Options

ZOMG! People have to switch on phones at aiports. Outrage!!!

Comments

• Options
    Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happens if your battery has died and you rely on AC power? People don't think these things through properly. Sounds daft to me. Another thing to inconvenience people.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What happens if your battery has died and you rely on AC power? People don't think these things through properly. Sounds daft to me. Another thing to inconvenience people.

What happens if you misplace your passport?
    What happens if you get to the airport late?
    What happens if you overfill your luggage and don't have enough money to pay for the extra luggage cost?

You're travelling by plane so you ensure you're prepared for the flight. That means you have your passport, your luggage meets the size and weight requirements, you arrive at the airport in sufficient time to check-in, you ensure you have sufficient battery life in your electronic device. It's all part of the pre-flight preparation, albeit one additional step.

Seems some people just see this as another reason to moan.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happens if you overfill your luggage and don't have enough money to pay for the extra luggage cost?

You're travelling by plane so you ensure you're prepared for the flight. That means you have your passport, your luggage meets the size and weight requirements, you arrive at the airport in sufficient time to check-in, you ensure you have sufficient battery life in your electronic device. It's all part of the pre-flight preparation, albeit one additional step.

This, especially the BIB.

I can just see myself at Gatwick stuck behind someone who spends more time arguing about turning their phone on than it would have taken to have just got on with it
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just seems to me to be another excuse to keep this country on it's toes. As has already been mentioned. This new mesure will not stop anyone from blowing up a plane, just more to make people more paranoid than they already are and keep them plyable.

Why do you let them do this without question?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely your phones are on when you go through security anyway? You only turn it off/on flight mode during take off.

It won't change the way I do things in the slightest.
  • Options
    and101and101 Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happens if your electronic device doesn't contain a battery, like a mains powered electric shaver or iron? Will they provide power and wait while you show it works by having a shave and ironing some shirts?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redrose89 wrote: »
    Surely your phones are on when you go through security anyway? You only turn it off/on flight mode during take off.

It won't change the way I do things in the slightest.
    Its not just about phones tho, cameras, game's machines laptops, dvd players tablets etc
    To help keep the little ones amused and not annoying other people. Now you have to make sure they leave a charge on it.
    Easy on some trips but not on others

This will not affect me either, but I can imagine how hard it will be for some.
  • Options
    pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My oddest security search was having to take my glasses off to have them scanned (with the rest of my hand luggage), then walk through the security gate without them on.
    I fail to see what i could hide in a pair of glasses
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    The same people complaining about having to turn on a phone are the same people who will call racism if you say you're worried about terrorism.

Sometimes my phone is still on when I'm going through the X Rays. I've got nothing to hide and when I want to get on my flight and go on holiday, I don't care if the security want to go through my selfies or my texts. If it means I'm safe, I'll take that chance.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not just about phones tho, cameras, game's machines laptops, dvd players tablets etc
    To help keep the little ones amused and not annoying other people. Now you have to make sure they leave a charge on it.
    Easy on some trips but not on others

This will not affect me either, but I can imagine how hard it will be for some.

As long as there is enough battery to keep it on during security checks it's not ideal but maybe turn it off for a while during check in and on again through security? There's ways round it.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seems to me to be another excuse to keep this country on it's toes. As has already been mentioned. This new mesure will not stop anyone from blowing up a plane, just more to make people more paranoid than they already are and keep them plyable.

Why do you let them do this without question?

Because it might save lives. What's the hardship of turning your laptop on and then once it's booted up, then turn it off again? Loads of people are getting SSDs, so it wouldn't take long at all to wait for your laptop to boot up. People that use planes regularly will easily have the money to buy an SSD so that booting their laptop up to show the staff at the airport won't take long at all.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Do you think there'll be a problem with the welcome message on my phone 'Allah Akbar! May the infidels perish in a sea of blood'?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    The security bit is fine with me. It's the bit where you have to wait in line like cattle just to have someone scan your passport. Surely a better solution would be self service scanners for those who have a chip in their passports? Why do they never seem to be in use or operational!?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »
    The security bit is fine with me. It's the bit where you have to wait in line like cattle just to have someone scan your passport. Surely a better solution would be self service scanners for those who have a chip in their passports? Why do they never seem to be in use or operational!?

