thanks.

I hate flying I always get nerves before I have to go. The problem is with work I have to fly a lot. The worst part is always taking off and landing or if it gets a bit bumpy. To be honest 90% of the flight you would not know you where in air it is like your sat at home.

I tend to try and pass the time by reading anything to take you mind off thinking about the flying. If you focused on something else the time passes much quicker. So take a book, tablet device just have something to do. Also buy some sweets to suck, or buy a bottle of water after you pass security (no liquids in hand luggage so don't take to the airport with you). Take a little slip of water or a sweet if you worried helps with dry mouth and of course if you ears hurt due to pressure change.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    I think if your case is bad enough you can get a couple of diazepam tablets prescribed by the GP for it.
  • Options
    Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 26,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The worst part of flying these days is the airports, being herded from one endless queue to another and having to half strip to prove you're not a criminal whilst they bark at you for about fluids and clear bags or something. Once you manage to navigate your way past the endless shops and actually find an aeroplane you'll be so relieved you won't have time to worry about the flight.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flying is the safest way to travel by a long way.

The planes are ultra reliable, massively experienced pilots, multiple computer systems monitoring the planes systems.

Do you worry about travelling anywhere by car?

It's 857 times more likely that you'll die whilst travelling by car!
  • Options
    bhappyluvbhappyluv Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    Try and distract yourself during take off and landing by reading or doing a puzzle book or something. If your ears pop don't worry thats normal. Suck on boiled sweets to help with the ear popping. And if you feel nervous during the flight just tell the flight attendant, they deal with nervous flyers all the time.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Yes, take-off and landing are the worst for us nervous fliers. Landing doesn't bother me that much, actually, but I hate take-offs. Be aware that when taking off, the plane will often lurch around a little bit - this is perfectly normal. I always make sure I've got something really interesting to read - a page-turner of a thriller or something, so I'm not distracted. Ear-plugs will help drown out the sound of the engine. Once the plane is properly in the air, though, it's fine - you'll almost forget you are on a plane.
  • Options
    .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    Is a fear of flying course an option for you? They often have great success.

Distraction is good if you can watch a film or do a crossword or something. Oddly, learning in detail about flying and how it works really helps you to feel more comfortable and know what the aircraft is doing.

Sometimes an aisle seat is better as you have less of a motion of flying.
  • Options
    Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Foam ear plugs, sit forward of the engines if possible (much quieter), and let the cabin crew know.
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrew-W wrote: »
    Flying is the safest way to travel by a long way.

The planes are ultra reliable, massively experienced pilots, multiple computer systems monitoring the planes systems.

Do you worry about travelling anywhere by car?

It's 857 times more likely that you'll die whilst travelling by car!

How very reassuring!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How very reassuring!
    It is, as it puts flying into perspective.

Some people have no idea how safe it is so quoting figures can be the only way.
  • Options
    AmberPandaAmberPanda Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    You might find you are not nervous, I can remember the first time I flew and absolutely loved it :)
    If you think you will be nervous get something from the quack, hopefully you will be fine.
  • Options
    CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love take-off, it's my favourite bit of a flight. There's the lull of the flight preparing but then the excitement of taxiing to the runway then the take off with the engines cushioning you softly into your seat. No matter how many times I experience this it's great. Try turning your fear into excitement.
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to be very nervous when flying (my second flight was just 7 days after the Manchester air disaster) and I used to get tipsy, but that's not always an option - and doesn't always work! I've been much better since having children, as I have to hide the fear which tends to make it easier....so perhaps you could try to hide the fact that you are nervous? Also, I find the worst time is when the engines power up for take off - so I avoid looking out of the window, breathe in deeply through my nose and out through my mouth. I find that quite calming - if you breathe rapidly it will get worse.
  • Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flying is a doddle - no problem at all. The killer is stopping really suddenly.
    :)
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always sit at the back of the plane.
    You never hear of a plane reversing into a mountain.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    Always sit at the back of the plane.
    You never hear of a plane reversing into a mountain.

There's always a first time.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take a relaxation tape to listen to. Do some yoga breathing. Breathe in slowly to the count of 7 and then breathe out to the count of 11.