Options

The best / your favourite chain pub

degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
Forum Member
What do you think is the best chain pubs for food, drink and atmosphere?

I'm thinking of food mainly as they all seem to have similar menus although I think Wetherspoons are cheaper than the others.

The types i'm thinking of are
Wetherspoons
Greene King / Hungry House
Ember Inns
Flaming Grill
Sizzler
Beefeater
Harvester
etc.

The topic is about those chains so don't just say they're all rubbish or that your local is better and cheaper. That's not the point.

Comments

• Options
    paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only two chains I can really comment on are Green King and Wetherspoons.

The Green King ones I have been in recently have had quite a good atmosphere with live sport and decent music. But on the downside the toilets in all the ones I have been in were absolutely rank! Like something out of the 1970s!

I've been in countless Wetherspoons and they have been almost identical. Reasonable drink prices and spotlessly clean but no atmosphere whatsoever .

Sometimes I think Wetherspoons dont know if they are a pub or a cafe.
  • Options
    Kim_xKim_x Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wetherspoons

Loved the Scream chain when they had the Rhubarb and Custard Brothers cider but it's been discontinued now.
  • Options
    Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wetherspoons are always consistent whereever you go - they're not fantastic quality, but for the price they're practically unbeatable.

Marstons pubs aren't too bad either, especially not with the 2 for 1 deal they have on all the time. I wouldn't ever pay full price for their meals though - you can get better quality in a proper restaurant.

Flaming grill is pretty good, at least the one I've been to is. Decent service, a very nice house white, and the steaks are generally good. (Wish they wouldn't insist on serving steaks on a bed of onions though - I always ask for them without, otherwise the whole steak tastes of onion and nothing else.)

ETA: My favourite would be Wetherspoons though - consistent quality, cheap, and a regularly changing menu.
  • Options
    ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member
    I don't like chain pubs - much prefer an independent country pub with proper home-made food than the microwave fodder served up in the chains.

This is my current favourite ale and eatery: http://www.stubbingwharf.com/
  • Options
    BrotherDanielBrotherDaniel Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ember inns ain't too shabby for a chain
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    I quite like Wetherspoons and Harvester
  • Options
    GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote for wetherspoons. They have some good pubs in town, and the prices are reasonable. The food is pretty good for the money too. No complaints.

Hungry Horse are rank for food, which is a shame as my local is one! However, in their defence, reasonable price for drink and a pretty lively atmosphere.
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Wetherspoons is ok, but I agree the atmosphere is a bit flat. It wins for being reasonably priced and the good layout of it's pubs though.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hooters, but out of that list I'd say Wetherspoons. However, I'm pretty lucky as the three nearest to me are all pretty decent.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't call Greene King a "chain pub". They may have a huge number of properties, especially in East Anglia, but they are all run as individual pubs and are very different.

Wetherspoons wouldn't be my first choice but if I'm visiting a town I don't know then they can be a safer, if more boring, option than picking a random independent pub. Most Spoons are OK but you do find the occasional one which is badly run, shabby and attracts the wrong sort of crowd.

I don't think I have been in a Harvester in about 20 years and the only time I go into a Beefeater is when I go out with my parent for a meal as it's the only pub near them which does, what they call, "proper food". I'd never go into one for a just a drink.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i don`t like chains, every wetherspoons i`ve eaten in has been shocking, almost every time i`ve "eaten" in one the food`s gone back uneaten and i`m not a fussy eater.
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say wetherspoons. I've eaten at a couple and it was okay although maybe a bit of background music would have been nice for a bit more atmosphere.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "The topic is about those chains so don't just say they're all rubbish or that your local is better and cheaper. That's not the point.
    I don't like chain pubs - much prefer an independent country pub with proper home-made food than the microwave fodder served up in the chains.

:o:o
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm sure we all prefer the Ritz to a Travelodge and The Ivy to McDoanalds, but sometimes you don't have the choice.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Likewise. No doubt we will be accused of being hipsters.
  • Options
    jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weatherspoons food - IMO - is awful. Eaten there twice and never again. Had 5 bean chilli which was stuck to the plate - over pinged.
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member

Did you not even read the OP? You have done what was specifically requested not to be done. I think everyone prefers proper pubs but that's not what this thread is about.

Personally my favourite chain is the Hungry Horse. Normally when the Girths visit a chain pub we have the kids in tow and the Horse is great for them. I've never had a bad meal in there either.

I think with chain pubs its about know what to order. Never order steak for example as they normally poorly cooked and rubbish quality meat, whereas something like scampi, which they just have to deep fry, you can't really go wrong.
  • Options
    Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do like Harvester - I love their salad bar. I only ever had the same meal there until recently when the menu changed (their Simply Pasta), but now I have tried their cauliflower cheese tart, and it is lovely too. And they used to do an awesome doughnut sundae. Harvester is nothing amazing, but you know what to expect and it's nice.

I like Beefeater, but I'm put off by it because the service at our local one is always so awful, it is diappointing. I like Flame Grill. And I like Vintage Inn pubs too.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,966
    Forum Member

I always go for the food that hasn't been microwaved to avoid that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I always go for the food that hasn't been microwaved to avoid that.

how do you ascertain that by just looking at a menu? even in pubs that don`t use 3663 and cook their own food some dishes are microwaved.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,966
    Forum Member
    how do you ascertain that by just looking at a menu? even in pubs that don`t use 3663 and cook their own food some dishes are microwaved.

I have steak normally, that's not microwaved. There are other items that are probably reheated but would be reheated anywhere anyway, such as lamb shanks.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wetherspoons - wherever there is a Weatherspoons you can rely up on a decent loo to use :D (as my Dad always said)
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harvester... Purely for the deserts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have steak normally, that's not microwaved. There are other items that are probably reheated but would be reheated anywhere anyway, such as lamb shanks.

ah yes, i didn`t think of steak. some things are fine if they`re microwaved with respect rather than whacked in for indiscriminate blasting, vegetables are the worst.
  • Options
    prgirl_cescaprgirl_cesca Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    I like Wetherspoons for cheap easy meals if I am on a budget.

I like Hall & Woodhouse pubs who are mainly based in the South of the UK for a bit more upmarket pub grub and good beers.