They are at JFK in New York.
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this only for US-bound flights?

Also what about handheld game consoles eg Nintendo DS?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    Is this only for US-bound flights?

Also what about handheld game consoles eg Nintendo DS?
    All flights and all devices.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and101 wrote: »
    What happens if your electronic device doesn't contain a battery, like a mains powered electric shaver or iron? Will they provide power and wait while you show it works by having a shave and ironing some shirts?
    I hadn't looked into it, but as all the outrage, faux and otherwise, has focused on phones and laptops, at first I thought you must have mis-understood the latest regulation, but no. I bothered to check and you're absolutely right. It also covers, from the BBC article:
    "...a range of other electronic devices such as electrical shavers, travel irons, hairdryers, hair-straighteners...".

As you say, unless each security checkpoint area has sockets, how can you turn them on? Even if they do, will they provide travel adaptors if your 'device' is from a different country? If the answers are yes, then this whole issue is moot anyway. For want of a two pin adaptor, the honeymoon was lost. For want of a honeymoon, the marriage was lost. (Continue at your own amusement. :D)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    They are at JFK in New York.

Maybe I'm just unlucky, but they always seem to be closed and the line is always a mile long.
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    Andy2 wrote: »
    Surely any determined bomber could remove the battery pack, fit a small one with enough juice to 'demonstrate' the device working, and pack the rest of the compartment with explosive? Or am I missing something?

That was my immediate thought when I heard of this, even easier with laptops where the manufacturer will often do two battery packs, both the same physical size, but the "standard" one will use lower density cells or have empty space/dummy cells in the battery casing.
    I'm fairly sure if we can think of such an issue the terrorists can and will have already done (I can think of a few other things that could be done but I'm not going to post them:))

All this is going to do is cause people who may have forgotten to charge their device, or been using it on whilst in the airport waiting room run into problems.

Maybe if airports introduced free (or even just cheap) charging points in sufficient quantity for modern use it might help especially if there are delays when people will likely be using the devices more..
  • Options
    TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    If a lady has a 7 inch Pink Pearl in her handbag is it an electronic device and does she have to demonstrate that it works..........? :)
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    Because it might save lives. What's the hardship of turning your laptop on and then once it's booted up, then turn it off again? Loads of people are getting SSDs, so it wouldn't take long at all to wait for your laptop to boot up. People that use planes regularly will easily have the money to buy an SSD so that booting their laptop up to show the staff at the airport won't take long at all.

Even with an SSD a full boot can take 60 seconds, especially with the sort of rubbish pre-loaded on most store bought machines, and where you find that a manufacturer will fit an SSD as a selling point, but pair it with sub par CPU and low memory.

It's also possibly going to be a problem seeing everyone start up their
    Mobile phone
    Laptop
    E-reader
    Camera
    Any other devices.

The amount of time required to power up and demonstrate everything adds up massively, so it's not just a minute, it's potentially a minute+ per device, on top of all the other checks.
  • Options
    SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    Andy2 wrote: »
    Surely any determined bomber could remove the battery pack, fit a small one with enough juice to 'demonstrate' the device working, and pack the rest of the compartment with explosive? Or am I missing something?

Or, indeed, rig it so it explodes when switched on. Granted, not a big target, but it will kill some people in the airport and make a mockery of this 'security measure' which is being handily publicised for the terrorists.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As it's only US flights that are impacted, would someone really take an iron / hair straighteners / hair dryer / shaver, etc as hand luggage? Surely they would be in the hold luggage?
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My laptop battery has a life of about 3 minutes so there's a very high chance that my laptop's battery will be flat at any given time during a trip, even if it was charged just before I left the house.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As it's only US flights that are impacted, would someone really take an iron / hair straighteners / hair dryer / shaver, etc as hand luggage? Surely they would be in the hold luggage?
    Is it though? The official advise states (my bolding):
    In line with the US advice, passengers on some routes into and out of the UK may now also be required to show that electronic devices in their hand luggage are powered up or face not being allowed to bring the device onto the aircraft.
    For obvious reason we will not be commenting in detail on the routes affected.