Breaking News: RBS to Move to London if Yes Vote comes.

Comments

• NewcastleNewcastle Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems the whole Lloyds Banking Group has decided to move south of the border too.
    Good! I was starting to think that I might actually have to switch banks. Can you imagine anyone in rUK leaving their money in Scottish bank :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Blinkered and naive. Bless. Everything is scaremongering isn't it? Scots ask for facts about what will happen if Yes is successful and then when the answers come, if it's something they don't like it's "scaremongering" and the UK's fault.

Oh, the oil is expected to dry up in around two decades time. What will pay for Scotland for the next 300 years? Tunnocks Wafers?

I'm using the Dear Leaders favourite term...."scaremongering"

It never ceases to amaze me with the amount of posters here who cannot spot obvious sarcasm. I guess this independence malarky is serious business to some.

I'm not sure if Tunnocks wafers can prop up the economy, but they could be used to reinforce the Forth Bridge if it gets a bit rickety.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Vernon was being deeply sarcastic ;-)

I'm not sure if Tunnocks wafers can prop up the economy, but they could be used to reinforce the Forth Bridge if it gets a bit rickety.

Apologies. I didn't realise Vernon was being sarcastic - but it was blooming convincing! So, you were simply imitating Mr. Salmonds favourite line!
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    James2001 wrote: »
    Oh, and it looks like Clydesdale have now said they'll relocate to England- that's all three then!

Clydesdale is a subsidiary of an Australian bank.

I must say the bankers really are pulling out the stops - they don't pay millions into Tory party coffers for nothing.

Perhaps Scotland can focus on developing productive industries rather then destructive ones. Cos when push comes to shove as Ireland and Iceland found focusing on banking is the road to ruin.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

It never ceases to amaze me with the amount of posters here who cannot spot obvious sarcasm. I guess this independence malarky is serious business to some.

Maybe that'll be the new currency...
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Clydesdale is a subsidiary of an Australian bank.

I must say the bankers really are pulling out the stops - they don't pay millions into Tory party coffers for nothing.

Perhaps Scotland can focus on developing productive industries rather then destructive ones. Cos when push comes to shove as Ireland and Iceland found focusing on banking is the road to ruin.

You mean like the oil industry?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe that'll be the new currency...

Tunnocks Teacake will be equivalent to a two pound coin, Tunnocks Wafer is a fiver and Irn Bru will be poured into little bottles as change!
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You mean like the oil industry?

And whisky?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Apologies. I didn't realise Vernon was being sarcastic - but it was blooming convincing! So, you were simply imitating Mr. Salmonds favourite line!

The funny thing that you've just demonstrated is that when Salmond uses the word, it is perfectly plausible and not questioned, yet if anyone else says it, it is suddenly considered blinkered and naive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    And whisky?

The silence of the Whisky companies is deafening. Could we even see in the future it renamed as "Pure Anglo Whisky" as it transfers to England too?
    Forum Member
    Tunnocks Teacake will be equivalent to a two pound coin, Tunnocks Wafer is a fiver and Irn Bru will be poured into little bottles as change!

I can just imagine it, lol :D
  • NewcastleNewcastle Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    This is not just about the Scottish. The predominantly rUK customer base of these Scottish domiciled banks need to know that their funds will be secure in the event of a Yes vote next week. Otherwise a Yes vote could cause a run on these banks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The funny thing that you've just demonstrated is that when Salmond uses the word, it is perfectly plausible and not questioned, yet if anyone else says it, it is suddenly considered blinkered and naive.

I don't find it plausible at all. I find it rather weak on his behalf. The way he uses it in such a dismissive manner is nothing short of imbecilic.
    Forum Member
    And whisky?

Ah yes, oil and whisky, such wholesome and healthy industries. ;-)
  • andyknandykn Posts: 66,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just been confirmed on the BBC News at Ten that the Royal Bank of Scotland has completed talks with the UK treasury and will move operations to London if Scotland votes yes next week.

I think it's only their HQ, it would be impossible to recruit enough trained staff outside London and prohibitively expensive to do so in London.
  • DontgimmeevalsDontgimmeevals Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    More scaremongering.

Forget the lender of last resort luxury rUK has - an independent Scotland has enough oil to compensate everyone bank accounts being wiped out with the recompensing of 2.4 tanks of diesel and as much Johnnie Walker as they can carry.

So you now you are going to use that finite resource called oil to fund bank accounts in the event of a bank run, bankroll the NHS, increase welfare and public expenditure.

Just two problems with that:

1) Oil isn't going to last forever.

2) There is not nearly enough of it to fund the dream you have of an independent Scotland.

It never ceases to amaze me with the amount of posters here who cannot spot obvious sarcasm.

Ok you'll have to ignore my above post then.

But it isn't obvious sarcasm, because it is exactly the type of idiocy Yes voters are coming out with.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andykn wrote: »
    I think it's only their HQ, it would be impossible to recruit enough trained staff outside London and prohibitively expensive to do so in London.

"Only their HQ" but it does mean that its profits will be declared in London and its taxes paid there.
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so story is: a troubled UK bank majority owned by UK government called RBS has a contingency plan to shift a small part of itself to London where the majority of its operations already are
  • Under SoulUnder Soul Posts: 2,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A day being a long time in politics - the poll lead for BT, the oil claims rebuffed and of course this. The bookies odds have widened against independence.

Are UKIP still coming on Friday though?? Think Cameron just got away with it (in fact many say his speech was good but wouldn't expect it to sway many voters).
  • lemonbunlemonbun Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    barky99 wrote: »
    so story is: a troubled UK bank majority owned by UK government called RBS has a contingency plan to shift a small part of itself to London where the majority of its operations already are

Your Financial Services sector will all deregister from Scotland and reregister in England.

If you don't understand why that matters, perhaps you should all be asking Alex some more questions.
  • D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found the story in the business section.

Royal Bank of Scotland has confirmed it has made contingency plans to move its headquarters from Scotland to London if there is a Yes vote in the referendum.

A Treasury source told the BBC that it had discussed the plans with RBS.

Lloyds Banking Group also said it could shift some business from Scotland, after customers contacted it for clarification on their finances.

However, the banking group said it was just a legal procedure and "there would be no immediate changes or issues".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29151798
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I'm not totally up to date but isn't RBS still owned by the UK tax payer? if so it makes sense it moves to the country with the largest population if one of the smaller states breaks away.

I read somewhere that a bank has to be in the country where the majority of shareholders are. Or in the case of RBS, that would be the British taxpayer in the UK. I've also read RBS will have to change it's name if it moves it's headquarters South.
  • DontgimmeevalsDontgimmeevals Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    I am sensing that quite apart from the division within Scotland after the vote, there is going to be a lot of backlash and hostility coming from the English for breaking the union.

Boycott of Scottish businesses and products? Or do we just not care?
  • geemonkeegeemonkee Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread - just people in the main having a good scoff, a bit of collective schadenfreude? Embarrassing...
  • andyknandykn Posts: 66,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Only their HQ" but it does mean that its profits will be declared in London and its taxes paid there.

Not entirely sure that will amount to a whole lot of money for a while. Lots of historic losses available to offset any profits.

And if I was Scottish I'd be looking to move my money away from a foreign bank, so perhaps Scotland will see profits from [ex] retail customers of RBS long before rUK sees any from the remainder.